What golf stuff did you learn today?

I learned that even though I attempt to have good technique, that guys that play once a year or have no clue how to play golf, can easily hit the same club 20 yards past me.

I really need a lesson to figure out what is holding me back.
I feel this but in a different way.
I practice and watch golf all the time but I can't shake having the ugliest swing of all time. Then some dude who's never played (my brother) grabs my 5 wood and hits it off the deck 210 with a nice traditional move.
Prick haha.

What I learned: right when you think you're just a few small improvements from having it together, it often falls apart. :(

I learned that my picture is next to the word erratic in the dictionary.

I learned that I have a lot of work to do

I need to take more divots.

I suck at putting

I learned I can birdie an opening hole par 5 hung over. Who knew? Probably won't do that again tho

What I learned: right when you think you're just a few small improvements from having it together, it often falls apart. :(

THIS! I never seem to have all parts workings decently in a round. I also have moments of brilliance followed by an embarrassing attempt at the follow up shot.

I learned today that it takes me several HOLES to correct a swing flaw that shows up on the course. I'm pretty good at making corrections on the range when I can take the same shot a few times and find my groove. It took me three today to figure out something I changed (in a bad way) in my setup with my irons. It took me 9 holes to realize I wasn't making a full shoulder turn. My score reflected this...

Learned I have a similar looking hitch in my swing to Kenny Perry, at least according to a guy on the range. I do pause at the too, and make a conscious transition to my left side. When I do I am fine. When I don't, bad things happen.

Also learned for the 1000th time, stop practicing while you are still striking the ball well and before fatigue starts to set in. 50 good swings where you repeat a feel and make good contact is better than 60 good swings, followed by 100 where you are trying to find that feel again and struggle.

If I swing shallow to steep, while pinning my left arm to my chest I will hit my driver straight or draw, not once to the right. First time in a while I felt confident on the tee for 18 holes ( Hit 9/14 fairways).

I learned that hitting it a long way matters little if you can't control it. Played match play at a very tight course. I hit the ball 20-30 yds past the guy, albeit often left into the trees. He just smiled, and with the most simple, Stricker-like swing, just fairway'd and green'd me to death. Absolutely kicked my a**.

I learned today when playing into the wind, swinging hard does way more harm than good. Threw away what could of been a great round on a 5 hole stretch that played into the wind. Tried to step on my driver and the result was 3 holes I had to punch out and one really weak, high fade that went no where (other hole was a par 3). I had such a nice tempo before that stretch was was hitting my driver beautifully. After this stretch when I started playing downwind I started swinging smoothly again and was hitting it beautifully. Overall; 9 out of 10 fairways when swinging under control, 0 out of 4 fairways with 3 punch outs when going after it with my driver. I get out of sync and wind up losing significant yards and accuracy when going after it with my driver. Tempo, tempo, tempo. Can't let the wind change my swing.

I've learned over the past couple of weeks that spending months working towards a goal and meeting that goal is one of the best golf experiences of my life. The process does; however, leave a whole lot of depressing thoughts about the journey being over and the people not being near.

Lightly grasping a wedge does wonders on short-med pitch/chips.

I've learned over the past couple of weeks that spending months working towards a goal and meeting that goal is one of the best golf experiences of my life. The process does; however, leave a whole lot of depressing thoughts about the journey being over and the people not being near.

Lightly grasping a wedge does wonders on short-med pitch/chips.
Work hard you did! I can vouch for that :)

I learned that there appears to be a strong random element in the golf swing that is beyond the ability of normal humans to control.

Read a tip thread today by Tadashu70 regarding turning not sliding. Something I've know but sliding creeps into my swing from time to time and has recently. The words in the thread "turn behind the ball" will be a new key for me. I went out and applied it tonight. WOW is all I can say.

Read a tip thread today by Tadashu70 regarding turning not sliding. Something I've know but sliding creeps into my swing from time to time and has recently. The words in the thread "turn behind the ball" will be a new key for me. I went out and applied it tonight. WOW is all I can say.

You and me both today. That Panda of ours knows his stuff.

Took into account Panda's words which finally sunk in around hole 7. that along with the littles of details matter so much in golf. I'd been snap hooking a lot of my drives and I finally got to the point on a hole where drives were killing me and I had to really access what i was doing. I looked at my feet, accessed my backswing and couldn't figure it out. I finally look down at my hands and see over time I've takes a stronger and stronger grip. Turned my right hand inside to see my knuckles instead of my palm, and bombs away.

Once i felt comfortable 2 holes of hitting it; I cut a chile that dog legged right (320 total yards only 270 drive if you went over trees and water and such); swung with confidence and was a chip away from the green for Eagle.

It's really compelling how much the smallest details matter in this sport for me at least. The grip change translated over to my iron play which has been a little erratic as of late as well. Started getting consistent contact for a really inspiring back 9.

Actually learned it yesterday, but posting it today. Went through a large bucket on the range focusing almost exclusively on clearing hips. Biggest swing improvement of the summer.

It's eye opening how much force is generated at impact when you really hit down on the ball. Less effort and more results. Has really simplified my swing too.

I learned that a great many are pretty nonchalant with the rules.

I learned that playing with confidence and not fear will change the way you hit the ball and the results.

I learned you can play someone else's ball even if it is clearly marked...or just pocket it. Both are apparently OK.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I keep learning that the mental and strategic aspects of this game are equally as important (maybe more) as the physical.

Back