TaylorMade Debuts Outlet Store

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

TaylorMade Golf Company today announced the opening of its first branded outlet store with plans to open additional locations by the end of the calendar year. Ben Sharpe, CEO since June 2014, continues to make strides in strengthening the business strategy for the company. The first location will open in April in Myrtle Beach, SC.

The branded TaylorMade stores will sell previous season’s products from the portfolio of TaylorMade Golf Company brands including: TaylorMade, Adams Golf, adidas Golf and Ashworth. The outlets are designed to elevate the off-price golf shopping experience. The product assortment will consist largely of closeouts and off-season product while offering the most complete assortment of golf products at substantial value to the consumer.

“The outlets are designed to benefit our current retail partners and golfers alike. There has been an influx of product in the marketplace that has moved at a slower pace than expected,” states Ben Sharpe, CEO TaylorMade Golf Company. “The outlets allow us to sell off-season product at a discounted price, while giving our retail partners the ability to set prices on in-season product at sustainable levels."

The outlet stores will be managed in partnership with the adidas parent company and their retail team. With a second location in Livermore, California scheduled to open soon after the first, the team is quickly ramping up the introduction of store rollouts throughout the remainder of the year.

“The retail outlet model will enable our company to more effectively manage distribution of prior generation products while strengthening the position of our brands.” Says David Abeles, President of TaylorMade Golf Company.

TaylorMade Golf Company is a global-leading manufacturer of golf equipment, apparel and footwear. TaylorMade Golf features four leading brands: TaylorMade, the #1 Driver and Irons in Golf,* Adams, the #1 hybrid on Tour*, adidas Golf, a leading provider of athletic apparel and footwear for golf, and Ashworth, a brand synonymous with the game.

Interesting.

But what about the smaller golf shops that are stuck with a few hundred Jet Speeds? Looks like TM found a way to empty their warehouse and recover inventory dollars.

ALl those old fellas heading there in the winter love them some TM, this should work out for them

Since it's in Myrtle, I will probably check it out at some point. Interesting though.

Very interesting, I'll be curious to see what kind of how large the deals actually are.

I think it's a good step for them. They have a pretty big surplus of product out there. Not sure how it will help the local golf shop all that much, but if it's a way for them to get rid of product and for the public to buy gear at good prices then I am all for it.

It makes sense to me, they have GOT to do something with the surplus they have.

But is it bad I sort of picture "Dollar General" type setup here? Everything must go!

This is interesting, though I wonder whether the deals will actually be good or not. My experience with many outlets is that you can typically still find a better price online. But like Mike said, there are a lot of old folks in Myrtle who love them some TM and still don't really online shop, so maybe it will work out nice for them.

Pretty smart way to drain that massive inventory... I'll be in Myrtle in April but I suspect it will be too early for the store to be open.

If not, you better believe I'll be checking it out.

It makes sense to me, they have GOT to do something with the surplus they have.

But is it bad I sort of picture "Dollar General" type setup here? Everything must go!
Will they buy up from the smaller shops? Doubtful.

Doesn't hold much allure for me from an equipment standpoint, but I'd go in and take a look, particularly at the apparel side of things. While there are Adidas outlets, they typically have a smallish selection of golf apparel.

I would buy some scratch and dent speedblades for a song.

very interesting. myrtle beach is probably a good place to start with the amount of golf visitors there.

will be curious to see what they have in stock and what the prices will be.

Like others have mentioned, I'm really curious to see what types of prices we'll see at these outlet stores.

I hope this doesn't mean Taylormade is going to go about their inventory management the same way they have been for the past few years. While this outlet store idea will help them sell some old product, it's not going to fix the problem they created for themselves by having poor inventory management.

I guess I'm not impressed. Are they going to offer bigger discounts than the retail stores trying to offload the old equipment? I don't know the answer to that. This definitely just seems like an 'inventory shifting' maneuver.

I guess at least it makes business sense for them, but I have a hard time believing it will benefit the consumer at all.

~Rock

That really is interesting. I'd love to see those at highway outlet malls, where there's often an Adidas outlet but rarely any golf stuff.

I would be interested from an apparel standpoint, but doubtful club prices for previous year models would be as low as on here or Ebay.

I love going to the Nike/Adidas outlets, but they don't typically have a ton of golf apparel, so that portion is very intriguing.

If they want to discount the heck out of Adidas clothing and shoes I would be spending my money left and right.

Livermore huh...only about 30 mins away from me. Will have to check it out.

I like the approach but Im skeptical on the pricing. Looking forward to checking them out

This really makes sense to me. A way to dump inventory and still recoup some of the money

I know I will check it out when in MB but I will mostly be looking at adidas apparel.

I live close enough to go check it out for their opening.

Cool. Can't wait to visit, especially to see all their Adams gear!

Adidas has a shop in the Tanger Outlets, so I wonder if that's where they're going to go, or if they're going to build a new store. One of them is just down the road from Myrtle Beach National.

ETA: Yep, Tanger Outlet just down the road from MBN. That outlet already gets a lot of my money thanks to Izod (for me) and Coach (for the wife).

Oh and for those folks mentioning "recouping some of their money"

I can promise you that even at the great prices you will see they are not losing money on the transaction, especially on the apparel side.

Back