Hole In One Close Calls.....

Golf 'N Gator

Formally HoosierGolfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Lets hear some stories about the close, but not in the cup shots. I'm really looking for the ones that were close, but ended up not so good and left a mark, so to speak.

Mine is; I hit a PW on a par 3, 115 yards. The green slopes from right to left with a least a couple of feet of fall.

My tee shot hit the pin, dropped straight down, took out a chunk off the lip, and rolled straight left down the slope a good 15/18 feet. Long story short, I three putted from there and made bogey. I was pi$$ed at that hole for weeks.

Some days your the bug, other days your the windshield. :banghead:

This past weekend, I hit a 7I on a par 3, 168 yard hole. Ball flight goes straight at the cup but hits the middle of the flag and bounces left 30 feet into a bunker. Out and 2 putt for bogey.

Probably wouldn't have been an ace but was still pretty close.

Never hit a hole in one. But i've seen 2 great ones and an Almost.
Last year I took a buddy to a par 3 course (he's never played before) The 5th hole is very short over a dry river bed with a few trees behind the green. He thins a pw (a real low screamer) over the green, off the tree, it bounces back onto the green, and rolls into the hole. I'm standing there with my mouth open, and he turns to me and says "I though you said this game was hard" :banghead:

When I was a junior in high school, I had an oppenent hit his ball directly into the flag, it got wrapped up in the flag and dropped into the hole. I do remember winning that match though. :D

As for the almost, it was on a very famous hole. When I graduated high school, my dad took me to play Pebble, Spy Glass, and Poppy Hills. On pebble, we were standing on the 8th tee. This is the hole right after the short par 3 7th that goes directly out into the water. Me and my dad watched a dude airmail the green, bounce off a boulder sitting in the Pacific Ocean, and come to a rest roughly 3-10 inches away from the hole. That would have been a fantastic story to take home.

200 yard par 3 a while back, I wasn't feeling sharp with my hybrids, so I took my 3 wood and made a 3/4 swing and hit it pure and straight with a little draw. It landed a little bit in front of the green, and as I watched it hit a hill, it bounced left straight at the hole then started rolling at the green. It had the right speed and everything, but as it got closer to the hole, it trailed off inches to the left. Perfect distance, but no more than 5 inches left of the cup. That shot left a bad taste in my mouth for a long time.

Front 9 at Windermere, I jarred it from 168 only to have it bounce out about 20 feet away. Shattered the cup too.

200 yard par 3 a while back, I wasn't feeling sharp with my hybrids, so I took my 3 wood and made a 3/4 swing and hit it pure and straight with a little draw. It landed a little bit in front of the green, and as I watched it hit a hill, it bounced left straight at the hole then started rolling at the green. It had the right speed and everything, but as it got closer to the hole, it trailed off inches to the left. Perfect distance, but no more than 5 inches left of the cup. That shot left a bad taste in my mouth for a long time.

great shot. Don't feel bad. Pitchers who give up homeruns don't feel bad as long as they hit their spot. You played the shot you called and it was a great result!

When I was 10 we were playing at kingsmill resort in VA and the 17th hole is right on the water. I hit my junior driver, it hit short roll and lipped the cup for a birdie. It's crazy to think that that is the closest i've ever gotten since playing golf.

Front 9 at Windermere, I jarred it from 168 only to have it bounce out about 20 feet away. Shattered the cup too.

Ouch!!!

In the thread about how many balls you lose a round I posted a pic of my nemesis hole. a 140+ par 3 with a severe downhill elevation change. 2 years ago I smacked a solid PW and the ball launched waaaay up in the air and ended up plugging just over an inch from the hole the top of the ball was about an inch deep. I hate that hole for so many reasons!!

it wasnt mine but i had just payed the 3rd hole a par 3 122 yards all down hill when i was walking back to the 4th tee i watched the next 3 lads go for the green i had just made a birdie. the 2nd lads tee shot bounced 20 yards short rolled fast into the pin and bounced 3 foot away i was gutted for him. not as gutted as he was when he 3 putted:banghead:

18th at North Manchester in a Junior Competition. 5 iron into a strong wind, pitched about 10 yards short of the pin and rolled towards the pin only to lip out and finish about 2 inches from the hole. Everyone watching at the green didn't know how it didn't drop in. Tap in birdie to win the competition so I wasn't that miffed. That's the closest I have come so far

Years ago I was playing the very hole that Ole Gray just recently had his HIO on. The green was being aerated, I hit a PW over the water and the ball was on perfect line, it rolled true and hit a plug 3 inches from the hole and stopped short. The man who was aerating the green had stopped for me to take my shot. When I got there he was still waiting and before I took the birdie putt he commented, "you didn't hit it, did you." I wasn't real happy at that time, although it is pretty funny now. That still remains the closest I have come even though I have probably had 4 other balls finish within a foot, the 3" shot was the closest.

The closest I have ever seen, a couple of months ago a buddy hit what looked like a perfect shot as soon as it left the club face on a 130 yd hole. The ball hit the green and started trickling back down the slope toward the hole. It looked close but since it is behind the hole we weren't sure. When we get to the green, a third of the ball is hanging over the inside of the hole, there is no green between the ball and the hole and what makes is more perplexing was that the ball was on the uphill side of the hole. I know I will never see one closer and doubt that I will ever see one as close again.

I had a buddy hit a hole in one on a 160 yard par 3 last year. After a minute or so of hooting and hollering I stood over my ball and hit a perfect shot right at the hole. I flew the pin by about 7 or 8 yards and the ball spun back towards the pin only to stop 10 inches short. I pulled my iphone out to film our cart ride up to the hole. Needless to say my buddy was very excited about his hole in one. Would have been a really cool story with 2 holes in one!

http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv341/LX450TY/?action=view&current=IMG_0030.mp4

Just last weekend I hit a 9 iron to an uphill 130 yard par 3. Thought I hit a good shot, not great and since the green was above us, I couldn't see where the ball ended up. Got up to the green and I was about 8" below the hole. Judging by where my ball mark was in relation to the ball and the pin, it had to have rolled by the cup or lipped out. Tap in birdies are great. I had a discussion about it with the rest of my foursome and we were joking at how odd it would have been if I would have made it and not been able to see it go in or even give an accurate desciption of the shot and the action on the green. I would have been happy to have a hole in one on my resume, but a bit dissapointed to not see the ball go in.

Several years back, I was playing Cedar Crest in Dallas, and one hole was a par 3 up a hill (about a 100 foot rise). I had to hit a 3 wood to get there. When I got up to the hole, the ball was a few inches directly in back of the hole. I don't know how it missed.

A few years back, I played a short par 3. The shot looked good all the way. The ball rolled up and brushed the pin and ended up a few inches away. The best I can figure, the pin must have been leaning to that side of the cup. The ball wasn't rolling very fast. That would have been my second.

175 yards - par 5

One bounce, hit the flag and bounce back about 15 feet in from the pin... then I missed the put and ended up with par...

I've never had a bad result off a barely missed hole in one. Never hit the pin on the tee shot ever. Still the closest I've come is two feet and that was in 1978. AND missed the putt! Since then I've gotten within a yeard quite a few times. No sad stories though.

About 12 years ago I was playing in a charity golf outing. The 9th hole was a par 3 148yds. It was also the hole in one wins a car hole. I hit a 9 iron with a slight draw right at the stick. It hit 8 inches below the hole and stopped dead. When we drove up to the hole the lady told me she thought it was going in. Little did we know the hole was uphill and why the ball didn't move much. I almost won a freakin cadillac. Never forget that day.

At least I won closest too. :)

you spelled my name wrong! its One-T...get it?

Thats awesome man, I hate that it happened though, I would have rather you had to post in the hole in one thread.

I had a buddy hit a hole in one on a 160 yard par 3 last year. After a minute or so of hooting and hollering I stood over my ball and hit a perfect shot right at the hole. I flew the pin by about 7 or 8 yards and the ball spun back towards the pin only to stop 10 inches short. I pulled my iphone out to film our cart ride up to the hole. Needless to say my buddy was very excited about his hole in one. Would have been a really cool story with 2 holes in one!

http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv341/LX450TY/?action=view&current=IMG_0030.mp4

Thanks for sharing, him rolling down the hill was hilarious

I guess my closest was similar to a lot of yours. I was playing ironhorse country club in Kansas City last summer and I had one hit off the flag and roll into the bunker... A sand wedge and 2 puts later I have a bogey.

This is the perfect thread to illustrate something my dad told me a long time ago.. Golf can be a very frustrating sport.

175 yards - par 5

One bounce, hit the flag and bounce back about 15 feet in from the pin... then I missed the put and ended up with par...

Par 5??

115 yard par 3 in a gail from right to left. PW super high into the wind that just drifted straight down the flag and bounced out earlier this spring. The ball set about 3" from the pin. I had several this year roll right by the pin, but still none that dropped.

My close call was on a 135 yard par 3. Hit my shot to the green and watched the ball track right to the pin, bump it and then stop.
When I got to the green, the previous group through had barely put the flag back in the cup and it was leaning back towards the tee box with no room for a ball to fall in the cup. My ball had centered the pin and bounced back about 1" from the hole. I wanted to wrap a club around the neck of the careless idiot that halfway put that pin back in the cup.

Back