Found some Blades

SethO

IXOYE
Reaction score
I found a set of blades in the garage yesterday and I am going to play a few rounds with them just to see the difference. I will update this thread with the results of my little experiment. I figure this could be pretty fun to try and to share on here. My first 9 holes will be on Friday.

Will be watching for your updates Seth. Out of curiosity, do you know what kind or how old they are?

Will be watching for your updates Seth. Out of curiosity, do you know what kind or how old they are?

They are old Wilson blades and I can't even begin to guess how old they are.

If theyre old enough, bring something for pain. The first few swings trying to find the best spot for ball contact could be painful in the mid/long irons. Also, when I did this, I liked the 9/w from the older blades, what did you think about these? That is a big reason why i went with the VRs

I purchased a Macgregor MT Blade 6 iron last year to practice with. I used to bring it to the range and throw some impact tape on. I was trying to improve my ball striking with it. After a while I just stopped bringing it, now I don't even know where it is. At the time i thought it was helpling.

You have no idea what you are in for. :D

Looking forward to hearing how you like or dislike them.

Good luck SethO!

If theyre old enough, bring something for pain. The first few swings trying to find the best spot for ball contact could be painful in the mid/long irons. Also, when I did this, I liked the 9/w from the older blades, what did you think about these? That is a big reason why i went with the VRs

I have not hit these yet and won't be able to till Friday because I am prepairing for league tomorrow and I don't want to change anything up. I am going to be using some old e6 Bstones instead of my beloved Z StarZ balls. I am not planning on having a great round or playing one ball for all 18 (or for nine for that matter).

I am doing this just to see what it was like to play when there were not as many equipment options. I know I am going to suck with these, but I am going to try my best to score. I usually spend 20 hours a week on the course and this is a way to freshen things up a little.

How are the grips on them Seth? Did they clean up well?

That's a real cool find. I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience. I have been in South Carolina playing golf at my family's 'summer' home and found an old putter that belongs to my grandfather and was wondering the same thing you were... Exactly how much different would putting with this be!? I never bothered to take it out on the course, but here's a photo!

CalPutter2.jpg
and
CalCutter1.jpg

Have fun Seth, I have considered taking this Ben Hogan 6 iron blade I have sitting around my office at work out to the driving range sometime but just never remember to grab it when I'm going. I think it could end up being a good practice drill, just think, if you can dial it in on a blade imagine what you can do with an updated set of irons!

That is awesome Coluejack. The grips are old obviously, but they may be usable. I may get these things regripped just to have a knock around set of blades in case I ever get too confidant with my game.

I am guessing that these things came from the 70's or 80's. I would say that the mid to late 80's would be the most likely. I didn't know this till recently, but my family has a pretty rich golfing history. My brother was/is a very low handicap and my uncle told me that his best round was a 68. I told him that I just wanted to shoot par and he said, "why settle for par?"

Good luck with your experiment and looking forward to hearing how well you did.

wear a pair of thick gloves and swing easy

I took my dad's old Powerbilt Citation blades from the 70's or 80's to the range a couple times.. NEVER again. My hands were dead after trying to hit the 2 iron (unsuccessfully) followed by the 8 iron (not as bad as the 2, but nowhere near good). I like feedback, but jeez... at some point you have to do a cost - benefit analysis. The increased knowledge of where I was hitting the ball wouldn't help if I couldn't grab the clubs the next time I wanted to play!

Last edited:
I'm guessing you won't do as bad as you think you will. The short irons will still shoot pretty similar. You'll probably have alittle distance loss as it seems most modern sets are stronger lofted or more like they've bumped all the clubs up a number. Good swings and good contact will still produce decent shots.

I started first experimenting with taking up the idea of playing golf when I was younger, I used a set of blades, and a set of Wilson K-28 irons. I then stuck exclusively with the Wilson's, not because I hit them better but because they were alledgedly more forgiving. Then a couple years later, getting alittle more serious about things, I bought a cheap set of more modern designed clubs. They didn't seem to automatically improve my scores, but I did hit them better and longer.

When I played ALOT of golf back in the late 90's and early 2000's I thought I was a good enough golfer to play blades. I went with a set of MacGregor's that Jose Maria Olzabal used to win the Master's. I loved the way they felt and I could work the ball so mch better than with my Titleist DCI's. So I made the switch after a few months of playing with them I realized I was losing 3 to 4 strokes a round from mishits and that lead me to purchasing a set of Callaway x-14's that I played until last year when I got an entire new bag. I don't think I will ever go back to a blade due to the fact that today's irons give all the feel and workability I need without worrying about mishits near as much. If I hit balls everyday I would feel comfortable playing a blade but not knowing which swing is going to show up gives me piece of mind that my clubs today will never let me down. Short game shots are where my focus has been the past 2 months and my scores are really starting to show it.

It looks basically like this. I am not sure if this is the model specific model or not.

372_A.jpg

Well, it is not quite like that now that I look at the picture again, but it is pretty close.

Cleaned my Wilson Staff blades today. I got them used in 1972. Played them until 1990. Am thinking about hitting them for fun at the range.

SOunds like a great experiment Seth, Now that i think about it I have an old set from my father that I have in the garage. I know the persimion woods are in good shape. I keep them cleaned, but have not anything to the blades. Good luck on friday.

Back