The Photography Thread

I have a few bird shots from my Africa trip that I thought came out fairly well.

White Backed Vulture
i-8ShVfn3-L.jpg

African Fish Eagle with lunch
i-7Ks3dPz-XL.jpg

Lilac Breasted Roller
i-tZ2gCmW-L.jpg

Got the photoshop cc and light room cc for 9 a month, nice discount for being a teacher and it will definitely get used. I'm so excited about my setup now I can't stand it.

I would like to look into another lens for my product shots (up close) but have no real clue which way to go.

Got the photoshop cc and light room cc for 9 a month, nice discount for being a teacher and it will definitely get used. I'm so excited about my setup now I can't stand it.

I would like to look into another lens for my product shots (up close) but have no real clue which way to go.

What camera and lenses do you have now?

What camera and lenses do you have now?
D3000 (oldie now but I love it) and 18-55 as well as 55-200. Its a brave new world for me, not sure, maybe the 18-55 is all I need?

I love my 18-200. With 200mm you can play paparazzi all day.
D3000 (oldie now but I love it) and 18-55 as well as 55-200. Its a brave new world for me, not sure, maybe the 18-55 is all I need?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I love my 18-200. With 200mm you can play paparazzi all day.

Hahaha, only I don't need to play paparazzi with golf clubs!
You can probably get by with the 18-55 but take a look at the 40mm micro. I used one when I had a DX camera for food photography. It should be perfect for what you are doing and is a good value.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pr.../2200/AF-S-DX-Micro-NIKKOR-40mm-f%2F2.8G.html

Good stuff James, nice contrast.
Nice, will look into it!

So, don't mind the dust (not used to getting so much detail in the box thanks to the speedlites) or the wrinkles (need to steam the backdrop), or the angles on a couple as they were done for quick testing, but IMO there is a LOT of promise here.

DSC_0007-XL.jpg

DSC_0010-XL.jpg

DSC_0012-XL.jpg

DSC_0013-XL.jpg

DSC_0014-XL.jpg

DSC_0017-XL.jpg

DSC_0018-XL.jpg

DSC_0019-XL.jpg

DSC_0021-XL.jpg

DSC_0022-XL.jpg

DSC_0023-XL.jpg

DSC_0025-XL.jpg

Love it, you're gonna have some serious fun with this.

Love it, you're gonna have some serious fun with this.

I think so too buddy. I think I have my light box rigged to where I can get the shots/angles I need/want for the homepage article, then all the others I can continue to shoot outside for more angles for the forum. Win-win if I can hone in a few things.

Namely though, as close as I want/need to get, a Macro lens is going to become a necessity at some point, which sucks because, well, $$$.

I think so too buddy. I think I have my light box rigged to where I can get the shots/angles I need/want for the homepage article, then all the others I can continue to shoot outside for more angles for the forum. Win-win if I can hone in a few things.

Namely though, as close as I want/need to get, a Macro lens is going to become a necessity at some point, which sucks because, well, $$$.

There's a reason people invest in lenses instead of constantly updating the body....they make that much of a difference. But once you got it, it can last forever.

There's a reason people invest in lenses instead of constantly updating the body....they make that much of a difference. But once you got it, it can last forever.

Definitely. I'm just trying to figure out what I could/should go with for the light box photos. As close as I like to get and can get, I think a 40mm would be fine, but I keep reading so many recommending 60 or 105, plus, dear goodness the price.

More than anything though, I see this becoming a really fun hobby for me, even outside golf.

The Photography Thread

Definitely. I'm just trying to figure out what I could/should go with for the light box photos. As close as I like to get and can get, I think a 40mm would be fine, but I keep reading so many recommending 60 or 105, plus, dear goodness the price.

More than anything though, I see this becoming a really fun hobby for me, even outside golf.

For what you are doing I think the 60 and 105 might be too much. They are great for bugs, jewelry...small things, where you need the greater reach. For golf equipment I think the 40 would work well, especially on a crop body. And you can focus down to 6 inches if you do get something smaller.

Here's a refurb at bh for $230...when they get them back in stock.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/810414/Nikon_2200_40_mm_f_2_8G_AF_S.html

Looking into external flashes a lot lately. I never realized just how much they can help on some things.

I also really want lightroom still.

I bought a miniature light room for my GoPro to snap food pics and it works great!

So, don't mind the dust (not used to getting so much detail in the box thanks to the speedlites) or the wrinkles (need to steam the backdrop), or the angles on a couple as they were done for quick testing, but IMO there is a LOT of promise here.

DSC_0007-XL.jpg

DSC_0010-XL.jpg

DSC_0012-XL.jpg

DSC_0013-XL.jpg

DSC_0014-XL.jpg

DSC_0017-XL.jpg

DSC_0018-XL.jpg

DSC_0019-XL.jpg

DSC_0021-XL.jpg

DSC_0022-XL.jpg

DSC_0023-XL.jpg

DSC_0025-XL.jpg

I guess you got a light box, lol. Great pics btw and love that 777

I guess you got a light box, lol. Great pics btw and love that 777

Yeah, I have had one for a while (all three of us writers have one) but haven't been using it because I couldn't get the light right. Thanks to a surprise gift, I was able to pick up a couple of speedlites and a camera trigger/sensor and it has changed it entirely. Now have all the light I could want, just comes back to getting the lens I need.

Yeah, I have had one for a while (all three of us writers have one) but haven't been using it because I couldn't get the light right. Thanks to a surprise gift, I was able to pick up a couple of speedlites and a camera trigger/sensor and it has changed it entirely. Now have all the light I could want, just comes back to getting the lens I need.

Well your pics are finally catching up to your writing. They are really good now.not they weren't solid before

You could sure use a good macro lens. I'm not familiar with Nikon's lineup, so I can't really recommend anything. I have 2 Canon macro lenses (EF-S 60mm f2.8 and EF 100mm f2.8 L IS) and rarely use either one. I like having them available when I do need it though.

You could sure use a good macro lens. I'm not familiar with Nikon's lineup, so I can't really recommend anything. I have 2 Canon macro lenses (EF-S 60mm f2.8 and EF 100mm f2.8 L IS) and rarely use either one. I like having them available when I do need it though.
Yeah, I've been scouring the bay today, I'm just going to have to suck it up and jump in at some point.

What do you think about a 40mm for the distance and objects I'm shooting (light box puts me as close as possible)?

If money is an issue check into getting extension tubes for now to do some macro with your existing lens'.

Yeah, I've been scouring the bay today, I'm just going to have to suck it up and jump in at some point.

What do you think about a 40mm for the distance and objects I'm shooting (light box puts me as close as possible)?

I don't know anything about the limitations of a lightbox so it's hard for me to answer that. I know that for any of the photos you posted, my 60mm would be fine from a distance of one to two feet.

If money is an issue check into getting extension tubes for now to do some macro with your existing lens'.

This is also an excellent idea, although when I used them back in the past, I preferred a non zoom lens.

A couple of old photos, taken on transparency film in the late 70's and 80's. Scanned in from the slides on an Epson photo scanner.

This is my old 1980 Toyota 4x4, up four wheeling in the Colorado mountains:

i-LGCdSFW-XL.jpg

This is a photo taken from the Rock Cut turnout on Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park on Memorial Day weekend, the first weekend the road was open that year. The prominent mountain in the background is Longs Peak, one of Colorado's 54 14'ers.

i-RxBbx9K-XL.jpg

One more from the same period. The Tetons from somewhere in Jackson's Hole:

i-dKVmDDD-X2.jpg

I really like the first one Fourputt with the yota.

Since you have a DX sensor, you can get a 35mm prime lens for not much scratch, and you'll get an effective 52.5mm lens because of the 1.5x crop factor. Just other options. :)

Back