Callaway XR Driver Review Thread

OK, so...

Ten balls with each after warming up, clear big misses were tossed from the averages, and the high outlier was also tossed for each.

Alpha 815 - PX LZ - 46" Averages:
Ball Speed: 159
Club Speed: 108
Smash: 1.48

XR - PX LZ - 46" Averages:
Ball Speed: 154
Club Speed: 110
Smash: 1.40

Now, what does this tell me? First that I saw the clubhead speed increase just like everyone else at the event this weekend did, very cool. Second, I'm clearly not accustomed to the weight difference for the XR yet, contact had to be more skewed on that head because of not really trusting it yet as evidenced by the ball speed and lower smash. So, its NOT a club thing, its a swing thing. With the jump in club speed, I have ZERO doubt spending more time with the XR this week and repeating this test this weekend will result in an increase in the ball speed and smash.

Lower lofted head, same launch I see from my 815, and the spin looked quite similar too. I do game the 12* 815, so it will spin a little more than a lower lofted 815 and the launch of the 10.5 XR balancing out is no surprise as we know this one launches.

Sound is...boisterous...moreso when YOU are hitting it than watching a bunch of others hit it like I did this weekend, reminds me of the G30 sound a lot honestly, not AS hollow though.

More testing with this one is going to be a LOT of fun. I look forward to adding as much feedback in here as I can.

What were your numbers with the XR with the Prototype shaft compared to the LZ. Also what felt better shaft wise?

What were your numbers with the XR with the Prototype shaft compared to the LZ. Also what felt better shaft wise?
I don't have a proto buddy, I wasn't at the ust event for gear, just to help JB with the coverage of those guys having an incredible experience.

I don't have a proto buddy, I wasn't at the ust event for gear, just to help JB with the coverage of those guys having an incredible experience.
How many videos did you take?

I'm sorry, I don't know how I read that wrong in the other thread. You did a great job filling in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, so...

Ten balls with each after warming up, clear big misses were tossed from the averages, and the high outlier was also tossed for each.

Alpha 815 - PX LZ - 46" Averages:

Club Speed: 110
Smash: 1.40

Now, what does this tell me? First that I saw the clubhead speed increase just like everyone else at the event this weekend did, very cool. Second, I'm clearly not accustomed to the weight difference for the XR yet, contact had to be more skewed on that head because of not really trusting it yet as evidenced by the ball speed and lower smash. So, its NOT a club thing, its a swing thing. With the jump in club speed, I have ZERO doubt spending more time with the XR this week and repeating this test this weekend will result in an increase in the ball speed and smash.

Lower lofted head, same launch I see from my 815, and the spin looked quite similar too. I do game the 12* 815, so it will spin a little more than a lower lofted 815 and the launch of the 10.5 XR balancing out is no surprise as we know this one launches.

Sound is...boisterous...moreso when YOU are hitting it than watching a bunch of others hit it like I did this weekend, reminds me of the G30 sound a lot honestly, not AS hollow though.

More testing with this one is going to be a LOT of fun. I look forward to adding as much feedback in here as I can.

That's good stuff James. I'll be interested to hear your updated results when you get more time with the XR.

I'm sorry, I don't know how I read that wrong in the other thread. You did a great job filling in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries dude!

That's good stuff James. I'll be interested to hear your updated results when you get more time with the XR.

Thank you my friend, looking forward to adding some details and thoughts in here from what I see.

Plus, I venture we will have 9 other guys joining in here now very very soon.

Spent another afternoon at the range today with the XR. This was my 4 session and I'm starting to really like this club. Today I put a wrap of tape on the butt so I could consistently choked up about 3/4". This did wonders for me finding the center of the club face. By far I had the most center strikes with the club and heard that sweet sound. Johnny Miller would have commented a few times that he really heard me compress the ball on that shot:act-up:. I think the improvement today is equally from me choking up and getting use to the club. I may try and play it at the full length again, but I know it works great just choking down a little.

At the range it was about 15-20 mph wind head on. It was one of those days, if you don't hit it good the wind just eats it up. Days like this really tell you how your hitting the ball, there's no hiding. When I over swing I lose the ball high and right like most people. Into the wind its even higher and "righter". So today's session really taught me to control my tempo and put a nice smooth swing on it. I was pretty consistently carrying it passed 200 yard marker. Which may not sound like much, but with range balls and into the wind I'll take it. For reference my 4 iron was only carrying about 150-160, which is usually about 190-200 for me.

My miss with this club is still a fade, but most of them would have still been in the fairway, only being 15-20 yards off line. I did finally start to hit a draw with it when I really focused on releasing the club. It felt a little awkward to do this, but it produced some really nice long bombs. I will will have to decided If I'm going to try continue this almost forced release or just learn to play for the baby fade. I maybe able to adjust my grip to help with the release too.

I think this club is going to be a performer for me. I'm kind of wishing I would have got the 9 degree version instead. I have mine turned down to 9.5 which I think is going to be pretty good for me, but it would have been nice to have been in the middle of the adjustment range. I chose the 10.5 having read it was low spinning. I didn't realize it was so high launching.

Why wait? I'm going to get out again today and do some more numbers testing on this and the 815, going to keep using the same shaft in each, but will throw an Elements Chrome and Diamana S+ into the mix today. Should be able to get on course with it to for at least 9, will have some more performance thoughts this evening for sure.

So I was able to get to the range for a bit yesterday and hit about 30-40 balls with the XR. I had it set at standard and 9*. It was 32* outside and a soft breeze so not ideal conditions, but it's the Midwest and I've gotta take what I can get.

First thing I'll say is that I didn't have much of a swing. I was really nowhere near the center of the clubface and my shots were ballooning high with a consistent right to left draw of about 15 yards. Ball was only carrying about 200 yards. The draw is fairly consistent to how things were flying when I previously hit the demo driver, but that's where the similarities end.

Even though poor, my shots were extremely consistent. They all were on the same flight path and would have been fairly playable on the course....although short. Maybe I'll have to suggest Callaway work on strikes on the extremely high and inside part of the club face since that was my "place to be" today.... Ugh. It's a bit frustrating.

I really need to get on the course and get some rounds in with some real shots, but I'm not sure when this weather is going to cooperate. 29* and 30 mph winds as I type.

Although my experience with the driver wasn't great yesterday, I can lean back on my previous go rounds with the club and know that there are good swings to be made and great shots to be hit. I just need to get out there and do it.

bbdbd8c761d39988e428d015676bcbe7.jpg
3bac787794252b36634f6ac7e32235fd.jpg

I can confirm as I played today with Kang. An absolute pleasure to play with. A few of those drives were crazy long. The shaft really feels good when hit and timed right. The head is hot but definitely need to get the right shaft to make it work. I have one ordered and look forward to putting it in play.
I can concur as well and think this will be a great weapon for you! What a great swing you've got and don't let him fool you...he can put it out there...and score well!

I think the stock pairing is good, but is hard to find the head coming through the swing. Obviously our swings are not as repeatable as we would like, but with any combo...being able to tell where the club is majes a big difference. Feel is probably not the best word...awareness of where it is makes a big difference and can mess with what our minds do to the swing.

Last edited:
For the first time, I managed to get inside with the XR and get some numbers. Now, they were Golfsmith sim numbers, but I wanted to see if the issues everyone was claiming were applying to me as well.

Well, with 2300 RPM of spin from 105 MPH swing with a 13* launch angle, I was getting 284 total yards. In line with my more exotic setups. And the shaft just feels smooth. My last 2 rounds were +3 and -2 off of par, so something must be working.

The driver is the first since the G30 that just screams confidence through forgiveness. Paired with the LZ, I am happy it's in the bag.

Really good stuff Fup. Those are very solid.

Really good stuff Fup. Those are very solid.

I have issue with creating loft with the driver and this is the first one in a bit I have had more ability to get in the air. And it helps it just wants to go straight. I am hoping to put some more aggressive passes this week, but as of now I am happy with what I am seeing on all fronts.

For the first time, I managed to get inside with the XR and get some numbers. Now, they were Golfsmith sim numbers, but I wanted to see if the issues everyone was claiming were applying to me as well.

Well, with 2300 RPM of spin from 105 MPH swing with a 13* launch angle, I was getting 284 total yards. In line with my more exotic setups. And the shaft just feels smooth. My last 2 rounds were +3 and -2 off of par, so something must be working.

The driver is the first since the G30 that just screams confidence through forgiveness. Paired with the LZ, I am happy it's in the bag.
What was the carry?

I got it on a lm at pga superstore yesterday, I fully expected to walk away with it, but dispersion was not good. I don't fully trust monitors in that regard, but it was a bit concerning. Other than that numbers were good, I hit it against the G30 with tour shaft that I love, and the Vapor Pro. Ss was 3 mph faster vs the Nike, and 1 mph over the G30. Ball speed was up also. Launch was great with both the G30 and XR, but spin was low with thr G30, spin numbers were very good with the XR on the better swings, but went way up on bad swings.

I didn't jot down averages with the XR, but as I recall it would be around 13* and 2500rpms. Really really solid. Just it had a tendency to get really left, which the other two weren't doing. I'm not totally sure it wasn't an alignment issue or monitor issue, but it was enough to make me hit it outside again before pulling the trigger.

What was the carry?

I got it on a lm at pga superstore yesterday, I fully expected to walk away with it, but dispersion was not good. I don't fully trust monitors in that regard, but it was a bit concerning. Other than that numbers were good, I hit it against the G30 with tour shaft that I love, and the Vapor Pro. Ss was 3 mph faster vs the Nike, and 1 mph over the G30. Ball speed was up also. Launch was great with both the G30 and XR, but spin was low with thr G30, spin numbers were very good with the XR on the better swings, but went way up on bad swings.

I didn't jot down averages with the XR, but as I recall it would be around 13* and 2500rpms. Really really solid. Just it had a tendency to get really left, which the other two weren't doing. I'm not totally sure it wasn't an alignment issue or monitor issue, but it was enough to make me hit it outside again before pulling the trigger.

Somewhere in the 265-270 range.

Funny about going left. This one has a bid of a fade for me. I am pretty sure its how the head sets up, but my miss is a smother hook and I have only done that once. Otherwise, it leaks right on me which is completely new.

Somewhere in the 265-270 range.

Funny about going left. This one has a bid of a fade for me. I am pretty sure its how the head sets up, but my miss is a smother hook and I have only done that once. Otherwise, it leaks right on me which is completely new.
They were pulls that kept on going left, if it really was occurring it was clearly me shutting the face, but it concerned me that it was only happening with 1 driver.

I will have a ton to offer this thread in the next few days.

Let's just say my XR isn't going anywhere soon. ☺

Got out today, played 18 with the XR and LZ combo in the bag (non HC) and prior to that hit a LOT of range balls and tracked some info.

Used 4 different shaft setups all at standard 10.5, the stock LZ, the LZ50 Hand-Crafted, new Diamana S+, and Elements Chrome 6F4T. Threw out the outliers for each, bad misses or big jumps, and ended with averages from 8 balls with each:

Ball Speed: 157
Club Speed: 111
Smash: 1.46

XR - PX LZ50 HC - 46" Averages:
Ball Speed: 160
Club Speed: 111
Smash: 1.47

XR - '15 Diamana S+ - 45" Averages:
Club Speed: 109
Smash: 1.44

XR - Elements Chrome 6F4T - 45" Averages:
Ball Speed: 158
Club Speed: 109

For a reference, I again hit the 815 under the same criteria at its standard 12* but with the LZ50 HC this time

815 - PX LZ50 HC - 46" Averages:

So, what does it say this time? Clearly I'm getting more used tot he weight profile and look, the contacts were much more solid, hence the jump in smash from yesterdays numbers. The longer length had the highest ball speeds, with the exception of the Chroe nudging in there, but thats for another thread. I'm most impressed with the clubhead speed, the jump is real and again backs everything we saw this weekend. The distances I was seeing with the two LZ's were pretty damn fun and exciting to say the least.

After a round too, some thoughts on the XR:
  • The sound is better in the middle of the face LOL. Funny, but true, both in overall acoustics and feedback to the user, you definitely know when and where you miss on this one.
  • Launch is awesome, I'm seeing similar peaks out of the 10.5 here that I do from my 815 12...the 815 is still a bit higher though.
  • Its not a high spinner, its just not. I've seen SO MANY NUMBERS the past 3 days, that its been proven to me again and again. Plus, when Danny Le says its not a high spin head, its not a high spin head.
  • Distance is solid, the added head speed helps there clearly but the ball travels much further to me than I ever THINK it will based on the sound at impact if that makes sense, its always an "oh, hey, wow" thing for me there. I hit some MASSIVE shots today on course, when I wasn't hanging back and flipping at the end, thank you swing fault.
  • Its not as forgiving as the 815 in terms of speed retention IMO. Its good, its better than the X2Hot and Xhot by a lot there IMO, but the 815 is king of the class there. High on the face sees a solid spin drop as expected, toe side didn't see much of a funky jump based on flight, low is solid, and heel will spin a lot when you miss there but that is with ANY driver IMO.
  • It looks good. The crown is no biggie to me, its just like the turbulators were for me. I kinda like it. Plus, matte black is cool.
  • Had zero issues feeling the head in the swing, I know the swing weight thing is personal, but even bouncing to a heavier head by my settings (815) then back to the XR I had no problems locating it in the swing.
  • The LZ is a good shaft, fact is, and I don't say this to get anyones dander up, people overthink it a lot. IMO the "loose" feel is what those who haven't used a "loading zone" shaft a good bit are confusing for that. Its a TOTALLY different feel, its addictive if you let it be, but you have to just stop thinking, overanalyzing, whatever and just trust it to be there. Because it will be. Its a damn smart setup for them in this head, it hits a LOT of needs for am's. Is it for everyone? No, but its not going to cause a ton of lost yards or anything crazy.
  • You get used to the sound, its not G30 loud, but its close. Its craaaaazy when you alternate this and then 815 for swings hahahaha.
  • I said it with my 815 homepage review and will here too, the R-Moto face is legit.
  • Had no issues with head caused misses, misses all come back to the swing.

Anywho, lots of thoughts, a bit of numbers, some rambling and whatnot. Its fun stuff, and I plan on keeping on with it for a while in terms of putting the head through its paces. There is a lot of potential here for me based on the head speed gains, its all about getting comfortable and swinging, not steering, for me.

Solid comments James. I've been sidelined by weather and a cold, but I can't wait to get back out with this club. After the first round outside with it, I just want to keep hitting it, as I know the results will be there. I was one who was guilty of over-thinking the shaft based on a few early sim sessions with poor results, but getting outside and seeing actual performance, I'm done worrying about the LZ.

So it was a bit better weather this week, very wet this weekend but here are more thoughts with a weeks worth of play.

Going back on what I said before on the sound at impact. There IS in fact a noticeable sweet and loud crack at impact when you pop it in the middle. I put some impact tape and noticed I had been hitting it a bit high on the face and that was mainly due to the fact I teed it up higher because it was a bigger head than I'm used to (I've always had 440 heads). Off the bottom there is this nice mushed feeling.

I will say that without a doubt, when hitting this driver off the bottom offers the least amount of distance loss I've experienced out of a driver. I caught a low one that ran into hilly rough (I say that so you understand that it wasn't based on roll out but actual carry. Besides in NC we aren't getting much role lol) and went about 240-250 yards or so keeping up with some of the guys in my group.

Now for my overall experience:
Due to how light this driver is compared to what I'm used to, my tempo was off on most of my starts. I was fighting the hooks all day with the the XR driver. It wasn't until the back 9, where I choked down an inch, and really focused on easing my tempo that I started hitting some good drives. They were higher than I'm used to but still carried well and it felt easier to hit that yardage in terms of effort. It wasn't spinning up, it just launched higher. In terms of longest drives, I didn't see any with the XR beat out my current driver but it was by no means short. However, the overall average in distance achieved on a day that wasn't my best with the driver, was more. So having that extra forgiveness was great.

When you begin to find your groove with the XR driver, it is very rewarding. The shaft feels very smooth and the XR is no louder than my 915 or the G30 I tried. And I like that personally. When I smash one I want there to be a smashing noise to go with it lol.

Overall I think it's a great driver, like I said before, if your used to a heavier driver then it might take a bit for you to get used to. I rely on a lot on my rhythm and tempo and my arms were getting out a little ahead of my body on those hooks and draws. i'm not sure if there was any draw biased built into this club but I'm sure that it was the Indian and not the arrow :). However, getting used the shaft and driver was very rewarding and I'm looking forward to playing it through to VICTORY at #theKING #ImWithHarry.

If the weather holds, I'll be putting this one to work some more for more thoughts.

Really hope to see all of #TheKing guys keep jumping in with their detailed thoughts on it too, makes for a good read.

Played a quick 9 this AM on a short course with only one Par 4 I can hit driver on. I didnt put a remotely good swing on it, but the damn thing still ended up about 280 out and only 15 yards off line. It's silly.

Back