Golf as a Stress Reliever?

Gunner

MVP
Reaction score
Handicap
9.0 USGA
This was briefly discussed on Morning Drive today with respect to Presidents use of the game of golf to decompress and relax. Certainly this is different for people who play the game for a living vs. those of us who play recreationally. Do you use the game as a way to relax or get away from the stresses of work, home or other things?

I personally love my time at the range or course to relax. I turn my phone off and get away from the constant questions, and calls from work. My people know not to bother trying to reach me during my usual golf hours in the summer. When I can put myself in a nice stress free state of mind on the course I usually play my best golf. It goes the same when something may not go my way on the course. If I can forget it quickly and focus on the next shot I'll play much better than dwelling on or trying to fix what went wrong.

It used to be.
I think in some ways it still is.
But that changes when you have to be connected.

Golf is my escape. When I played and taught it was not even close but now, it my great escape and my source of relaxation.

I use golf as a means to relax, but my phone stays on. If I am needed for work, that takes precedent. The reason I can afford golf is because of work, no way am I going to bite the hand by neglecting customers.

I use my time on the course to escape. Whether on the range or on the course, it's my time to disconnect and allow myself to let my guard down a bit. Ironically I do a lot of thinking on the course because I have a sense of clarity while golfing.

Golf is where I can take my mind off everything and just enjoy things for a few hours. The focus of the game keeps me from wandering back to thinking about work and whatever else and it indeed is a stress reliever for me.

Golf is my personal space. I turn the phone off! I know not many people do this anymore.

Golf is therapy for me. It allows me to shove whatever is bothering me, or stressing me out all the way to the back burner and not worry about it for a few hours.

It's my escape but also an avenue for me to compete.

It's always my escape from the day to day, especially now with my wife and kids and working 6 days a week.

I love being outside and alone on a course during the golden hour.

As you know Gunner, the most peaceful time I have in my life is usually on the golf course. It seems like everything slows down around me. There are times that I get aggravated or annoyed because I do something stupid. However for the most part, I am pretty calm, cool and collected on a golf course. I would say it is definitely a stress reliever for me. My favorite times golfing are with a buddy or two, just my dad, or by myself.

The other 5% of the time???
76532821-man-throwing-golf-cart-into-lake-gettyimages.jpg

Spent my career making split second life/death decisions, nothing on the golf course is not relaxing.

Golf now is my escape from reality for 4 hours. Being outside in nature, enjoying the sounds, the wind and sunlight on my face, the hitting a good drive on any hole and just taking a step back and enjoying life no matter what is going on around you.

It's always an escape for me. I think of nothing else but golf, the outdoors, & the task at hand. I don't like other distractions while on the course.

As you know Gunner, the most peaceful time I have in my life is usually on the golf course. It seems like everything slows down around me. There are times that I get aggravated or annoyed because I do something stupid. However for the most part, I am pretty calm, cool and collected on a golf course. I would say it is definitely a stress reliever for me. My favorite times golfing are with a buddy or two, just my dad, or by myself.

The other 5% of the time???
76532821-man-throwing-golf-cart-into-lake-gettyimages.jpg

Can't argue with the truth, lol.

Golf is the only part of my life where I can make idiotic decisions and not suffer anything else other than a lousy score or lost bet. The rest of life isn't that forgiving.

Definitely golf is my stress reliever. Last night I spent most of the night watching/investigated a male have his chest cavity opened up because he was shot because of his drug life. First thing I did today was go to the range to get my thoughts away from it for a bit.

Golf is a way to get away for me. Whether it is with friends, alone, on the range, or putting green, just being outside is refreshing. i may not always like the results I see, but definitely relaxing.

Yes I agree 100%, golf is my stress relief, my escape, my zen. its what I can go to when i need to disconnect from life for a bit and just relax and focus myself.

No matter the sport that is my time for me. I don't know if I put it in the relax category but my mind is not thinking about anything but the sport I'm playing.

It's a stress reliever for me. My job can be hectic at times so my time on the course is relaxing no matter what I score. Being outside with friends is as good as it gets.

Golf is my escape. When I played and taught it was not even close but now, it my great escape and my source of relaxation.

Same here. That is why I'm able to shut off my phone and stay tuned into the people I'm with, nature, the course and the game. I shut the rest of the world and life off when I golf. I feel sorry for anyone else that can't do that. You are missing something special. Do yourself and your playing partners a favor, leave your cell phone in the car!

Golf has definitely been an escape for me and chance for me get rid of stress. With one of my prior jobs, Friday nights were spent on the golf course getting rid of the work week and putting me in the right frame to enjoy the weekend.

Golf is definitely a stress reliever for me as is hitting the range after work. Once upon a time I took the game too seriously but those days have been gone for 20+ years. Many of my rounds are as many holes as my 10 year old daughter and I can get in after dinner and she is an absolute joy on and off the golf course. She also loves driving the golf cart! My perspective has changed in recent months to appreciate my kids and family time even more with my oldest headed 1500 miles away to college in only 6 months. I guess as I get older I appreciate all the things I love a little more each year.

Back