Shafts: trimming, sleeve installation

Is there some trick I'm missing. I've never had the epoxy on a standard bonded club fail after a reshaft (that I'm aware of) but I have had the bond fail on a driver and three wood with adapters. I've noticed the tight fit and wondered if there's room for enough epoxy to get in to form a solid bond. I installed an adapter and put together a traditional bonded club on the same night with the same epoxy and the traditional bond has held despite repeated hitting off a mat. The three wood after five hits off a tee failed.

I remove the pain at the tip, put epoxy inside the adapter and the tip of the shaft and then install twisting the shaft for even coverage. I let them try more than the appropriate amount of time.

It's getting to where I'm feeling a little gun shy when installing adapters so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Need to rough up the inside of adaptor and make sure epoxy gets into the shaft tip

I had the same issue with a callaway tip, just make sure you rough up the inside of the adapter and clean it out with a que tip and acitone. I set the ferrule on first then put epoxy on the shaft and in the adapter and slide it on twisting it up to the ferrule. I think if you push the adapter and ferrule on as one piece you lose all the epoxy on the shaft tip so it's better to seat the ferrule first. Did that and never had another problem.

What Stubbs said^^^^

Roughing up the inside of the adapter sounds like it may be the key for you to get a better bond. I have installed 4 adapters this year and all have been fine. The inside of a new adapter seems to be smooth the best I can tell be looking down them. I have a stiff wire brush tool that I got from Golf Works that I push in the adapter, or club head hosel, and twist around to roughen up the inside.

I have installed about 5 or 6 and never had a problem. As others said sand both the shaft, inside and out and the adapter. Clean with solvent then epoxy with correct mix. Should work every time.

I agree with everyone. Roughing up the inside, just like you would a steel shaft is key as is making sure everything is super clean. Acetone will do the cleaning.

Make sure you use slow cure epoxy and rotate the shaft after install a couple of times within the hour to ensure the epoxy doesn't pool in any particular way.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Thanks fellas. Roughing up the inside of the adapter is the step I was skipping. I don't know why but I just assumed they were ready to install. Can't wait to give it a go on my next project.

I'm installing a new shaft into a Callaway dual cog adapter. Anyone know just how much of the tip needs to be prepped? I want to put tape over the area near the tip that I don't want getting roughed up at all but wasn't sure just how much needs to be prepped with the adapter and ferrule. Guessing maybe 1.25" or something like that?

I'm installing a new shaft into a Callaway dual cog adapter. Anyone know just how much of the tip needs to be prepped? I want to put tape over the area near the tip that I don't want getting roughed up at all but wasn't sure just how much needs to be prepped with the adapter and ferrule. Guessing maybe 1.25" or something like that?

Inch and a quarter should be fine Cookie.

I have been buying the CMX adapters from Billy Bobs golf, there is no ferrule on these so you can pull them and reuse them as much as you like with out having to replace any ferrules. They also sell replacement ferrules for most OEM adapters if you want to go that route. lots of good info on installing and removing them in this thread. Just be sure and clean the shaft tip and inside the adapter with acetone after your rough them up. I use emery cloth to sand the tips on graphite shafts. Same stuff plumbers use to rough up copper before they sweat a joint. Works great.. I use a golfsmith shaft puller with a Wagner heat gun I bought at home depot for $19.95 to pull shafts and it works great too.

Before I have to worry about installing it I need to find the adaptor. Where's the best place to get an adaptor that fits the Callaway 815? I'd prefer to get an OEM if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before I have to worry about installing it I need to find the adaptor. Where's the best place to get an adaptor that fits the Callaway 815? I'd prefer to get an OEM if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ebay item 141454912702

OR golfworks

Tip: Cally dual cogs unsnap off the barrel...just pull on them, now they are gone you can apply even heat rotating the tip like a rotisserie chicken. Alloy tips heat up real quick, chances are it has enough heat...get it off fast, then dip the shaft tip in some water to get any heat out. The shaft tip retains heat for quite some time...so the water will cool it.

So on my Taylormade (SLDR) adaptor will not melt?
It looks like it is plastic around aluminum or I guess it could be all aluminum but painted?
I have a head puller but I usually use a small propane torch to loosen up heads.
Better off with a heat gun?
I have some older heads that have no adaptors and sometimes try different shafts in them.
Any advice?

I've never messed with a Tim adapter but it should be painted metal, torch or heat gun should work(my gun wasn't hot enough to pull my titleist adaptor) just be careful not to over heat the shaft.

Put the puller on apply pressure and heat till it comes off.

After reading this thread I felt confident enough to install a couple of Callaway Big Bertha adapters onto a couple of Matrix shafts. Lightly sanded the tips, mixed the epoxy, put the epoxy inside the adapter and on the tip and slid it on. Lined it up, tapped it tip down on the floor, checked the alignment again and stood them, tip down, in the corner. I'll check them tomorrow night and hopefully the shafts will be in the adapter with no movement! Then I will grip the ends.

Leaving them at uncut length because I am still in the 47" driver experiment. These are both regular flex compared to the Project X THP shaft that is a stiff flex. Unfortunately, that one broke about 3" from the butt end so I've been using the shaft that came with the Big Bertha (about 45").

Hope this works.

Both adapters appear to be on solidly. I'm using a Matrix Black Tie (low launch) and a Matrix RUL 60 (mid launch). I am hoping the Black Tie works best for me because I feel I hit the ball too high and want to lower my ball flight a bit. I'll be putting on grips in the next couple of days and hopefully trying them out on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I didn't know where to post this question, so I posted here.
I have a VA Slay Driver Shaft 55 3 that I'm not happy with. I think it's too whippy for the transition in my swing.
I have Callaway adaptor on it.
Can I have it tipped by 1/2" and then add 1/2" to the grip end?

I have a VA Slay Driver Shaft 55 3 that I'm not happy with. I think it's too whippy for the transition in my swing.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that. There's no way that 1/2 of an inch of a graphite plug at the top of a shaft would have real playability issues.

Yep, you'll never notice the extension and it won't effect playability.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that. There's no way that 1/2 of an inch of a graphite plug at the top of a shaft would have real playability issues.

Yep, you'll never notice the extension and it won't effect playability.

Thank you Gentleman! I'm going to reach out to Will @ Peoples Golf and get that done.

no one local who could do that for you?

The hardest part is probably pulling the adapter.

You beat me to this... Without the proper tools, he could end up doing some real harm to that shaft when trying to remove the adapter.

Back