Your Practice Swing

Your Practice Swing

• Total voters
A set number, but it varies depending on the type of shot (full swing, pitch, chip, putt etc).

On the tee box I always take 3 practice swings. One too hard, one too soft and the last one right in between. Saw that tip on the Golf Channel from someone and I really like it. I also concentrate on "swinging out to first base" on all my practice swings.
From the fairway and for chips I usually just take 2 practice swings, especially if I have a funky lie or am in the rough.

I haven’t come up with a good pre shot routine yet. Seems that there are too many variables to consider to have anything set in stone. I do, however, like to take a swing while standing behind the ball trying to visualize the shot.

I found out yesterday as long as I aim, I just need a practice shot'ish type swing. I don't know how to describe it. When I set up on the teebox, I'm usually worse than if I'm hitting off the deck. For feel shots Ill take a practice swing while looking at my target to help with distance.

I almost never take a practice shot with the driver. I feel that it jinxes me (yes, hahahaha).

Irons and hybrids, I will take a couple.

Chips/pitches - whatever it takes for me to feel the distance I'm going for. Usually one or two.

Putts - one or two while looking at the hole to gauge distance.

I rarely ever take any, I only take a serious practise swing if it is an unfamiliar lie. If I'm on the fairway maybe i'll just losely swing the club in the air to get a quick feel and then I'm ready to go.

Putting on the other hand I take around 2 on tough putts.

Sometimes when I'm hitting well and "feeling it" I don't ever need a practice swing, then other times I'll need one for every shot. Usually when I'm hitting it well and in a good flow with my game I won't take any practice swings at all.

I rarely take practice swings. I think it's because I have played so many rounds with JB. ; ) I may take a practice swing is I am not feeling confident about the shot or my lie is funny and I want to make sure I can properly ground my club. Otherwise I just get up and go. It works better for me that way so I don't have to think. The more I think the worst things become. Both in golf and life in general haha.

I do take about 2 practice putts though. I try to gauge my speed that way.

I rarely take practice swings. I think it's because I have played so many rounds with JB. ; ) I may take a practice swing is I am not feeling confident about the shot or my lie is funny and I want to make sure I can properly ground my club. Otherwise I just get up and go. It works better for me that way so I don't have to think. The more I think the worst things become. Both in golf and life in general haha.

I do take about 2 practice putts though. I try to gauge my speed that way.
Boy I hear you there! I'm right along with you on that one!! :D

One practice swing for a putt to test the weight
One practice swing for a chip to make sure I'm hitting down enough
No practice swings for anything else

Generally once I pick the shot I want to hit and the club to hit it, I waggle the club a bit while walking up to the ball to get the weight of it, everything else is just set up rountine and screwing with the routine means bad things happen.

I know I've already responded to this, but I use my practice swings (tee, fairway, rough) to get the swing thoughts out of the way as well. When I am making a shot I want to feel the swing and not think about it. So if I can put a decent practice swing together, I try to carry that feel to the ball. If the practice swings are all garbage, I just figure the good swing is about to happen!

I take a few swings until I feel the shot I want to play. I want to get a few keys in the swing adjusted in the practice swing so I can get over the ball and swing away without too many thoughts.

I never take a practice swing. The only time it may ever happen is a wedge shot in a very uncertain lie. I found I always wasted my best swing on the practice swing. I pick a spot on the ground I'm aiming over, address the ball, aim, waggle once to loosen the muscles, and swing.

I never take a practice swing unless I'm in deep rough and want to see how much it will grab the hosel or club face. Don't forget everyone, you're already probably swinging 80, 90, 100 times just to have a score. (including putts) do you really want to double that number just from 'practice swinging?'

I always do two practice swings.

I never take a practice swing unless I'm in deep rough and want to see how much it will grab the hosel or club face. Don't forget everyone, you're already probably swinging 80, 90, 100 times just to have a score. (including putts) do you really want to double that number just from 'practice swinging?'

Are you sure you don't want to "accidentally" clear some of that rough away? :devil: I know a 60* work swell as a weed whacker...

today... the first 9 i played i didnt take too many practice swings cuz it was too cold
but after topping/slicing/hooking most of my shots i started taking practice swings on the other 9's and actually started hitting the ball much better

Back