Callaway XR16 Driver Review Thread

10.5 with a slight open face lie I believe is what we finally went with. He changed it for a few swings on the range Saturday but then changed it back and said he liked it slightly open for me.

so i'm guessing 10.5 head at -1/N setting?

I had been putting it off for serious testing for too long. I watched testers pick up yards. I watched my friend Tim (you know him) buy his first Callaway driver in 6 years after testing it on FlightScope against every other driver out in 2016 and so I did some testing. I really ended up liking it way more than I thought. So tomorrow it goes into play at a really tight course and I am looking forward to seeing what comes out of it.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I hit this again today next to the DBD and by the visual and feel test this one just appears to work. I don't have any actual numbers to compare to anything unfortunately. But I'm really liking this year's model.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I hit this again today next to the DBD and by the visual and feel test this one just appears to work. I don't have any actual numbers to compare to anything unfortunately. But I'm really liking this year's model.

Ill see what I can grab for you tomorrow.

First time poster...just found this site. Today I pulled the trigger on the XR16... Bought it at the local GG. I have hit this thing at least 5 different times and the results, for me, are outstanding. SS right around 90, carrying right around 220 with around 20 yards of roll. Spin was right @ 2200 and 14* launch. I looked at a number of different drivers, but kept coming back to the XR16. Was hitting the G15 prior to buying this club. Really excited about this baby.

:welcome: keep us posted on your thoughts.

The XR 16 was a rocket launcher for me today.
8 Tee shots with it.

Averaged 247.7 according to GPS and most of it was all carry. I hit every fairway but 1 with with the XR16.

Think next round I will put my Grandura 590 in it and see what happens.

THIS will be the combo I have been waiting to hear about. That 590 for you is stellar.

8 Tee shots with it.

Averaged 247.7 according to GPS and most of it was all carry. I hit every fairway but 1 with with the XR16.

What shaft is in it now? I just recieved my Pro yesterday and hit a few with it last night. Love the trajectory and oh that sound.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

PX HandCrafted

8 Tee shots with it.

Sounds very similar here! :D

Most excellent!

I finally got the right shaft for me in this one. Matrix Red Tie and so far it's a bomber. Spin avg 2700, increased Clubhead speed from avg 98/100 to avg 101/103. Carry 250/255 with roll to 265/270 and I'm 60. I've got a winner here. And dispersion is much better. All in the engine. GBB on the bench for now.

Going to run with this one again on Sunday playing with THPers.

This is driver will be mine soon. I'm just on the fence about what shaft to order it with: speeder 665 stiff or 565 X flex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is driver will be mine soon. I'm just on the fence about what shaft to order it with: speeder 665 stiff or 565 X flex.

Excellent!! Are you already pretty straight with the driver? Want more length?

Excellent!! Are you already pretty straight with the driver? Want more length?

Not really straight but in play. Looking for carry over over all distance so more interested in launch and peak height.

Not really straight but in play. Looking for carry over over all distance so more interested in launch and peak height.

Which one you leaning on?

Which one you leaning on?

Right now I have a speeder evo 757 stiff that I'll keep to use the XR 16 but I also want to try another option just to compare and see if the higher launch characteristics of the xr16 would work better with mid spin or low spin shaft. I also have a speeder TS 7.2 stiff to test

Right now I have a speeder evo 757 stiff that I'll keep to use the XR 16 but I also want to try another option just to compare and see if the higher launch characteristics of the xr16 would work better with mid spin or low spin shaft. I also have a speeder TS 7.2 stiff to test

Sounds like your on the right track. I'm amazed my spin is now in the low 2,000's.

Here's my number in the purple section for 10.5 XR 16 with D+ 70s shaft. I'm trying to get close to 15* launch with 2500 spin

99404674ed4361a182855d790e74d381.jpg

Here's my number in the purple section for 10.5 XR 16 with D+ 70s shaft. I'm trying to get close to 15* launch with 2500 spin

99404674ed4361a182855d790e74d381.jpg

Yea, I would try and get that launch down a little bit! You are the exact opposite of me! I'm lower launch but my ball speed is higher so I can get away with it.

Yea, I would try and get that launch down a little bit! You are the exact opposite of me! I'm lower launch but my ball speed is higher so I can get away with it.

Well I do have a 50g X flex shaft I could try that might increase club head speed.

I like the looks but got better results with "the great big Bertha"!

So I go back to the first time I was with THPers that got to test this one out. I had been playing the Great Big Bertha and ddec is on the range next to me at the Grandaddy and comes over and says "Yup, its that awesome". I then watched him hit ball after ball, straight and long. Since that time, he has continued to talk about it, and I have gone in full testing mode with this one.

So I go back to the first time I was with THPers that got to test this one out. I had been playing the Great Big Bertha and ddec is on the range next to me at the Grandaddy and comes over and says "Yup, its that awesome". I then watched him hit ball after ball, straight and long. Since that time, he has continued to talk about it, and I have gone in full testing mode with this one.

Just silly how easy it is to hit!! I haven't said that about a driver in a long, long, long time.

I went with the pro, hit them both and the forgiveness seemed almost identical to me. I like the look of the smaller footprint at address and love the deeper face. Have only hit about 40 balls with it this week. Will have it one the course Sunday if the bit of snow we got today melts tomorrow. Indoors I seemed to pick up 2-3 mph club head speed. LA lower, and spin lower than the GBB I had. More than likely the shaft combo. Just have confidence looking down at it, and that's 75% of the battle for me.

Back