barryboymunro

Reaction score
Handicap
So as some of you might know i got my full fitting at the Turnberry TaylorMade fitting centre which was fantastic. I was given all my specs and told why each was the way they were and off i went. I was also given prices for everything but i decided to go away and source somewhere cheaper as i had also my own clubs to sell. I decided to give my business to a local small store who are an authorised TM dealer plus they allowed a trade-in.

Anyways I ordered my clubs and have just received them but the fitter felt that they should be 4 degree upright but the gentleman at the store who ordered them from TM checked them over before i was given them and said to me 4 degree upright that was a first for someone of my height and if they needed altered I could go back down 2 degrees. I know that it is not all about height but holding them at address they seem too much toe high and as it is snowing here i can not get out to hit them.

My question is, if they are not right for me and 4 degree is too much and i only needed say 1 degree is there any comeback to TM for fitting me wrong? We put our trust in these professionals but if they are wrong what can the consumer do?

Any input would be great, thanks!

Just sitting there doesn't mean much, when you swing the weight of the club head is going to push the toe down.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I would always trust a fitter over a store clerk taking orders and fitting you with static measurements.

I can't speak for TaylorMade but Ping will correct any fitting issue if you were fit by a certified Ping fitter. I have to think TM would take care of it.

So as some of you might know i got my full fitting at the Turnberry TaylorMade fitting centre which was fantastic. I was given all my specs and told why each was the way they were and off i went. I was also given prices for everything but i decided to go away and source somewhere cheaper as i had also my own clubs to sell. I decided to give my business to a local small store who are an authorised TM dealer plus they allowed a trade-in.

Anyways I ordered my clubs and have just received them but the fitter felt that they should be 4 degree upright but the gentleman at the store who ordered them from TM checked them over before i was given them and said to me 4 degree upright that was a first for someone of my height and if they needed altered I could go back down 2 degrees. I know that it is not all about height but holding them at address they seem too much toe high and as it is snowing here i can not get out to hit them.

My question is, if they are not right for me and 4 degree is too much and i only needed say 1 degree is there any comeback to TM for fitting me wrong? We put our trust in these professionals but if they are wrong what can the consumer do?

Taylormade will adjust them (post-sale) since you were fitted at their centre.

Anyway, if the toe is high that would mean they are upright and need to have a flatter adjustment. If the toe was down and the heel was up you would need a more upright adjustment. 4 degrees upright is quite a bit, I think you need to hit these (weather permitting) and check your divots. Perhaps the local shop has a lie board you could take a few swings on as well. Also, the toe should be slightly elevated at address...

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback guys, yeah i'll hit them and see how they go but i do trust the fitter even though 4 degree is quite a fair bit. As you say hit them and see how they go first.

I would always trust a fitter over a store clerk taking orders and fitting you with static measurements.

I would too. Fitters tend to know what they're doing.

i agree with Blu....

Hopefully they work just fine the way you got them!

Taylormade should make this right for you. A guy at my club got fit, then changed his swing, and Taylormade still took care of him and had the irons adjusted to his new specs at no charge.

Taylormade should make this right for you. A guy at my club got fit, then changed his swing, and Taylormade still took care of him and had the irons adjusted to his new specs at no charge.

But TaylorMade did make it right. They gave him a full dynamic fitting and explained every recommendation.

A guy in a golf store saw him standing there and said TaylorMade was wrong.

I would assume that TM would gladly take care of that. Customer satisfaction is the name of the game. I've had multiple companies do the same for me. (Titleist, Bstone...)

Height has almost nothing to do with it. I'm 6'3" and have been fitted twice by some top fitters. Both times standard shaft and 3* upright. Dicks told me I was +1 and 2* up based off my height/wrist alone. Go with the fitter, they know what they're doing.
How did they come up with 4* by the way? Tape and board or a notched ball and indicator tape on the face?

Height has almost nothing to do with it. I'm 6'3" and have been fitted twice by some top fitters. Both times standard shaft and 3* upright. Dicks told me I was +1 and 2* up based off my height/wrist alone. Go with the fitter, they know what they're doing.

This! Trust the fitter.

I'd say trust the fitter, but don't hesitate to use a critical eye when you get them on the course. Jrod got absolutely hacked by three fitters in the last three years. Two certified PING fitters tried to put him in shafts 1-1/2 long and it screwed his iron game up for about half of last year.

I'd say trust the fitter, but don't hesitate to use a critical eye when you get them on the course. Jrod got absolutely hacked by three fitters in the last three years. Two certified PING fitters tried to put him in shafts 1-1/2 long and it screwed his iron game up for about half of last year.
That's because people who fit PINGs generally go by the charts on their carts (Yes, poet and I didn't know it). I don't by the whole you're 6' with a 37" wrist to floor so you need X. People have different swings, some steep like myself and some not so steep. So much more goes into a fitting.

Taylormade will adjust them (post-sale) since you were fitted at their centre.

Anyway, if the toe is high that would mean they are flat and you would need an upright adjustment. If the toe was down and the heel was up you would need a flatter adjustment. 4 degrees upright is quite a bit, I think you need to hit these (weather permitting) and check your divots. Perhaps the local shop has a lie board you could take a few swings on as well. Also, the toe should be slightly elevated at address...

Did you accidentally get this backwards? If the toe is high, wouldn't you flatten it to get it more level? Kobey's getting confused again.

How did they come up with 4* by the way? Tape and board or a notched ball and indicator tape on the face?

They put me on the MAT-T system which suggested 4 degree up then he put me on the board along with watching me play shots and he felt that i was deffs 4 up. The system also thought i was 2 down for my wedges but he said no they should also be 4 up. I'm just going to see how they go!

Did you accidentally get this backwards? If the toe is high, wouldn't you flatten it to get it more level? Kobey's getting confused again.

That's the way I read it as well. Probably just a typo.

Kobey, yeah I was typing that during a break rather quickly. I'll edit the post.

That's the way I read it as well. Probably just a typo.

Thanks for the catch...

Been there, done that!

I agree with all above, trust the professional fitter, not a guy who just said 4 up is a lot, and hasn't seen you swing or play them.

Dan

Well I hit the clubs today at the range, although it was rushed they felt fantastic I was really pleased but I was struggling with the wedges especially the 54* as it was quite a big hook but I do need to get use to them but so far so good.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Trust the fitter! I was fit 2* flat and into the wrong shafts at a my local golf galaxy, talked to pro and a fitter at a place in another state and had to pay half the cost to have it corrected.

if you fight a slice going more upright can help. Fitting is as about ball flight also...

Back