Anthony Kim - Can He Return?

Wow...if someone said you couldn't play golf again, but we'll give you $20 million dollars. That's a LOT of Zero's fellas. Are the odds are against him making $35 million (as they estimated) over the rest of his career? If he were to stay healthy and be close to what he was before? I'd say he would surpass that, but with his current frame of mind, he might be best to take the cash. He could just play side games for some small cash at the Country Club, if he wants some competition games again. Plus, let's be honest, two plus years off Tour...it's going to take some time to get back into TOUR form I'd bet.

he would have to prove he cannot play anymore due to injury to collect the insurance?

That's my question.....so him deeming himself not able to play is enough to collect on the policy?

I really enjoyed watching the kid play. Whether it's drugs or injury, his story is a tragic one. SO much talent wasted.

Yea id take the money and go play golf for fun. Only problem is the income stops but his lifestyle would probably blow through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea id take the money and go play golf for fun. Only problem is the income stops but his lifestyle would probably blow through it.

He could pretty easily make $1+ million a year by investing the insurance money.

Reading the article I take away it's less about the potential insurance windfall & more about whether or not he wants to deal with the PGA Tour, it's internal politics & insider atmosphere. Granted his off the course behavior has caused those to whisper/talk behind his back, but seems like going back into that environment would cause more harm than good. I get the sense that the kid is on the verge of imploding and doing worse damage by throwing himself back into the tour.

I hope he can turn it around and figure it out. Selfishly I hope he returns to golf and plays well bc the US fanbase needs his attitude/passion on tour.

That's my question.....so him deeming himself not able to play is enough to collect on the policy?

i highly doubt it. i would think a casual round of golf could jeopardize the claim. i'm no insurance guy, though.

He will never be back, mark my words. At least based upon how the story is portraying his actions I'd say he is suffering and sad. Hopefully there are still people in his life who can reach him and get him to get help for whatever caused such a drastic change in his life.

With as much talent as he had, if he still has any desire to play again he should. Prove people wrong and re-gain some respect and dignity. His fire and passion was one of the things that got me into golf to begin with.

Crazy story. Talent and desire aren't always married

Tragic! He was fun to watch and had more talent then you could ever hope for.

I say no. Achilles injuries take longer than ACL's and I wasn't really right for 20 months after my ACL surgery. The PGA Tour is too competitive to come back from injuries like this for most. There are only 125 players that get to keep their card for the next year, and 50+ of those 125 return year after year and are almost impossible to displace. That means there are only about 75 spots open and you're competing against the rest of the world, not just Americans. As a comparison there are about 2200 active NFL players and many of those careers only last a few years. It just shows how good those guys are.

Last edited:
If I were AK I would take the $10M and never pick up a golf club again. How many golfers have actually made $35M in the lifetimes...10 or so?

If I were AK I would take the $10M and never pick up a golf club again. How many golfers have actually made $35M in the lifetimes...10 or so?

The better Q is, how much of those winnings does he actually still have...

Im not sure. One or two good tournaments and he makes that in 3-4 years. Depends on the values of the person if you ask me.

I would hope he'd get back on the horse and play. Taking an insurance policy like that is just a weak move. Get out there and work for it dude

I would hope he'd get back on the horse and play. Taking an insurance policy like that is just a weak move. Get out there and work for it dude

For 10 million, I'd happily take a weak move.

Yeah it is easy for us to say get out there, but at the same time, its not as if he is going to start in the mail room. He comes back to endorsements, and tournament play.

Yeah it is easy for us to say get out there, but at the same time, its not as if he is going to start in the mail room. He comes back to endorsements, and tournament play.

Very true, but if all the other talk about his "mental state" is true, I wouldn't be shocked to see him take the money and run. I dunno, I genuinely hope he tries to play again, I like AK because he's emotional and different, an ass sometimes yes, but fun to watch. Its just been so damn long it seems, its strange.

It just seems so lazy. Why just limit yourself to 10m when he could get back out, and be good enough to get into the FedEx chase? A lot more potential for bigger payout than just 10 million.

It just seems so lazy. Why just limit yourself to 10m when he could get back out, and be good enough to get into the FedEx chase? A lot more potential for bigger payout than just 10 million.

But the q is could he be good enough, we've seen some lose it and never even come close to regaining it for whatever reason (Duval), and if he's not doing anything golf related, even as good as these guys are, I can see the thought that it would be a risk to walk away from 10 million.

The question about money and not play golf has been brought up before...if he doesn't like to play anymore, and he can't enjoy golf, he should just runs. But if there's the slightest flame inside that burns for golf, I hope he follows that flame. There's bigger things in life than money.

So what happens if he takes the policy cash out then is caught playing with his friends?

So what happens if he takes the policy cash out then is caught playing with his friends?

I thought I heard somewhere that it meant no more playing professionally for $$, but could still play recreationally. Could be totally off there though.

But the q is could he be good enough, we've seen some lose it and never even come close to regaining it for whatever reason (Duval), and if he's not doing anything golf related, even as good as these guys are, I can see the thought that it would be a risk to walk away from 10 million.

And that's a legit fear for him I'm sure. I think it comes down to if he even wants to try versus the risk of failing

Back