Please help solve this problem

Please help solve this problem

Votes: 42 52.5%

Votes: 38 47.5%

• Total voters
Thus, if it is between multiplying and dividing, it will simply read left to right, rather than doing the multiplication first.

For the order of operations, Multiplication and Division are given identical weight (as are Addition and Subtraction fwiw). Therefore, in that step, you do just go left to right performing any division and multiplication without giving any priority to either. Excel is right on this one.

Also, my TI-83 says the answer to 48/2(9+3) is 288...case solved :act-up:

But multiplication and division are treated as equals in the order of operations. But should be done left to right.

M
For the order of operations, Multiplication and Division are given identical weight (as are Addition and Subtraction fwiw). Therefore, in that step, you do just go left to right performing any division and multiplication without giving any priority to either. Excel is right on this one.

Also, my TI-83 says the answer to 48/2(9+3) is 288...case solved :act-up:

Yeah, I was being facetious in my first post... Trying to be funny about how Microsoft is "supposedly" changing everything we learned in school. Realized it wasn't funny, and edited it. Haha.

M

Yeah, I was being facetious in my first post... Trying to be funny about how Microsoft is "supposedly" changing everything we learned in school. Realized it wasn't funny, and edited it. Haha.

Wouldn't be the first time Microsoft tried their own math

7 > VISTA > 98 > ME > 95

Its been a long time, but wouldnt the answer be 2?
2x12 equals 24
48 divided by 24 = 2

This is right.

That is a pretty epic skim. :act-up:
LOL, I agree, Smalls is the king of the Chunkyresponce skim.

So my question is, are you just trolling us again, Crunch? There is a reason this problem is on know your meme.

That is a pretty epic skim. :act-up:
Not really. You were the first reply and I replied right after O read it. Was I supposed to agree with the last person who had the same answer as me?

Not really. You were the first reply and I replied right after O read it. Was I supposed to agree with the last person who had the same answer as me?

YOu still have not read the rest of the thread, clearly.

YOu still have not read the rest of the thread, clearly.

I guess it must be above my head and below my chin, because all I see is that there more people with the right answer than the wrong answer.

And when have I ever not responded before I read the rest of the thread!

Guys:

This problem is intentionally designed to have 2 answers depending on your methodology. Why? Because it inspires debate on forums. I am not saying Crunch is screwing with us, but I am not ruling that out as a possibility either.

Working as intended

288. Once the brackets are solved you go left to right.

Guys:

This problem is intentionally designed to have 2 answers depending on your methodology. Why? Because it inspires debate on forums. I am not saying Crunch is screwing with us, but I am not ruling that out as a possibility either.

I believe it is also possible that his nephew was screwing with Crunch :D

I again say it's 2... I put into my calculator... Excel is wrong because you have to imput the * symbol

its 74....geez you guys need to go back to school

I again say it's 2... I put into my calculator... Excel is wrong because you have to imput the * symbol

I just emailed a math professor here locally and he said the answer is 2. Not sure if he is right or wrong, but he was pretty sure of it.

I just emailed a math professor here locally and he said the answer is 2. Not sure if he is right or wrong, but he was pretty sure of it.

Did he say why though? I'm curious of that if it is two.

I'm going with 288.

you dont know any math professors. locally

Back