Bridgestone J15 Cavity Back Irons

Took a few swipes with j4u's the other day. Such beautiful clubs! Good amount of forgiveness in these for sure

Ugh...I hit the CB with S300 shafts (again) at the KC Invitational today and I'm still in remorse for not ordering these for my #THPLegacy irons. Shot after shot was just so pure. The sound, feel and ball flight was awesome. These are such good irons.

Whoops...

TBH the DF's and the CB's weren't too far off. You'll do just fine with the DF's and get similar results and also probably see a little more speed retention on miss-hits. You shouldn't have any remorse for picking the DF's IMO.

cbaker, I may have missed it but what shafts do you have in the 15s?

Yep, like Dan quoted I have the DG pro S300 in mine. Love the little bit of launch help in the longer irons it gives me.

I tried Dans with the Tour V's, and I got good results, but the couple swings I will miss hit the DG pros help.

Ugh...I hit the CB with S300 shafts (again) at the KC Invitational today and I'm still in remorse for not ordering these for my #THPLegacy irons. Shot after shot was just so pure. The sound, feel and ball flight was awesome. These are such good irons.

I have to agree with Collin on his thoughts. the DFs are right there with the CBs.

Hitting both yesterday, I vastly preferred the CB to the DF, which surprised me. Honestly, the more I look at the line the more the DF confuses me. But, more options for us isn't a bad thing.

Hitting both yesterday, I vastly preferred the CB to the DF, which surprised me. Honestly, the more I look at the line the more the DF confuses me. But, more options for us isn't a bad thing.
Same I don't really understand the df in the line honestly I never saw a difference in forgiveness between the two distance is about the same and imo the cbs feel a lot better. I do think the cb has a perception of not having any forgiveness because of the name but that is far from the case.

Of course that is just my opinion and options are always great for everyone .

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

So I basically played these all day (Canadans'). First two shots I took, absolute darts. Ended up shooting 74. And had looks at birdie on the last 4 holes inside 8 feet. Only made 1, and it was the longest one of the 4 lol. I'm in serious ponder mode. Maybe a Christmas present. But man they feel so good.

So I basically played these all day (Canadans'). First two shots I took, absolute darts. Ended up shooting 74. And had looks at birdie on the last 4 holes inside 8 feet. Only made 1, and it was the longest one of the 4 lol. I'm in serious ponder mode. Maybe a Christmas present. But man they feel so good.

Dude. do it.

Just played my 2nd 9 with these and holy cow they feel good. I wasn't swinging all that well the first time out with them, but this time tonight I was swinging nice and smooth, and they are just money. Feel so good, good distance, and still good forgiveness. Had a couple fluffy lies and got too much under them hitting them real high on the face and still only came up about 5-10 yards short of where I was aiming for. That's pretty good IMO.

...and man they look good.

Same I don't really understand the df in the line honestly I never saw a difference in forgiveness between the two distance is about the same and imo the cbs feel a lot better. I do think the cb has a perception of not having any forgiveness because of the name but that is far from the case.

Of course that is just my opinion and options are always great for everyone .

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

i guess i'll need to hit the cb's with the dg pro r300 like i have in my df's, because these df's are longer than any iron i've ever hit. and more forgiving than anything i've ever with this profile.

I think the biggest testament to any iron set is not how they perform or how much they make you love them while you are playing well, but how they handle themselves while you are playing poorly. These irons absolutely perform and make me love them time and time again even when playing terribly. I put up a 98 last weekend, I played some of the worst played shots I have in a long time, and I still absolutely loved these irons. They don't have the typical super harsh feel that players irons typically have on mishits, but still provide all of the feedback you could possibly need. The bad play I had was all from swing faults, which looking back at it, I just kept leaving my hands out too far and ended up pushing and shanking a few shots, but the good shots I had were still fantastic. I can not recommend them enough.

I think the biggest testament to any iron set is not how they perform or how much they make you love them while you are playing well, but how they handle themselves while you are playing poorly. These irons absolutely perform and make me love them time and time again even when playing terribly. I put up a 98 last weekend, I played some of the worst played shots I have in a long time, and I still absolutely loved these irons. They don't have the typical super harsh feel that players irons typically have on mishits, but still provide all of the feedback you could possibly need. The bad play I had was all from swing faults, which looking back at it, I just kept leaving my hands out too far and ended up pushing and shanking a few shots, but the good shots I had were still fantastic. I can not recommend them enough.

Honest question here and I really would like your input. I've been going through the test drive on these irons and have hit every steel/stiff shaft combination they have. I too, love the look and feel of these irons. So the question is: Do these irons contribute to your percentage of "worst played shots" by being just a bit too demanding? That's the question on which I'm struggling with these. I have hit some of the most memorable, accurate and long shots with both the 5 and 7 irons. Shots where I go, "Wow! Did I just do that?" But there have also been a high percentage of shanks and hooks. Swing faults obviously, but that's my game. Just wondering how you balance the great look and feel of these with the possibility of not being able to put the swing on they need to be their best.

Honest question here and I really would like your input. I've been going through the test drive on these irons and have hit every steel/stiff shaft combination they have. I too, love the look and feel of these irons. So the question is: Do these irons contribute to your percentage of "worst played shots" by being just a bit too demanding? That's the question on which I'm struggling with these. I have hit some of the most memorable, accurate and long shots with both the 5 and 7 irons. Shots where I go, "Wow! Did I just do that?" But there have also been a high percentage of shanks and hooks. Swing faults obviously, but that's my game. Just wondering how you balance the great look and feel of these with the possibility of not being able to put the swing on they need to be their best.

To answer your question, no. They don't add to any bad shots, and I've actually had my overall best iron striking day this season with them so far. I can shank a SGI iron just as easily, since it's a swing flaw. These irons have such a good weight to them that I'd actual attribute the opposite for them, and in terms of CB/Player irons, these to me seem to have the best forgiveness out of any I have tried. They also feel so good weight wise that I seem to have much better tempo with them. My poor shots the other day were 100% due to me having bad hand position on my downswing, which is something I struggle with no matter what irons I use. On typical mishits where I hit it fine, but leave the face a little open, they still get the distance I need/expect out of them. I personally don't feel they are too demanding for my game and never worry about needing a great swing. I just play my game and they perform as needed from everything I've seen so far.

Thanks for that response. I also think I'm developing a bad hand position in my downswing which is contributing to the shanks. (It's not just these clubs that are a problem as I'm doing it with my gamer irons too). I did well with the J15CBs out on the course, but my range sessions were a bit trying. Still pondering whether they're completely right for me, but I certainly applaud Bridgestone on the design as well as their test drive program. It's a great way to put these in the hands of golfers to go out and give 'em a try.

For those that are playing these with the stock DG Pro shafts, how have the results been with the 8i-PW? Are you noticing lower trajectory as is the design of these? Any issues holding the green?

Thanks for that response. I also think I'm developing a bad hand position in my downswing which is contributing to the shanks. (It's not just these clubs that are a problem as I'm doing it with my gamer irons too). I did well with the J15CBs out on the course, but my range sessions were a bit trying. Still pondering whether they're completely right for me, but I certainly applaud Bridgestone on the design as well as their test drive program. It's a great way to put these in the hands of golfers to go out and give 'em a try.

For those that are playing these with the stock DG Pro shafts, how have the results been with the 8i-PW? Are you noticing lower trajectory as is the design of these? Any issues holding the green?

I play the stock DG pro S300's and I see no issue in the least bit for 8-PW. I tend to get a high ball flight anyway, but I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary with the short irons.

And IMO, if you're not 100% confident with a set of irons, you're not going to be able to play your best with them. If you want them, go with them, but if it causes any doubt then I wouldn't play them. Just my opinion of course though

These are a fantastic set of irons and I enjoyed all of the time I spent with them, but they are hardly forgiving in any capacity. If someone was looking for a forged iron with a bit of forgiveness, I would point them in the direction of the J15DF irons.

These are a fantastic set of irons and I enjoyed all of the time I spent with them, but they are hardly forgiving in any capacity. If someone was looking for a forged iron with a bit of forgiveness, I would point them in the direction of the J15DF irons.

I think it's all relative. IMO compared to other companies CB offerings, the J15 CB's are pretty forgiving. They aren't going to be as forgiving as other types of irons, but in terms of players cavity back offerings I find them plenty forgiving from the distances I am seeing on mishits.

I think it's all relative. IMO compared to other companies CB offerings, the J15 CB's are pretty forgiving. They aren't going to be as forgiving as other types of irons, but in terms of players cavity back offerings I find them plenty forgiving from the distances I am seeing on mishits.

I second this. I love my set and couldn't imagine playing anything else after hitting tons of irons from SGI to MB's on a monitor.

That being said, I'm sure an SGI will give you considerably more consistency in distance from mis-hits across the face.

My local golf store has a 90 day satisfaction guarantee program, yesterday was the 90th day with my Srixon Z745 w/ctaper lites and I was bored with them. I didn't like the turf interaction and didn't feel like I could swing at my normal tempo, which is hard and fast without fear of losing the ball left. I was originally going to re-shaft them but then started reading about how people like the DG Pro and how the J15 CB was actually quite forgiving. I picked up a set of J15 CB with DG Pro S300 last night and headed straight to the range. I couldn't be happier, the J15 are longer, more forgiving, feel better, LOOK WAY BETTER and I can swing as hard as I want and still hit it straight. Hell I even like the yellow grip....

61BB0389-16B6-4DC1-9CC7-22025C85A7D9_zpsynuyuxbp.jpg

Was playing with a group of 8 animals a week or so ago and came up to a par 3 and didn't have the right club with me. Didn't want to go back to the cart. Just so happens...theballguy also plays these irons with the DGPro's in them. I asked if I could use his iron and he obliged. The stock shaft in these are outstanding, but launch/spin to much for me. The slight breeze was into our face a bit and I knew this would take on a higher flight...and it did. Playing a draw I wasn't sure how the spin/launch would do in the breeze. It performed great and landed 6 ft and rolled back towards the pin. I actually made the putt as well...so bonus.

For a club of this design...I too believe they are more forgiving than a lot of people tend to say. Not GI...but I don't know another head similar in characteristic that comes close to what these do. Just feel so good when given a good motion and the not so good don't seem to penalize terribly.

These were just outstanding this past weekend at #THPLegacy. I have said it before but Bridgestone has knocked it out of the park with these irons. My old gamer set had Nippon Super Peening Blues in them. However after Legacy I am sticking with the new set with CTapers. It is one of the best feeling combos I have hit in a long time. They have a surprising amount of forgiveness for their size and imo are one of the nicest looking irons out there

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

100% agree Ron. You and I talked about this a bit on Saturday but these are such good irons. The whole "forgiveness" debate on these has been worn out, but I'll add that having played both the CB and the DF irons from the J15 line I personally have not noticed one being any more or less punishing than the other.

They look amazing, feel incredibly soft and are a treat to play.

I would imagine the difference is a bit marginal, but I'm willing to bet there is a slight improvement of ball speed across the face of the DFs. Just by design elements alone.

In either case, I think the CBs profile incredibly well for their design. Wide sole without visually showing it. Softer leading edge to avoid monster unintentional divots. Nice amount of material behind the contact zone to give that great impact response. Just a really strong set of irons for their profile.

Totally agree. A really pleasing profile to look down at when you're over the ball. Bridgestone really got these right in a big way.

That's no joke. Such great, great irons.

I got the chance to take some swings with these this weekend and my love for them continues. The feel is fantastic and they are beautiful. If my game was a touch better I would have a set, I imagine I could game the 8, 9, and PW but that's it.

Back