Cleveland Smart Sole Wedges

Just caught a glimpse of these on twitter thanks to @ClevelandGolf

BWt_jbKCUAA5of_.jpg:large

Interesting. Certainly going to limit too much digging out there!

Initial comments these babies remind me of a backhoe. :D
However with the reputation of Cleveland there is a reason these wedges have a wide sole. Like the looks and hope I cam say the same about feel and performance.

Interesting. I love my Cleveland CG15 wedges. Not sure I could like these anymore than those, but would like to try them, especially out of the sand.

Looks like the alien wedge

Cleveland really stepped out there with this design. I won't judge till I've swung em.

Very niblck-ish, which is a god thing as far as I'm concerned. I loved my Niblick from a few years ago. It was easy to hit and was versatile. I took it out of the bag because I had one of the lower lofted ones and it overlapped with my PW. I know a lot of guys who wouldn't want to be caught with one in their bag because of its looks. So now, it looks like Cleveland took a proven design and put it into more of a standard wedge look. I'm anticipating these will be extremely easy to hit, but will be interested to see how they perform on tight lies, as that was always the issue with the Niblick.

The RTX are treating me right, but these could be interesting. I like the innovation we're seeing from Cleveland recently.

Saw these on twitter as well. Definitely interesting. If they work as well as they claim these could really help a lot of people.

If I got my hands on one of these I dont know if Id use it to replace my Estwing or my J40 lol. All kidding aside, this could really help countless amounts of golfers and would be fun to try out.

No thank you. Looks like the cavity back RTX I got earlier this year & I didn't care for it. Also it is married to more bounce than all the balls in the NBA. :(

The C certainly seems to be a chipper/niblick type club with that loft (41*) and view from address. Sand play has always been a big issue for me, so I'll at least give the S a shot if I can, although I don't really see the difference between it and other ultra wide-soled wedges (Hogan Sure-Out comes to mind).

I personally like the niblick, I had a 49 and it goes in and out of my bag? I never got to try the 56, but am always keen for more consistency out of the sand. So will consider buying one of these

i just can't understand how the wide sole works in the sand. Won't the wide sole prevent you from getting through the sand? I just can't seem to picture how it works, I'm sure it does and am very keen to try one.

Can someone explain it to me?

Looks interesting. I'll wait to see more before making any comments.

those look like great clubs for beginners

I'm a player who has the occasional problem with digging my wedges too much. I'm certainly going to give these a look.

I personally like the niblick, I had a 49 and it goes in and out of my bag? I never got to try the 56, but am always keen for more consistency out of the sand. So will consider buying one of these

i just can't understand how the wide sole works in the sand. Won't the wide sole prevent you from getting through the sand? I just can't seem to picture how it works, I'm sure it does and am very keen to try one.

Can someone explain it to me?

The super high bounce should (in theory) glide under the sand and push the ball up. I reviewed a really wide sole wedge early this year and that was probably the one thing it was best at, especially in the fluffier sand. For me at least.

Love that they reintroduced a niblick like club. Those really were amazingly easy to hit and were vastly underrated IMO

That is if you play the wedge square in the sand. Which is an absolute no-no in terms of technique.

The super high bounce should (in theory) glide under the sand and push the ball up. I reviewed a really wide sole wedge early this year and that was probably the one thing it was best at, especially in the fluffier sand. For me at least.

That is if you play the wedge square in the sand. Which is an absolute no-no in terms of technique.

True enough, but I think that's sort of the point for the intended market. Simplification.

I was curious about this, so asked a "wedge expert" and they said something very similar. In fact they went on to say that for many years including the last release season, the wedge that people call the sand wedge (56*) has always had more bounce than both higher and lower lofted wedges when looking at standard setups.

True enough, but I think that's sort of the point for the intended market. Simplification.

It's for the people that leave two and three in the bunker for sure. Rotating that club 45* and aiming a touch left is a sure out nearly every time though.

TTing

It's for the people that leave two and three in the bunker for sure. Rotating that club 45* and aiming a touch left is a sure out nearly every time though.

TTing

But it's not. Maybe if you practice it, but I always look at items like this (and the hybrid wedge I reviewed) and think of my FIL. He never practices, hovers around 95-110, and is perfectly content being there. For him, setting up square to the target is much easier and when he tried out the wide sole I had it was night and day. Opening up and the technique involved is not something that just comes naturally to somebody playing without instruction or regular practice. There area number of things that go along with it that have to be learned and practiced. It also brings the thin miss into play, which is often just as bad as staying in the bunker, if not worse.

True, but I think it is intended to be mindless. Don't worry about technique and just swing.

True, but I think it is intended to be mindless. Don't worry about technique and just swing.
I'm WAY more consistent when I approach bunker shots this way. Square to target, square face, swing fast, hit an inch behind the ball. When I try to do anything else...I'm usually 15 yards over the green (thin) or barely out of the bunker.

I'm WAY more consistent when I approach bunker shots this way. Square to target, square face, swing fast, hit an inch behind the ball. When I try to do anything else...I'm usually 15 yards over the green (thin) or barely out of the bunker.

Right. This is the swing that makes these effective IMO. Not for the people who want to control spin - just get out.

Back