Bubba-Proofing Augusta National

With Bubba's length and ability to curve it either which way, I don't think you can Bubba Proof it. If you want to mess with him (and others) they need to make the green complexes trickier. These guys are good, you're not gonna out trick them much tee to green.

Here's an idea though... How about they do nothing and just let the person who shoots the lowest wins?

Such a novel concept! The reactions to the occasional player dominating in Augusta is funny to me. The course is already tough as is, as long as the entire field isn't running roughshod over the course I don't see what the issue is.

What if Scott or Spieth wins? How on earth would you Spieth-proof a course?

What if Scott or Spieth wins? How on earth would you Spieth-proof a course?

Don't cut the greens? If they rolled at a 10, not sure players would know what to do

For Bubba, doesn't it come down to whether he putts well that week or not? That's why he only wins every other year. Greens already run 13-15 on the stimp meter. Can't make it too long for him, not possible and let anyone else have a chance. I guess find all his typical landing areas and put in more bunkers....but that's a stretch!!

I think this talk will get stronger come Masters week. The course sets up good for lefty who fade it off the tee. Bubba and Phil are good examples. Both are proven winners there and playing well going into the masters. It would not shock me if we have 2 leftys at the top of the leader board this year.

I think this talk will get stronger come Masters week. The course sets up good for lefty who fade it off the tee. Bubba and Phil are good examples. Both are proven winners there and playing well going into the masters. It would not shock me if we have 2 leftys at the top of the leader board this year.

I agree, but is it a result of the course design or the fact that Phil and Bubba are just killing it this year?

This is an interesting topic and there have been some great points made. I would imagine that if we see another lefty win the green coats at Augusta National would certainly have a talk about something, maybe we'd see something subtle like a new tree here or there or maybe some more "2nd cut" in areas but I don't see anything dramatic being done I guess. Tiger proofing was more of a change to what they saw in the future of the game, and sure enough, we've seen distance starting to dominate the tour and Augusta did what they felt they had to do a few years back to stay one step ahead of that. Now we've seen that there are other ways to toughen up the test for today's biggest hitters so the courses aren't stretching out to 8500 yards or something. I like Augusta because it doesn't fit everyone, but it fits those who can manage their game and makes putts, year in year out the guys making putts do well here.

Make it a putt putt course. Bubba won't fair too well

I don't know about that...

With Bubba's length and ability to curve it either which way, I don't think you can Bubba Proof it. If you want to mess with him (and others) they need to make the green complexes trickier. These guys are good, you're not gonna out trick them much tee to green.

Here's an idea though... How about they do nothing and just let the person who shoots the lowest wins?

Agreed.

Of course, if you wanted to Bubba proof it let the fans in really really really close to him and he won't be able to handle that.

I agree, but is it a result of the course design or the fact that Phil and Bubba are just killing it this year?
A little of both, I do think the Masters is the one major guys are most likely to win coming in on bad form. Because the course is basically the same every year. I think guys like Phil, Bubba, etc are able to relax and play golf. They can fall back on all that success and build off it. As soon as they drive down Magnolia lane a switch goes off and they say green jacket here I come.

You see it at other events as well. Think about how many guys always play well at certain tournaments. There is alot to be said for comfort factor.

My thought is leave it be. Being lefty friendly isn't the same thing as getting over whelmed by never before seen power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little of both, I do think the Masters is the one major guys are most likely to win coming in on bad form. Because the course is basically the same every year. I think guys like Phil, Bubba, etc are able to relax and play golf. They can fall back on all that success and build off it. As soon as they drive down Magnolia lane a switch goes off and they say green jacket here I come.

You see it at other events as well. Think about how many guys always play well at certain tournaments. There is alot to be said for comfort factor.

I guess that I don't see the problem with this. And not saying that you do. Just wondering why it would be so bad to just enjoy the course, enjoy the great golf, and celebrate the winner of the best Major Championship?

Augusta has a serious self worth complex. Instead of celebrating good golf on a historic course designed by Bobby Jones for both professional and amateur players alike, they want to continue to bastardize that real estate and make it something it's not.

I actually think the course has gotten less interesting with all of the redesigns they've done. I know it's sacrilege to say anything bad about that course and tournament, but so be it.

I think it's less of a lefty issue and more of guys who can hit the ball high and land it soft will succeed. Just so happens leftys get to hit the high fade on a lot of holes but if a righty hits it high they are in the money (Tiger, Rory). If Rory doesn't mentally fold he runs away with it. Hit it high, land it soft and putt lights out.

How did Zach Johnson win? He is the opposite of the prototype Masters winner. Love that guy, grinds like no one else.

Augusta has a serious self worth complex. Instead of celebrating good golf on a historic course designed by Bobby Jones for both professional and amateur players alike, they want to continue to bastardize that real estate and make it something it's not.

I actually think the course has gotten less interesting with all of the redesigns they've done. I know it's sacrilege to say anything bad about that course and tournament, but so be it.

I agree. It's a slippery slope and at this rate there will be redesigns anytime a phenom comes along and tears the course up. I used to live in Augusta. There's not much room left around that course to expand so it's going to be interesting to see what they do.

How did Zach Johnson win? He is the opposite of the prototype Masters winner. Love that guy, grinds like no one else.
Bad weather, new redesign, laid up on every par 5, stuck it close and won with a score over par.
I agree. It's a slippery slope and at this rate there will be redesigns anytime a phenom comes along and tears the course up. I used to live in Augusta. There's not much room left around that course to expand so it's going to be interesting to see what they do.
It would be great if the redesign was going back to the same tees they played on for 60+ years. Really blow some minds.

I think the best way to bubba proof it would be to allow the crowd to yell stupid stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bubba doesn't overpower Augusta the way Tiger did back in the late 90's early 2000's when it was quite a bit shorter. Personally just think this course suits Bubba's eye as most tee shots and allow for him to bend the ball all he wants. Bubba doesn't seem to like courses that are straight forward and force him to hit it a certain way off the tee.

He only needs a few more W's or reaching the number 1 spot and he's going to retire anyways. :eek:k:

Just make 13 & 15 par 4's for the tournament so the winning score is around par + or - and the members will be happy... (assuming Jordan doesn't go nuts again this year)

I don't think you can Bubba proof that course. He has so much movement to his ball from both direction and has the length. Move Augusta to AZ and then maybe he will have issues.

As much as I think "proofing" a course like Augusta is an absolutely stupid idea, I think the only way to "Bubba proof" it is to make it shorter, thus taking away his advantage to hit accurate shots working either way 300 yards.

Wouldn't any righty who hits a high draw have the same "advantage" off the tee?

Wouldn't any righty who hits a high draw have the same "advantage" off the tee?

Easier to hit a high fade that lands soft than a high draw.

Just need to hold a long drive contest on the par 5's and some other "gimmick" contest, should make him not want to use driver.

Back