Which would you play?

We don't know what club is designed for extreme distance in this senario it would be relative to the individual golfer.

Club #1 spins less. This equals distance club. Again, not saying I wouldn't take a closer look at Club #1 because I do like a high trajectory, but I've played high trajectory distance clubs last year (Altitudes) and as much as I love those clubs, the distance control was not even close to my 962 DCI's. I'm going Ping G30 this year with weakened lofts in my mid to long irons and TT XP95 shafts for higher launch. I'm always looking out for the perfect balance of forgiveness (MOI), trajectory (HIGH) and distance control (SPIN). I don't hit as many greens as I'd like to, but when I do, that ball better stop :)

Gaps are made to be filled.
And frankly are not hard to be filled.
Rationalization is easy, but why stop at hitting a PW 130 or so. Why not weaken everything so that you have a PW to a solid 100? Seems no reason not to. Or no more of a reason against more distance.
Well I never really take lofts into account when I look at clubs anyway no reason to because we all know that many other things can attribute to more/less distance. As of right now I find myself needing more options 100-160 than I do for something 175-225 which is where my rationalization is. But again that said if I could fill that gap the extra distance would create then it would a no brainier.

Considering that my current 7 iron only goes 140y give or take, I'll take option #1. A carry of 175. I could use that.

Club #1 spins less. This equals distance club. Again, not saying I wouldn't take a closer look at Club #1 because I do like a high trajectory, but I've played high trajectory distance clubs last year (Altitudes) and as much as I love those clubs, the distance control was not even close to my 962 DCI's. I'm going Ping G30 this year with weakened lofts in my mid to long irons and TT XP95 shafts for higher launch. I'm always looking out for the perfect balance of forgiveness (MOI), trajectory (HIGH) and distance control (SPIN). I don't hit as many greens as I'd like to, but when I do, that ball better stop :)

Spins less does not necessarily mean distance club. Some of this depends on your game, but a steeper descent angle due to higher peak height can do every bit to get a ball close to its pitch mark as increased spin, IMO. For my game, I'll take higher peak and steeper descent angle over more spin any day.

Club 1 for me. Don't see a reason not to play that one.

Spins less does not necessarily mean distance club. Some of this depends on your game, but a steeper descent angle due to higher peak height can do every bit to get a ball close to its pitch mark as increased spin, IMO. For my game, I'll take higher peak and steeper descent angle over more spin any day.

You still don't get what I'm saying, I WANT BOTH!! :)

Club 1 for the higher launch

Freddie Jacobson plays a distant iron. He must be really off a lot though with all those inconsistent distances.

Freddie Jacobson plays a distant iron. He must be really off a lot though with all those inconsistent distances.

Could be. He's already missed 2 cuts this year.

Could be. He's already missed 2 cuts this year.

Im assuming that was sarcasm right? The guy is one of the best 100 ball strikers in the world.

Club 1 wins.

Club 1.

But I have a feeling we may be surprised at the two brands/style of club when and if they are revealed.

Man I missed a lot today!

I'll take club 1.

Club 1 assuming it was forged :)

Club 1 assuming it was forged :)
c18d2d63aacfe1f4082b03600fa9838c.jpg

Can't answer the question without the most important piece of data missing... What do they look like?

Assuming the same, you'd have to just at be looking to make an argument with any choice other than club 1

With all things being equal, club #1 & I'll adjust to gaps as needed.

I guess it would depend on whether I needed a club for 165 yards or 175 yards.

Im assuming that was sarcasm right? The guy is one of the best 100 ball strikers in the world.

Is or was? 7 missed cuts in 2014? 2 missed cuts already in 2015? You consider that a model of consistency? I don't. I love Freddie. Seems like a class act and a great guy. I attribute his lack of consistency due to the fact he's in his 40's now, but I did not bring him up, or his choice of clubs.

Is or was? 7 missed cuts in 2014? 2 missed cuts already in 2015? You consider that a model of consistency? I don't. I love Freddie. Seems like a class act and a great guy. I attribute his lack of consistency due to the fact he's in his 40's now, but I did not bring him up, or his choice of clubs.

Wow, just assumed that must have been sarcasm. He is one of the top 100 best ball strikers in the world. Missing 7 cuts doesnt change that. Guessing you have not seen him play much to see what has happened which has been his driving and putting. Being one of the top 100 essentially means the PGA Tour.

If you think his irons are holding back, while laughable, all the power to you. Tiger Woods plays musclebacks, so clearly that must be his issue with distance control as well. Oh jeez. Next I will hear how graphite shafts cant offer the same level of consistency either....:act-up:

Last edited:
I would cautiously take the added distance most likely. Cautiously because with the added distancing from that iron it seems that the gapping would become narrowed at the top and expanded at the bottom.

I did. He plays a distance iron and plays professional golf, yet there multiple posts in this thread referring to the lack distance consistency from said type of irons. If we look at it as a model here, should we look at the professional golfer with a repeatable swing or an amateur golfer (majority of us here, including myself) who don't necessarily have the most consistent swings when looking if an iron produces consistent distances?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something in the first post but I can't really come up with a single scenario where club 2 is a good idea.

Maybe that's the point?

Back