JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
How often do you find yourself over swinging rather than taking your normal smooth swing?

How often do you find yourself over swinging rather than taking your normal smooth swing?

Way too much.

Never actually. I am usually in full control. Maybe If I need to get a certain distance, but a club up will be too much. I'll swing a little harder. But I'll never have a case where I try to swing smooth and I go too hard.

Unless I'm putting or chipping, my regular swing is to overswing. And there lies the rub.

Once ever second hole around. Like my power swing lol, but ive toned down lots i naturally have a aggressive swing as is

Unless I'm putting or chipping, my regular swing is to overswing. And there lies the rub.

As is his wont, WSE said it better than I could.

I have to trick myself into not overswinging. For instance, try to swing to perpendicular for a full swing, or from 8 to 4 if I really want to swing 9 to 3. That sort of thing.

You righties have to sort that out for yourselves.

You righties have to sort that out for yourselves.

Can't help if if I'm always right.

Claire - I just thought of you today! I was at a small used golf club shop that had one lone women's club - and it was a lefty!

Threadjacking over, just wanted to say that. Overswinging - no I don't - I tend to not like things that make me use more muscles than I need to. Efficient? Yes. Lazy? Yes.

a great deal with my three wood and recently with my hybrid...

Usually once every three holes.

Not often, usually I'll overswing out of frustration, always on the tee box. Ironically I've hit some of my best drives with a complete swing out of my shoes,lol. Maybe most of the time I'm not swinging hard enough?

a great deal with my three wood and recently with my hybrid...

same here. im usually swinging aggressively with anything from pitching wedge up, but i have found that i am over swinging with my woods constantly lately. i can do it with my driver and be fine cuz i have great control no matter how hard i swing for some reason with that particular club

I usually swing around 65-70% of my maximum. However, sometime, I crank it up to 80%. It all depends on the shot.

Everytime I have a good drive on a par 5. I stand over the ball and say " today I reach in 2." Overswing.

Everytime I have a good drive on a par 5. I stand over the ball and say " today I reach in 2." Overswing.

I do the same thing. I keep reminding myself that golf is a game of opposites, the more you try to help it along the worse you will end up doing.

I do it all too often with my woods and long irons.

Haha, that made me laugh! sadly cos i can empathise!

- However, normally it is limited to my driver. At the moment i aint overswinging much, cos a slice found its way into my game. I think i have now found the problem and cured it.....so let the overswing begin once more as i try to :bomb: it!!!!

of course accuracy will go to pot, but oh well!!:clown:

Overswinging

Is that the same thing as swinging too fast? I'll have at least one whiff per 18 where the shaft of the club hits the back of my neck then I don't do It again least I'm consistent in that way, it usually slows my swing down nice and easy, nothing gets me madder than that 1 whiff :mad-tongue:

I struggle with this continually. I think that this weekend I finally figured out what a significant part of the problem has been. When I really try to get after it, I almost always end up blading the ball (or topping it, or completely wiffing). I think for me it comes down to 8 years of being a competitive swimmer. In swimming, my power was always pulling in. When I thought about going faster, it was all about going from an extended reach to as close to my body as possible, as fast as possible.

What that's done is I have a tendency to pull the clubhead in towards me in order to feel that same type of power, and I end up pulling the club away from the ball. Hence the blading, topping, and wiffing.

My swing thoughts now are all about relaxing, and trying to visualize throwing a medicine ball underhanded with both hands - long arms, long swing.

I was thinking about this this morning. The last time I played with my son I found myself overswinging a ton, the result was a high cut that was unintentional and way off target. For me it was because I was getting caught up in the distance game with a 24 year old lol, bad news for my game, he was hitting a 7 iron while I was hitting a 5 and I found myself under clubbing and trying to muscle the ball to the hole and I lost the match. Overswinging is a game killer, I was unusually sore afterwards, more tired after the round, and really had little focus in the round.

EpicThreadRevival_motivator5470661.jpg

I too am guilty of overswinging each round, mostly when I lose my tempo and/or concentration.

Im not much on over swinging ... swinging to fast at times, im a repeat offender..

Often unfortunately. Most often early in a round when I haven't loosened up completely. I tend to over swing then, compensating with arms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Since most of my over swings happen with woods I think about swinging a 7 iron.
It was something my coach told me and boom, solid contact and the over swing disappeared. Now I just remind myself "swing the 7 iron" on the tee.

Back