Callaway XR Driver Review Thread

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited to get this club in hands and get a professional fitting done by the experts, however, I'm really just not a fan of the steps on the crown. Just looks weird to my eye.

With that said though performance far outweighs the looks and I'm incredibly excited!

I honestly don't even see the steps on the crown anymore at address. The flat black does a good job of hiding them.

I'm the same way, didn't notice them at all last round. I spend more time and attention looking at the ball than the club head anyway.

I took 10-15 swings with it at Golfsmith a month or two ago, and after looking at it for a few minutes I forgot they were there.

Coming from the turbulators the speed step crown is more subtle. I think it helps me to line up the ball better too.

I think I may have said this before, but I will definitely echo ASN21's thoughts on the alignment aid. The speed step/chevron combo does an excellent job framing the ball. You can also count me in the group that really doesn't notice the speed steps at all (apart from aligning the ball).
I agree with all. The raised speed step is not even anything you notice at address. Definitely not a distraction at all

Ok, as promised I hit a local simulator and did some testing at lunch today. First, some brief background to give context. I am not the longest hitter in the world, but not the shortest either. My best guess is that my driver swing speed is somewhere in the 100-105 range on average. I have a relatively flat swing and I've been told that I have a smooth tempo. I tend to hit my best drives on the course, which I presume is because I'm more in rhythm and not trying to repeatedly hit it harder and harder with counterproductive results as I have a tendency to do on the range sometimes (note, that is not to put the Internet golfer spin on the numbers that follow; I'm not saying that I get out on the course and carry it 290 all the sudden).

I mixed and matched the X2Hot Pro with a D+ Whiteboard that I had been gaming since the fall with the XR with the LZ 6.0 I'm currently testing and gaming and will be gaming for #TheKing. I hit 7-8 drives with each combination. I felt like my swing today was decent for the most part - probably not my very best, but not terrible either. Here are the results with a little bit of commentary thrown in:

X2Hot Pro 8.5* with D+ Whiteboard:

Avg. Launch Angle: 15
High Launch Angle: 17
Low Launch Angle: 13

Avg. Spin: 3450
High Spin: 3858
Low Spin: 2946

Avg. Carry: 255.3
Low Carry: 252
High Carry: 258

As you can see, I'm very consistent with this driver, which is why I've been so happy with it. I almost always hit it about the same distance and my dispersion was great today too. Easily the best of all the combos dispersion-wise.

XR 9* with LZ 6.0

Avg. Launch Angle: 17
High Launch Angle: 20
Low Launch Angle: 14

Avg. Spin: 4061
High Spin: 5552
Low Spin: 3327

Avg. Carry: 242
High Carry: 260
Low Carry: 224

As you can see, my very best shot with this was a bit longer than the X2Hot Pro, but I was all over the map. Of the 7-8 I hit, I had 3 balloon shots. Directly comparing the two shafts, I definitely got the real feel of the LZ for the first time today and it's pretty cool. The great shots feel great, but it is definitely a large adjustment for me. The problem right now is that the swings where I run into the balloon shots don't feel any different than good swings so I'm having a tough time figuring out how to get more consistent. Overall, you can see that this launches higher and spins a lot more for me. Dispersion was ok, but not great.

XR adjusted to 8* with LZ 6.0

Avg. Launch Angle: 18
High Launch Angle: 21
Low Launch Angle: 16

Avg. Spin: 3777
High Spin: 4186
Low Spin: 3411

Avg. Carry: 243
High Carry: 253
Low Carry: 227

Take these numbers with a grain of salt because they were probably my worst swings of the session. I saw multiple balloon shots and no great strikes. The verdict is still out on whether lofting down is going to be beneficial for me because it certainly didn't eliminate the high, short shot. Dispersion was not good, but neither were my swings.

XR 9* with D+ Whiteboard:

Avg. Launch Angle: 17
High Launch Angle: 21
Low Launch Angle: 13

Avg. Spin: 3548
High Spin: 4126
Low Spin: 2905

Avg. Carry: 246
High Carry: 254
Low Carry: 231

I didn't hate this combination, but I didn't love it either. With heavier shaft and the very lightweight XR head, I felt like I had trouble feeling the club head. This combo confirmed that, for me, the XR head is definitely higher launching, though the Whiteboard helps get the spin down some. Dispersion was better with this combination. Not nearly as good as the X2Hot Pro/Whiteboard combo, but probably slightly better than the XR/LZ combo.

X2 Hot Pro 8.5* with LZ 6.0

Avg. Launch Angle: 16
High Launch Angle: 18
Low Launch Angle: 14

Avg. Spin: 3906
High Spin: 6003
Low Spin: 3136

Avg. Carry: 242
High Carry: 256
Low Carry: 218

I did not get along with this combo at all. It confirmed a few things for me though. First, the X2Hot Pro head is very noticeably heavier than the XR head. Feeling the clubhead was not a problem. Second, the X2Hot Pro is a lower launching head for me and the LZ increases spin for me. The dispersion with this combination was abysmal and, as you can see, I hit a few very spinny, very high, very short shots.

Conclusions:

Right now, I still have some work to do to get comfortable with the XR/LZ combo. I can clearly get good results with that combo, as it had the longest carrying drive of the day for me. But I'm not at all consistent with it. Basically, I think coming from a heavy head/heavy shaft combo, to a light head/light shaft combo is just a bit of a struggle for me right now, particularly when you factor in the unique properties of the LZ. I will say that I think Callaway did a phenomenal job pairing the shaft and the head though. Because the LZ very obviously would not work for me in the X2Hot Pro head and it wasn't like I found instant success with the Whiteboard in the XR head. Obviously, everyone's swing is different, but hopefully these results are helpful to some. While it may just be that a heavier shaft/heavier head combo works a little better for my swing and my tempo, I really do think that I can game the XR/LZ successfully. I just need to figure out a way to get more consistent with it. I'm hoping to get out on the course at least once this weekend, so I'll report back.

I didn't read the whole thread so if this has been discussed, i'm sorry.....How are other handling the swing weight issue when playing this club at shorter length? Any solution besides lead tape?

Curious if any of the XR testers have hit the 815 and what comparisons can be offered? Thanks

Curious if any of the XR testers have hit the 815 and what comparisons can be offered? Thanks
I've hit the 815 and the xr is a touch, by that I mean very little, higher spinning, and a bit higher launching. I am gaming the xr at 8 degrees compared to 9.5 on 815. Major difference IMO is sound. Xr sounds more hollow, perhaps more tin can like when compared to 815. Not at all unpleasant but different. Both heads are pretty forgiving, Xr being little more forgiving toward the heel for my swing.

I've hit the 815 and the xr is a touch, by that I mean very little, higher spinning, and a bit higher launching. I am gaming the xr at 8 degrees compared to 9.5 on 815. Major difference IMO is sound. Xr sounds more hollow, perhaps more tin can like when compared to 815. Not at all unpleasant but different. Both heads are pretty forgiving, Xr being little more forgiving toward the heel for my swing.

I appreciate the feedback, have yet to hit the XR driver though I'm a big fan of the XR FW's.

I didn't read the whole thread so if this has been discussed, i'm sorry.....How are other handling the swing weight issue when playing this club at shorter length? Any solution besides lead tape?

This is also on my mind. Will SW be adjusted from Cally when ordered shorter ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate the feedback, have yet to hit the XR driver though I'm a big fan of the XR FW's.

If you like the fairways, you are going to really like the driver.

This is also on my mind. Will SW be adjusted from Cally when ordered shorter ?

Yes it will be.

Thanks. Going to a club fitter on Saturday and if XR performs better then my current, there will be some deals done.

Interesting discussion with UST today about this driver head. Its not a high spin head according to him after fairly detailed testing. Low and deep CG makes the ball flight higher without much more spin. He showed me some pretty interesting numbers done and I have to say it was fairly eye opening. Certainly not as low as some forward CG models, but definitely not as high as I think many thought. Their testing also showed how its one of the most forgiving heads to come out this year.

Pretty excited to see guys take a rip at it tomorrow at the UST event.

Great info Josh.

Interesting discussion with UST today about this driver head. Its not a high spin head according to him after fairly detailed testing. Low and deep CG makes the ball flight higher without much more spin. He showed me some pretty interesting numbers done and I have to say it was fairly eye opening. Certainly not as low as some forward CG models, but definitely not as high as I think many thought. Their testing also showed how its one of the most forgiving heads to come out this year.

Interesting on the spin. Happy to hear experts weigh in on it.

That being said, most forgiving does not surprise me in the least.

Sounds about right. Nice to see experts agree with me lol. Maximum forgiveness and high launch

That is exactly what I thought about it, it was launching higher than anything else I hit, but the spin was lower than many of the others I hit. Mid spin at the highest to me.

Every once in a while someone super smart says something that agrees with my thoughts. It makes me feel smart, but in reality is probably just lucky on my part.

That's pretty consistent with how it has been for me so far. Higher launching, but not necessarily higher spinning. In the testing I did yesterday, spin with the XR head was pretty comparable to the X2Hot Pro when both were paired with the same shaft. The LZ was higher spinning than the Whiteboard, but the heads seemed to be about the same.

Sure this has already been asked, but don't have time to go through 28 pages, how does this driver compare to the V Series? Pretty similar? Has anyone made the switch.

Thanks for that JB. Can't wait to get on a LM with this next week.

So, I watched 9 people take cuts with this one today, all different swings, speeds, AoA, etc.

This is NOT "spinny" head. We saw spin from 3500 down to 1800 with the XR. I think waaaaaay too many people forget this is a higher launching head and don't take that into account, also, remember a heel or heel low miss in any driver is going to spin more, just like high on the face spins less.

Just food for thought from today.

Seeing everyone hit this driver today there is no "marketing bs" going on with Callaway, it's a faster, more forgiving head. Having a great shaft in it doesn't hurt either

Having seen the ball flight on the range from a pretty bad miss on the toe I agree. If I didn't feel it at impact or saw the marks on the club face u would have assumed it wasn't a miss hit. The ball still went pretty damn far.

Seeing everyone hit this driver today there is no "marketing bs" going on with Callaway, it's a faster, more forgiving head. Having a great shaft in it doesn't hurt either
Speed jumps for EVERY SINGLE PERSON .

Speed jumps for EVERY SINGLE PERSON .
That's pretty darn impressive. Will be interesting to see if dispersion is impacted by the increased speed. With the uber forgiving head, I'm thinking probably not much.

I got this out to the course again today in about 30 mph winds. I tried to focus a little bit more on maintaining tempo and did not have a single balloon shot. This wants to go very very straight. I missed two fairways all day and both were just quick swings resulting in pulls. The XR was held its line great in the wind and I got good distance even when I hit it relatively high into the wind. It was really forgiving too - I saw minimal distance loss even when the contact wasn't dead center. It's taken me a few sessions to get used to the feel of the LZ, but I was really happy with the results today.

That's pretty darn impressive. Will be interesting to see if dispersion is impacted by the increased speed. With the uber forgiving head, I'm thinking probably not much.

On the track man I believe every person had MUCH better dispersion as well.

The trend continues for me with this driver. I hit some absolute monsters with this driver. Then I turn around and hit two way misses. Having a hard time getting some consistency. Potential is absolutely there. 400yd par playing two clubs downwind, hit the first one way left ob (playing a cut and double crossed) then take the next ball and proceed to drive it pin high left of green. Yes you read that right. 400yd par 4, pin high just off the green. Yes it was very windy :). Then on a 450ish par 5, again playing down wind, had 70 yds to the pin on my approach. When I can get path and face aligned properly and make solid contact, it goes a mile. But right now I'm having issues either hitting it a mile off line or smother hooking it.

Back