Driver Shaft Shortening

Some talk about driver shaft length recently and it brought a question to my mind.

Is cutting a shaft something you'd consider doing at home?

Some talk about driver shaft length recently and it brought a question to my mind.

Steel is really easy with a pipe cutter. Graphite is a bit trickier, I usually wrap the area I'm going to cut with tape to prevent splitting, then measure twice and cut once.

What do you use to cut?

Edit to clarify: I'm talking about graphite.

That is what I do and pop on a new mid size grip and it's ready to go. I did buy a weight kit for my driver to get the swing weight right for me. I play my driver at 44 inches.

What do you use to cut?

I taped and used a regular old hacksaw on my Titleist. Zero issues...

What do you use to cut?

I used a hacksaw. I'd definitely recommend a circular saw if possible though, I just cut a lot of graphite hockey sticks with a hacksaw so it made golf shafts look easy.

Thanks guys.

No..not me personally. I always just go to Dicks. They only charge a few dollars (less than $5) & they can do it in about 10 mins.

No..not me personally. I always just go to Dicks. They only charge a few dollars (less than $5) & they can do it in about 10 mins.

That's good info as well. Thanks, I didn't realize that it was that cheap.

A dremel also works well. I taped the shaft too just to be extra careful. Just make sure you wear goggles.

When I got my driver it came with a 46 inch shaft and I was all over the course. When I choked up it didn't feel like I was having the same cocking of the wrist's. I replaced the shaft and at 44.75 inches I am longer and straighter and in more control of the club.

What do you use to cut?

A friend of mine cut his down with a dremmel and he said it worked great.

Thinking of shortening my driver shaft.

Thinking of shortening my driver shaft.

My driver came stock at 45.75" and I've had pretty good success with it. I know even tour average is 44.5, but I'm only thinking of taking off about 1/4". My question is the usual, how much should this affect the club and the results? SS with driver averages 120-123 mph. Of course I could just leave it alone and get better with it, but who wants to do that?

My driver came stock at 45.75" and I've had pretty good success with it. I know even tour average is 44.5, but I'm only thinking of taking off about 1/4". My question is the usual, how much should this affect the club and the results? SS with driver averages 120-123 mph. Of course I could just leave it alone and get better with it, but who wants to do that?

I've shorten many drivers over the years, as much as an inch and a half in some cases, and while I did gain a little accuracy, it was negligible, so I'm back at the Ping standard of 45.75 for my K-15. Shortening will change the swing weight, but it was never enough for me to really notice or cause a problem.

Never be afraid to experiment. Anything done, can be reversed with little cost. It comes down to a good sound fitting really. There is an optimal length for everyone.

I've shorten many drivers over the years, as much as an inch and a half in some cases, and while I did gain a little accuracy, it was negligible, so I'm back at the Ping standard of 45.75 for my K-15. Shortening will change the swing weight, but it was never enough for me to really notice or cause a problem.

Never be afraid to experiment. Anything done, can be reversed with little cost. It comes down to a good sound fitting really. There is an optimal length for everyone.

Did you notice any change in distance?

Hoosier, how do you shorten a graphite shaft. I have one that is playing almost 47 that I want to take down to about 44-45, and a 3 wood I want to take down to about 42-43.

Did you notice any change in distance?

Yes......one point I missed. There was some loss in distance. Again, maybe not a lot, but it was enough for me to go back to standard length as the gain in accuracy was little, which was what I was after.

Hoosier, how do you shorten a graphite shaft. I have one that is playing almost 47 that I want to take down to about 44-45, and a 3 wood I want to take down to about 42-43.

Trim from the but end.

What kind of saw, I mean.

I've got a shaft cutoff saw. You can use a tube type cutter as well, as long as the wheel is super sharp.

Wrap masking tape around it before cutting if you can. Lowers the risk of splitting/cracking the shaft.

When you shorten your driver you will able to maintain your spine angle better and have more center of the club face hits. You will not lose a lot of distance because you'll be consistently hitting the ball more solid, so it should balance out, your smash rate will be higher. I would rather hit the ball 280 in the fairway then 330 in the woods! Hope this helps in making a decision.

Accuracy gain is what I'd be after, as I'm making centered contact most of the time, if anything just a bit towards the heel. I can't imagine 1/4" messing with swing weight enough to notice, which is a shame because I wouldn't mind maybe going a bit higher. Hmm, sounds like this isn't the option for what I'm after.

How do you reverse shortening a shaft? This has always vexed me. Once it's cut, I don't see how you can ever regain the shafts' integrity. Thanks!

Last edited:
In other words, drive 40 minutes to someone who knows what they are doing. Thanks!
I've got a shaft cutoff saw. You can use a tube type cutter as well, as long as the wheel is super sharp.

Wrap masking tape around it before cutting if you can. Lowers the risk of splitting/cracking the shaft.

First of all, my goodness you swing a fast stick. Second, we are talking aboot a quarter inch here, why bother shortening it? I can see taking off a half inch to an inch, but when you are talking about a quarter inch why not just grip down that tiny bit? Seems a wast of time to me to go through removing the grip, cutting the shaft, and then regripping all for a lousy quarter inch.

Accuracy gain is what I'd be after, as I'm making centered contact most of the time, if anything just a bit towards the heel. I can't imagine 1/4' messing with swing weight enough to notice, which is a shame because I wouldn't mind maybe going a bit higher. Hmm, sounds like this isn't the option for what I'm after.

How do you reverse shortening a shaft? This has always vexed me. Once it's cut, I don't see how you can ever regain the shafts' integrity. Thanks!

You are never really compromising the integrity trimming from the butt, as long as you don't split/crack the shaft, which could travel. I use plastic extensions when lengthing graphite shafts. They come with a peice a couple of inches long that goes into the shaft, but that can be trimmed down to next to nothing if you are just adding a inch or so. I epoxy this in and it will be under tape and the grip.

In other words, drive 40 minutes to someone who knows what they are doing. Thanks!

A cut off wheel on a dremel tool will work in a pinch if you have one.

Back