TaylorMade M2 Driver Preview

the average consumer who spent $499 on the m1 will look at this as you just came out with a driver that was supposed to be helpful, generate more speed and more distance and now another one that's supposed to be alomg those lines. Naming it with m and number causes confusion to the guy who buys off the rack and doesn't do research

Apparently TM is not nearly as concerned about that as some new M1 owners are...

I think you under-estimate the "average person". Most people these days will do a bit of research before buying a new driver. They know there is a lot to choose from.

I don't quite agree with this. If they did, the used racks at golf stores would look a heck of a lot different.

I don't quite agree with this. If they did, the used racks at golf stores would look a heck of a lot different.

Blame the ho's for that...buy and sell, buy and trade, repeat..

Blame the ho's for that...buy and sell, buy and trade, repeat..

If it's fit to the person, no need to buy and sell is there? They would have already found what works best for them and they'd know the tendencies of that driver on center and off center strikes.

If it's fit to the person, no need to buy and sell is there? They would have already found what works best for them and they'd know the tendencies of that driver on center and off center strikes.

Lets not forget the "club ho" market makes up less than a fraction of a percent.

A person can be fit to the M2 about as easily as an M1, but a true equipment "ho" will always be looking for what can knock his "current" driver out of the bag...never satisfied with the status quo even if he hits it well...:D Ho's exist...and they tend to frequent golf opinion forums...

I would also bet that people participating in this forum change drivers, (and other clubs), way more often than the average bear...just check your own WITB from last year if you need further proof...
:bananadance:

Last edited:
Lets not forget the "club ho" market makes up less than a fraction of a percent.

Agreed. A local store might have a two hand count of those a year. Based on just what you did today at a local range in another thread, the average driver in people's bags is 3-5yrs old?

Agreed. A local store might have a two hand count of those a year. Based on just what you did today at a local range in another thread, the average driver in people's bags is 3-5yrs old?

Yes, average change is something like 18 months for driver and 39 months for irons.
Some People on the internet tend to forget that there are millions of golfers.

Maybe. Im not sure though. Natural convention says the higher number is the next driver.
Titleist goes around this by releasing Ap1 and Ap2 at the same time.
I mean if Ping released G30 and then two months later released G29 with no adjustable hosel and it costs less, it would confuse people. Just as it would if they did the same and called it G35.

However if released at the same time, its simply here is M1 and here is M2, designed for different golfers.

THIS, is what I was trying to figure out earlier but couldn't put to words.. And why I think this concept works well for other companies.

Release the M1 and M2 at the same time, and it makes perfect sense for everyone (well, minus the loss of adjustability).

THIS, is what I was trying to figure out earlier but couldn't put to words.. And why I think this concept works well for other companies.

Release the M1 and M2 at the same time, and it makes perfect sense for everyone (well, minus the loss of adjustability).

Mizuno does such crazy things when naming their MP irons...they go backwards with numbers all the time...Remember that ancient set of MP-33's or MP67's...how about last year's MP-15 or this years MP-25.

:banghead:

Mizuno does such crazy things when naming their MP irons...they go backwards with numbers all the time...Remember that ancient set of MP-33's or MP67's...how about last year's MP-15 or this years MP-25.

I'm not sure I understand why you're comparing Mizuno Iron releases to TaylorMade driver releases?

I understand you support this company, but seriously?

If any company releases one product called A1. Then 6 months later releases another product and call it A2, the ONLY NATURAL RESPONSE is that A2 is the successor to A1.

THP has been very straight forward in that its not the case. In that it is not replacing M1 and that its just another driver in the line, but to pretend that the natural thought of the general person is that 2 does not come after 1 is absolutely crazy.

Throwing out random numeric codes from various years not done in succession and one right after the other has no bearing, but even if they did, that does not change the natural thought process.

It doesnt take away from the club. It doesnt take away from why anybody should want to hit it. Its merely common sense that 2 comes after 1 and when not released together its obvious that people will assume one is the successor.

The best example of this was TaylorMade itself back with R9. If they had released R9, and then R10 instead of R9 460 and R9 SuperTri, the same exact things would have been said.

I'm just glad it's not named RocketNunchuks or some nonsense like that.

I'm hoping Taylormade has a great way of marketing this to stop some of the confusion.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm hoping Taylormade has a great way of marketing this to stop some of the confusion.

I have been told they do and am looking forward to it.
For all of the talk of the name, just like the M1, I am looking forward to testing it out and it will be a part of Club Clash of course.

I'm just glad it's not named RocketNunchuks or some nonsense like that.

I would love to play a club called RocketNunchucks.

That would be hysterically awesome.

For all of the talk of the name, just like the M1, I am looking forward to testing it out and it will be a part of Club Clash of course.

I'm excited to hit this one side by side with the M1.

My first two drivers were Taylormade, but haven't gotten along with their recent offerings. Hoping that changes.

M2 seems to be the Aero replacement. Just picked up an Aero Burner 5w 18 and LOVE it. Easy high launch, 210m shots. Perfect for tight par 4 or par 5 second shots when presented. Be really keen to see what these are like. Is part of this line a new iron?

I think this will be the most important thing to make both lines coexist and be successful. Could use it like the AP1/AP2 lines with an opposing release cycle.

I think this will be the most important thing to make both lines coexist and be successful. Could use it like the AP1/AP2 lines with an opposing release cycle.

Except Ap1/Ap2 are released at the same time, which makes sense.

The teaser I saw on GC said "the M line is complete" so to me that's pretty clear it's not a replacement at all haha

Was at my local golf shop this morning to grab a dozen balls. As I was taking a couple swings with the M1, I asked one of the fitters about the M2. He said the price point will be $399, and felt it was more similar to the Jetspeed than the AeroBurner (in terms of spin and forgiveness).

Guess we'll see if he's right soon enough, but the $399 sounds right. Carbon fiber crown + real shaft options = more $.

I'm no genius when it comes to golf equipment but regardless if they call it the M2, AeroBurner jr., RocketBallz III, or Bob, I can clearly tell that this is not a replacement for the M1.

So many people have a negative connotation on these driver/woods and they've never even seen them outside of the dark picture from a magazine ad so far. The TaylorMade hate is unbelievable. Any other company comes out with new equipment and people are excited about trying it and seeing what it does. TM does anything and it's at least 7 pages of hate with no real discussion about the product itself.

I'm not sure I understand why you're comparing Mizuno Iron releases to TaylorMade driver releases?

Somehow you missed the point that nobody complains about Mizuno's conventions even though Mizuno's MP iron number names are all over the place...That would seem to be far more confusing to a prospective Consumer/Buyer than what TM has done with the M2 Driver name following the M1.

TM's name for the AeroBurner replacement seems to really bother certain people here, and my original post was to question why the name should even matter...as I stated you don't hit the name, you hit the club, and higher price does not always translate into better performance for a particular individual.

As previously stated, for some reason TM gets nitpicked and criticized more than other brands, and now its even their naming conventions...an issue that seems too silly to worry about.

Back