What shot are you afraid to hit?

Bunker shots. Every time I'm in one bad thoughts creep into my head depending on where there is additional trouble. Sometimes I'm telling myself don't skull it OB and I leave it in the bunker. Other times I'm telling myself not to leave it in the bunker and I skull it over the green. I'd say around 75% of my bunker shots didn't wind up on the green last year. One of my biggest goals for this season is to get over that mental hurdle.

Tee shots on unforgiving holes with nothing but really horrible things outside the rough. I am usually OK at scrambling out of trouble, but if I look out and see nothing but complete wasteland, I tend to tighten up.

Any hole with water in play, even if you'd have to hit a pretty bad shot to find it, gets in my head.

Half wedge and in. Almost a guaranteed shank. Working on path and especially takeaway has helped with this at the range and on the monitor (I'm now comfortable coming in cold and warming up with these) but I won't feel good until I hit one on course.

Any pitch shot between 35 and 65 yards unless it's from a bunker or I have a fluffy lie. If you find me facing that shot on the course I've made a terrible mistake. It's only happened once or twice this year in 19 rounds.

Lately it is any shot that requires that I must elevate the ball. I am sure to hit it thin or top it.

#Team441 for the win in Legacy. #IAmWithHarry

30-80 yards in. Trying to work on hitting half wedge shots, but man is it ugly sometimes.

Heck I got em all. I ain't scared of none of em. Knock down left handed 20 yard draw around a red oak tree, piece of cake. :bomb:

Anytime I am faced with having to hit a fade it scares me to death. I can draw, hook, snap hook on demand with the best of them but I just don't have an intentional left to right shot shape in my bag, especially with irons. I have a bout a 50 - 50 success rate with fading my woods when I really try to but that drops to about 5% with irons.

Chips/Pitches. Up until last year my short game was my saving grace. Now I'm so worried about hitting it long that I've actually taken 3-4 strokes to go 15 feet. It's 110% mental. On the range I'm fine, on the course where it counts not so much.

Trying to hit a fade with the ball even slightly above my feet. Especially with 6i & up.

I just know I'll stick the toe in the ground.
Why not just go with the shot the course gives you. Right to left is the play

The 4 foot sliding putt that you have to pace perfectly to make.

And any tee shot that you have to draw to be in a good position.

Pitch shot over a bunker onto the green. Always topping them and getting in the bunker.

Driver most of the time, or any shot with the ball below my feet. I know for the most part what I need to do, I just mentally block myself by worrying about it too much.

Lately it is any shot that requires that I must elevate the ball. I am sure to hit it thin or top it.

Are you talking about over something or just in general?

Any tee shot with a wood. I'm afraid of blocking it to the right and getting a penalty. It's taken a big toll on my confidence off the tee for some time now. Though it's improving. I had only 1 penalty in my last round, and although it was off the tee it was into a hazard and I found the ball. I still took a drop because of standing water.

Are you talking about over something or just in general?
Over something such as water or heavy brush. About half the time I hit a low running shot and it is sure to appear if there is an obstacle in front of me.

Downhill putts with lots of break. The putts that are 3-6 feet really get inside my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything that is extremely above or below my feet. I am OK if it is a small amount but to much and I pretty much have no confidence over the ball.

Eagle putts. Doesn't happen often but then they do I can hear my knees shaking

Long iron shots with the ball below my feet and 40 yd pitch shots. Both give me issues, one I hit fat the other is a distance I can't seem to figure out.

Anything under 10 feet from the green when the pin is up. I can hit that shot 90/100 times on the practice range but I inevitably stop accelerating and try and scoop it, negating any effects of the club bounce and hit it all of about 18 inches.

Two shots specifically:
1 - Anything requiring a draw off the tee with a driver. Absolutely cannot hit one on purpose. I can mangle one with an iron, but no chance with driver.

2 - 170yd - 180yd carry over water into a green. It is the last hole at my old home course. Domed green, so you need to hit and stick to it. At that distance, I can get a bit messed up on approach. Usually end up with a monster fade, leaving me short and either in the water, or in the weeds.

Back