My GHIN score??? What's up?

Colt

Two is one and one is none
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN: ????
So the last five scores that I have posted on GHIN have been (give or take a point, I didn't look right before posting) a 90, 93, 97, 88, 86.

So my question is, does the fact that I play all courses with a slope rating above 130 and always play from the blues have to do with the fact that my GHIN is 12.7 even though I've never shot an 85 . My scores should average me out around 91 or 92 I'd think. Thats around a 18 or 19 index. So what gives? Anybody know?

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

First off, a handicap is not your average score. Your handicap is your shooting potential.
Slope impacts your index.
Each course has a slope for each set of tees.

Hmmm I don't know, I break 85 fairly often and I'm still sitting at a 12-13, but if your courses have much tougher ratings then your cap would be lower.

JB, I'm going off the slope for the blues. So I guess it is the high slopes that put me a little lower then. Funny my highest score came from the lowest rated course. Bad day I suppose.

You betcha. Slope and course rating are crucial in generating your index. If you shoot 90 on a course rated 74 your differential is 16. If I shoot 90 on a course rated 68 my differential is 22. We shot the same score but I will not play you straight up for $100.

You can goto the USGA site and find the calculation.

Besdies all of the slope and such are you taking Equitable Stroke Index into account or is that what you were already entering as your scores? My GHIN is just under 13 but the majority of my scores have been in the low 90s this year thanks to a blowup hole or two or three each round that exceeds my ESI so once you take those few strokes off and factor in slope...

Penglynns, don't know what ESI is to tell you the truth. I just count every stroke and every penalty and throw it in the number cruncher.

Alright, just read up on equitable stroke control. Will remember to take that into consideration in the future. However, I don't think I've ever carded a double par on anything since starting my handicap, much less had a Tin Cup moment. So I don't think that would affect me too much.

Alright, just read up on equitable stroke control. Will remember to take that into consideration in the future. However, I don't think I've ever carded a double par on anything since starting my handicap, much less had a Tin Cup moment. So I don't think that would affect me too much.

well thats good, I know myself every now and then I have that self destruction hole, which is why Im glad this is put in place

Oh I'm more than sure that I'll need to implement that one of these days. Just hasn't happened yet.

I'm not quite sure what's going on there Colt....I think you had better fly me out to your location so I can have a look ! :D

The ghin takes care of that doesn't it. I always thought you card your count and the handicapper takes care of esc. Unless I pick it up of course.

As far as I know(for the last 20 years)....You have to post your own adjusted score for ghin.

I'm not quite sure what's going on there Colt....I think you had better fly me out to your location so I can have a look ! :D

Hah! I bet if JB and GG set up a Demo Day "Honolulu Edition" plenty of THPers would be out here to help me out!

As far as I know(for the last 20 years)....You have to post your own adjusted score for ghin.

You got it. You card your score, make adjustments, and post your total score for the entire 18. Only thing it adjusts for you is for course rating and slope from given set of tees.

First off, a handicap is not your average score. Your handicap is your shooting potential.
Slope impacts your index.
Each course has a slope for each set of tees.

+2. Well said. The USGA has good information on understanding ones index.

While we are on the subject, how many scores do I need to have in order to get my GHIN score? I have 10 in there as of Friday, but it hasn't updated with a handicap.

While we are on the subject, how many scores do I need to have in order to get my GHIN score? I have 10 in there as of Friday, but it hasn't updated with a handicap.

You have to have 5 scores but there is an update schedule of when they recalculate the handicaps. The next update for Oregon comes out tomorrow. They will email you an updated card with your index. Here is the OGA revision schedule: http://www.oga.org/index.php/handicapping/preferreddetail/C69/2087 . I have this hanging by my desk. :)

As far as if you have to figure out your ESC score or not, it depends on how you post. If you just do a score then yes, you have to figure in your ESC. If you do hole-by-hole posting then it will figure it out for you, just put in whatever you shoot and it will adjust down. This is assuming you already have an established handicap. You can't take a ESC score until you have a 'cap because your 'cap will determine your ESC.

Equitable Stroke Control

Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) is the downward adjustment of individual hole scores for the handicap purposes in order to make handicaps more representative of a player's potential ability. ESC sets a maximum number that a player can post on any hole depending on the player's Course Handicap. ESC is used only when a player's actual or most likely score exceeds his maximum number based on the table below but is applied to all scores for handicap purposes, including tournament scores. There is no limit to the number of holes on which a player may adjust his score.

A Handicap Index determined from scores to which ESC has not been applied may not be termed an NCGA/USGA Handicap Index.

EQUITABLE STROKE CONTROL (ESC)

Course Handicap Maximum Number On Any Hole

9 or less: Double bogey

10 through 19: 7

20 through 29: 8

30 through 39: 9

40 or more: 10

Sorry about spacing (cut and paste).

Last edited:
Hard to believe that after tomorrow we are 28% of the way through the handicap season. I need to get to work!

We do too here in HI. Where you at Jean?

I don't really understand that ESC to be honest. How many people here use it?

Back