Callaway UPro MX GPS

used mine today, not nearly as dark on promode since I brightened up the backlight

need to work on anypoint, havent messed with it too much

the only issue I had is that on promode it sometimes zoomed in too far , and that little icon is tough to hit cause when its zoomed in its all the way over to the far right next to the club tracking button, so it kept registering that as what I wanted to do

the only issue I had is that on promode it sometimes zoomed in too far , and that little icon is tough to hit cause when its zoomed in its all the way over to the far right next to the club tracking button, so it kept registering that as what I wanted to do

The OFN button might help with that. When you press it in ProMode, it cycles between your "likely" landing area of next shot, the green closeup view, and the birds-eye view of the entire hole (just greenview and birds-eye when you are close to the green). So if you zoom in too far, you can cycle out and try again. Not perfect, but it could be quicker than an accidental shottrack and cancel.

The OFN button might help with that. When you press it in ProMode, it cycles between your "likely" landing area of next shot, the green closeup view, and the birds-eye view of the entire hole (just greenview and birds-eye when you are close to the green). So if you zoom in too far, you can cycle out and try again. Not perfect, but it could be quicker than an accidental shottrack and cancel.

awesome, I hadnt even tried that button yet at all, thanks

Thanks -- great tip!

used mine today, not nearly as dark on promode since I brightened up the backlight

need to work on anypoint, havent messed with it too much

Yea that zoom is off- I drag a full icons width above it and it wrks. The "hit" area is above the zoom icon

Regarding the belt clip -- it sounded good two months ago, but I've used the mx for so long without it that I'm really comfortable with just keeping it in my pocket. I'll give the clip a try, but it may end up in an drawer somewhere. Travel case may have been a better choice (using an old cell-phone case as my "travel case" right now).

7/31/11 UPDATE: I've used the belt clip for 3 rounds now (yea, it's been a good long weekend for me!). I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE BELT CLIP. The clip is two parts -- the part that clips onto your belt, and the shell that surrounds the upro mx. The connection between the two is a round "tab" on the shell that slides into a round slot on the belt clip. There are two small plastic clips on the belt-clip slot that must click onto the shell. This leaves the two parts rigidly joined -- there is no rotation like most cell phone belt clips I've seen. Perhaps because of this, any rotational force (like reaching into the pocket by the clip, or brushing against the side of a golf cart) seems to dislodge the mx from the clip. ALL THREE ROUNDS I've reached down for the mx only to find it gone. Fortunately, I was able to retrace my steps and find in within 50 yards of me, but that's too much of a chance to take. Even riding in the cart, when I've reached over the side to pick up a ball as I drive slowly past, the mx has popped out and fallen on the turf, almost getting run over.

I'm going back to just keeping the upro mx in my pocket. I've done that 20+ rounds and it has never fallen out, riding or walking.

Maybe it works better clipped to the bag, but I don't know if I could trust it there, either.

7/31/11 UPDATE: I've used the belt clip for 3 rounds now (yea, it's been a good long weekend for me!). I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE BELT CLIP. The clip is two parts -- the part that clips onto your belt, and the shell that surrounds the upro mx. The connection between the two is a round "tab" on the shell that slides into a round slot on the belt clip. There are two small plastic clips on the belt-clip slot that must click onto the shell. This leaves the two parts rigidly joined -- there is no rotation like most cell phone belt clips I've seen. Perhaps because of this, any rotational force (like reaching into the pocket by the clip, or brushing against the side of a golf cart) seems to dislodge the mx from the clip. ALL THREE ROUNDS I've reached down for the mx only to find it gone. Fortunately, I was able to retrace my steps and find in within 50 yards of me, but that's too much of a chance to take. Even riding in the cart, when I've reached over the side to pick up a ball as I drive slowly past, the mx has popped out and fallen on the turf, almost getting run over.

I'm going back to just keeping the upro mx in my pocket. I've done that 20+ rounds and it has never fallen out, riding or walking.

Maybe it works better clipped to the bag, but I don't know if I could trust it there, either.

yeah I dont think I could do the belt clip. I grab mine, get yardage then back into the cup holder in the cart it goes

yeah I dont think I could do the belt clip. I grab mine, get yardage then back into the cup holder in the cart it goes

thats exactly what i do... fits perfect in the cup holder with my phone/shades

thats exactly what i do... fits perfect in the cup holder with my phone/shades

I walk most of the time, so it's the pocket, belt or bag. Or I could do as my wife suggested, and clip it to my hat.

I use an blackberry phone case that works well. It clips to my belt .

Why am I not surprised to see this: Callaway is recalling the Upro MX.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equi...5/2011/08/callaway-golf-issues-recall-on.html

Callaway Golf began contacting retailers and consumers today to announce that it was issuing a voluntary recall of its latest GPS device, the uPro MX.

The company cited "technical challenges" in the rollout of the new device, and was offering a check or Callaway gift card for all returns. Callaway said consumers who are satisfied with their uPro MX device may keep it, and the company would continue to support it through the website, callawayuxplore.com. Consumers can obtain refund information at callawaygolf.com/upromxrefund. The refund offer is valid to consumers through Sept. 30.

Introduced this spring, the uPro MX was the second generation in the Callaway uPro GPS family. In addition to being able to be used in basic form for thousands of courses worldwide with no downloads, the device included a website where users could download advanced maps of courses, as well as track statistics with every club in the bag. Callaway's GPS device is unique in that its course maps feature aerial images of holes, rather than computerized renderings.

According to Tim Buckman, Callaway Golf senior director of global communications, the device's "technical challenges" centered on two main issues: 1) problems with the device's website in registering users and downloading course maps; 2) on-course usage glitches that included unexpected freezing or powering down. A recent review by Golfsmith customers gave the uPro MX device a 1 1/2 star rating on a 5-star scale.

"It's too early to determine how many devices are presenting technical challenges," Buckman said, "but enough for us to decide that a voluntary withdrawal from retail and a full refund offer was the right thing to do."

Although rare, other golf products to be recalled in recent years. In 2007, drivers from Nike, Cleveland and Cobra, as well as Callaway, were found to be non-conforming to the spring-like effect rule due to manufacturing inconsistencies, and each company offered a return/exchange program. In addition, golf balls from both Callaway and TaylorMade had to be pulled from the conforming list after manufacturing glitches in 2009.

Buckman said the company's design team will continue to work on new software to improve the functionality of the uPro MX device, and that the company plans to remain active in the GPS marketplace. Currently, Callaway is the only major golf club and ball manufacturer to be involved in the GPS field. The company also has partnered with Nikon to launch Callaway-branded laser rangefinders.

"Our voluntary withdrawal [of uPro MX] ensures that once we have made the appropriate software update, we can return the product to market and deliver the high quality experience that customers expect from Callaway," Buckman said. "Our commitment to delivering best in class products and services is the guiding principle behind this decision and we will continue to do whatever it takes to earn the trust of our customers. UPro MX and the callawayuxplore platform represent an important area of focus within Callaway and we are confident that our use of innovative technologies will advance the category."

--Mike Stachura

well taht sucks lol... but ionno about returning it
wonder if you keep it and they fix everything will the original unit be salvagable hmmm

hmm, wonder if they give everyone $200 even though its been priced lower as of late.

Sort of scared to keep mine now that the problems have been acknowledged without any fix dates

If you bought it off ebay would you be able to return it even tho you don't have an appropriate receipt?

hmm, $300?

Q: What reimbursement solutions are you offering upro mx golf GPS device consumers?
A: We greatly value our loyal consumers and we want to make things right. We are providing two reimbursement options for those who are unsatisfied with the upro mx. Consumers in the U.S. and Canada can return the upro mx device and authorized accessories for a refund based on the msrp, plus an allowance for sales tax. U.S. consumers can also opt for a $300 lump-sum Callaway Gift Card (for use on Shop.CallawayGolf.com).

Q: Can I return my upro mx golf GPS device to the retail store I bought it from?
A: The reimbursement offer for the msrp of the product, plus an allowance for sales tax, or the $300 Callaway Gift Card option, is only valid through the established return process outlined at http://www.callawaygolf.com/upromxrefund. Please note that if you would like to return your upro mx device, you should visit this website to fill out the online form. Once you electronically submit this form, a return kit will be mailed to your address so you can return your upro mx and upro mx accessories. If you do not have access to Internet to submit the form online, or if you prefer, you can also contact customer support at 1-800-507-7641

looks like could be 6 weeks before getting a check, maybe issues will be fixed by then and people will use the checks to buy new Upro's lol

I was just taking pics so I could put mine in the marketplace.

If you bought it off ebay would you be able to return it even tho you don't have an appropriate receipt?

I just read the small print...refunds only for devices bought from authorized dealers and receipts are needed. I had a friend get me mine from his cally rep and I bought the accessories off of ebay. Hopefully they get everything working soon and lift the recall.

I just read the small print...refunds only for devices bought from authorized dealers and receipts are needed. I had a friend get me mine from his cally rep and I bought the accessories off of ebay. Hopefully they get everything working soon and lift the recall.

yeah I cant find my receipt, amex said they will send them anything else they may need....called callaway to see what else they would accept, but offices were closed

It really is a shame they fumbled so hard with this launch.. So what's everyone going to do? I've already abandoned mine..

consider mine gone, especially since no ETA was listed as to when the true functionality will be revealed...cash can pay for the irons lol

It really is a shame they fumbled so hard with this launch.. So what's everyone going to do? I've already abandoned mine..

Well, I guess I am stuck with the accessories I bought, but maybe my buddy can help me out with the actual device. I may just hang onto everything for a little while and see if any progress is made.

hmm, wonder if they give everyone $200 even though its been priced lower as of late.

Sort of scared to keep mine now that the problems have been acknowledged without any fix dates

Callaway's FAQ states
Q: How much exactly is the check refund, and does it include what I paid in taxes?
A: The check refund includes manufacturer’s suggested retail price of purchased and returned items and an allowance for sales tax. The check refund for the upro mx golf GPS device is $218.90 US/$264.49 CND. Refund prices for accessories can be found by visiting
Q: Can I return my upro mx golf GPS device to the retail store I bought it from?
A: The reimbursement offer for the msrp of the product, plus an allowance for sales tax, or the $300 Callaway Gift Card option, is only valid through the established return process outlined at http://www.callawaygolf.com/upromxrefund.

I think I'll be sending mine back for the $218.90 refund and sticking with my GolfLogix unit for now. Too bad, this could have been a great unit I think.

Well, I guess I am stuck with the accessories I bought, but maybe my buddy can help me out with the actual device. I may just hang onto everything for a little while and see if any progress is made.
Q: I paid more than $300 for my upro mx golf GPS device/accessories/course package. Can I still get a gift card?
A: Certainly. However, the gift card amount will be $300. In order to receive the amount you are eligible for (msrp and allowance for sales tax), you should instead select the check refund option.

Callaway's FAQ states
Q: How much exactly is the check refund, and does it include what I paid in taxes?
A: The check refund includes manufacturer’s suggested retail price of purchased and returned items and an allowance for sales tax. The check refund for the upro mx golf GPS device is $218.90 US/$264.49 CND. Refund prices for accessories can be found by visiting
A: The reimbursement offer for the msrp of the product, plus an allowance for sales tax, or the $300 Callaway Gift Card option, is only valid through the established return process outlined at http://www.callawaygolf.com/upromxrefund.

I think I'll be sending mine back for the $218.90 refund and sticking with my GolfLogix unit for now. Too bad, this could have been a great unit I think.

I agree, I'll go back to using the different apps on my phone, as much as I hate using it, those apps werent really that different than anything on the Upro

Back