Official 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone think this trade was pulled off without Kobe's consent? They are going to be absolutely brutal to try and beat. Although, while Dwight could be an upgrade from Bynum... will he fit in that sense? I still think Nash is a bigger aquisition than Howard. This year, maybe not long term (provided the Lakers resign Howard).

I also agree with Nash being the bigger acquisition.

ESPN just compared Howard to Wilt, Kareem, and Shaq in terms of them being legendary big men to join the Lakers. I think Dwight has a while to go before he's in that conversation.

Look at when Shaq left Orlando and it will make more sense. Zero titles then too.

Yeah I'm not sure how much Kobe will like some big dude there taking his shots away.

Howard does not command the ball on the block, that is why it makes more sense. Similar to the idea of it working in Brooklyn.

Does anyone think this trade was pulled off without Kobe's consent? They are going to be absolutely brutal to try and beat. Although, while Dwight could be an upgrade from Bynum... will he fit in that sense? I still think Nash is a bigger aquisition than Howard. This year, maybe not long term (provided the Lakers resign Howard).

I agree completely. Nash is the bigger addition. Taking 2 and filling it with Howard CAN work if his defense and athletic abilities come back from injury strong. A big "Can" though.

I dont doubt the injury but it's kinda convenient he rehabbed in LA. He'll be fine and will win a title.

Nash is going to be the piece that holds this team together. He'll dish to Kobe n Howard. Tough to beat in the west. Heat still top of the heap

OKC will be fine, the Lakers still don't match up well with Durant and Westbrook, and Perk can guard Howard by himself just like he did when he was in Boston.

This also reminds me a little bit of when the Lakers went out and got Gary Payton and Karl Malone for that one year in 03 or 04, that ended up being a spectacular failure, so we'll see what happens.

Sent from Tapatalk

Even if you look at Payton/Malone's numbers the season before coming to LA, they put up decent numbers. You can't blame them for getting one last ditch effort in to get a ring. I think that LA is the team to beat in the West now. Regardless, it'll probably still be LA, OKC, SAS as the top 3 in the west in any order. All 3 teams will be a tough matchup in the playoffs.

Doesn't matter though, because MIA is still the best team in the NBA, hands down. MIA has made significant improvements this offseason while OKC has sat twiddling their thumbs (I don't see PJ3 putting in significant minutes/numbers for OKC).

Maybe I'm just biased, but I think from ORL's standpoint, Houston could have given them the much better return in young players, cap relief and 2 first round picks (1 being a good pick from TOR). I don't see the 3 first rounders that ORL got being anything as DEN, PHI, and LAL are all playoff teams for the foreseeable future. As much as I didn't want a rental Dwight Howard, I'm just tired of Houston being in the middle of the pack. You can sink or swim in the NBA, and Houston has decided to float/doggie paddle.

OKC will be fine, the Lakers still don't match up well with Durant and Westbrook, and Perk can guard Howard by himself just like he did when he was in Boston.
Sent from Tapatalk
This. I just don't see that this is enough for LA to get past OKC. It will be a great series to watch, but in the end I still see OKC getting past them.

I hate this deal. I didn't want Howard to get what he wanted, I was hoping they could send him to Milwaukee.

The final straw for me was blowing off that kids camp, what a douche.

Howard looks like a 'Richard' but the Magic could have moved him to NJ and at least gotten something out if the deal. Now they are 'rebuilding'
Howard gets what he wants as do the Lakers and Orlando get to go back to small market rebuild mold

I hate this deal. I didn't want Howard to get what he wanted, I was hoping they could send him to Milwaukee.

The final straw for me was blowing off that kids camp, what a douche.
I agree. As much as I hate Lebron, Dwight has come off worse with the way he went about things. Would have been nice to see him shipped off to Toronto!

I agree. As much as I hate Lebron, Dwight has come off worse with the way he went about things. Would have been nice to see him shipped off to Toronto!
Toronto is a great city and third biggest media market in North America.

Toronto is a great city and third biggest media market in North America.
I am sure it is nice but it is irrelevant in the NBA! And I would like nothing more than Howard to be irrelevant for the rest of his career.

First off, I hate the Lakers but I have to admire them going for it all this year. However, there are some risks to this trade and I'm not ready to give them the NBA title yet. Let's remember Kobe, Pau and Nash are all past their prime and Howard is coming off back surgery. I still give the nod to the Heat as the best team in the league. Should be another fun season.

Bye bye Iggy....thanks for stealing a ton of money for not being a star or go-to player

I'm 99% sure they kept Pau... Lake Show is back again. Dwight, Pau, Metta, Kobe and Nash as their starting 5. Star studded to say the least, I'm not entirely sure how this will turn out though. I don't think Orlando got as bad of a deal as everyone's assuming. Afflalo is such a consistent shooter, and he's starting to mature as a prime time scorer. Al Harrington is solid and he can shoot it too. As for Vucevic, he was pretty good with USC, but his potential has been hazy to me since. Plus 3 picks? Sounds good to me. 76'ers lose AI2, but they gain Bynum and JRich.. An over emotional center and an aging guard. Not my cup of tea, but what do I know?

The Magic got absolutely fleeced in this trade. Afflalo is a nice complimentary player, Harrington is a one dimensional player who is getting up there in age, Vucevic stinks and will never be anything in the league. As for the picks, draft picks in the NBA have very little value if they're protected. All these picks will be mid-late round picks that in all likelihood will turn into nothing. This is what they got for giving up a superstar? Yeah, I'd say they got a little back as they possibly could have for Howard.

Bye bye Iggy....thanks for stealing a ton of money for not being a star or go-to player

Now you have Bynum to fill that role!

I am fine with this deal. Iggy was a dud who is no where the star others like to say he is. Bynum will not resign with Philly so it is only really one year we will have to pay him. Can they trade him at the deadline?

The Magic got absolutely fleeced in this trade. Afflalo is a nice complimentary player, Harrington is a one dimensional player who is getting up there in age, Vucevic stinks and will never be anything in the league. As for the picks, draft picks in the NBA have very little value if they're protected. All these picks will be mid-late round picks that in all likelihood will turn into nothing. This is what they got for giving up a superstar? Yeah, I'd say they got a little back as they possibly could have for Howard.
I think part of the problem was that they tried to get too much out of NJ for him and at some point it just made no sense for NJ. I know you want to maximize his trade value but at NJ stopped bidding against themselves and pulled out when the magic wouldn't make the deal workable.

Hopefully Iggy will help out here in Denver, Galinari and Fernandez can use the help

Wow what a ton of teams and players involved. I for one am glad Howard finally landed somewhere so we don't have to hear about it anymore!!!

Wow what a ton of teams and players involved. I for one am glad Howard finally landed somewhere so we don't have to hear about it anymore!!!

Until the off-season, of course. Has he confirmed an extension (I haven't really been paying attention). This has been worse then Favre and Penn state put together.

That sounds so sweet. It would be at such a fast pace.

Not really NBA, but not really 2012 Olympics: FIBA is proposing to add 3v3 basketball to the Olympics as early as 2016. I think this would be an awesome addition (with keeping 5v5, of course). Just imagine putting Lebron, Durant, and maybe Dwight Howard on a team :shock:, if they could play in both competitions.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olym...012-08-11/three-on-three-hoops-rio/56975564/1

Completely unnecessary and I don't understand it. Are we adding street ball to the Olympics? I don't like it at all

Completely unnecessary and I don't understand it. Are we adding street ball to the Olympics? I don't like it at all

What's wrong with it? I don't see why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back