Cobra Golf Fly-Z Driver Review Thread

Driver felt great when I hit it at the Superstore. Not a real big fan of the bottom. But if it delivers results, I don't really care. Definitely a driver I'm watching.

Early thoughts (don't get too hook/line/sinker on these - it was one session):

-Overall, I liked it - if that matters.
-Shape is very nice at address and the color is glossy and eye catching as expected.
-Feel/Sound reminded me of the Bio - at least in the limited time I hit and with the admission that I haven't hit the Bio in like a year.
-Loft changes didn't really change LA that much for me, but I did see a spin increase in the higher lofts.
-Swing speeds and ball speeds were typical of what I'd expect - as was distance (both carry and total).
-Easy for me to keep relatively straight.
-At least as far as initial observations go, it seemed very forigiving to me. Will delve more into that as I go on.

In all, I didn't see anything that grabbed me and said - THIS IS YOUR DRIVER. At the same time, it appeared to be something I could play without hesitation. Easy to keep in play and comparable distance to what I'd see normally.

Glad someone else sees loft changing spin more than launch angle

Yea, playing it at 9.5° was actually a better solution for me - at least last night. We'll see how it looks over a longer time frame before making any concrete statements though.

Is the shaft the same as the pos they put in the jetspeed? I'm not a massive fan of the red tie in my jetspeed but is light years ahead of the stock shaft.

Looking forward to your review. Thanks for the info

Is the shaft the same as the pos they put in the jetspeed? I'm not a massive fan of the red tie in my jetspeed but is light years ahead of the stock shaft.

No. It's heavier for one.

Another reasonably high launcher. I'm finding that 9.5 is a pretty good spot for me, though I tend to launch high to begin with. Spin isn't that low for me, but it's not high. Nice middleground I suppose.

Sound is that muted kind of crack that the Bio had. I wish it was shorter, but I wish every driver OTR was shorter.

For whatever reason I just can't love it, but it seems to perform well enough. I felt the same way about the Bio though. In reality, I'm not sure I'd be able to differentiate the two if you didn't tell me which one I was hitting.

Another reasonably high launcher. I'm finding that 9.5 is a pretty good spot for me, though I tend to launch high to begin with. Spin isn't that low for me, but it's not high. Nice middleground I suppose.

Sound is that muted kind of crack that the Bio had. I wish it was shorter, but I wish every driver OTR was shorter.

For whatever reason I just can't love it, but it seems to perform well enough. I felt the same way about the Bio though. In reality, I'm not sure I'd be able to differentiate the two if you didn't tell me which one I was hitting.

This is extremely telling to me, I wondered if we would see a significant change in this model or not.

Interesting, from the comments I'm reading in various places it feels like a rebadged bio is a growing consensus.

This is extremely telling to me, I wondered if we would see a significant change in this model or not.

I know there are design differences, but to me it's basically the same golf club. Maybe some of that is influenced by the look and the sound, but I think they perform pretty much the same too.

Hawk - where you put it in reference to the 545?

Ehhh, I don't know man. Not without at least hitting them at the same time or within a reasonable amount of time, which I can't do. If you offered me either I'd take the 545 though.

I'm playing the Fly Z now and felt like I needed to loft down a touch for the same launch but as with anything else, just personal preference.
The sound, to me, is a bit different but it could be due to me hitting it all over the face. I will say that on well stroke drives, reasonably close to the center, the sound is music to me ears and distance is on par if not a tad bit longer than the BiO Cell.

Just some comments... I demo'd this today with the stock S shaft and though I liked the feel off the face I couldn't keep it straight. Even in the draw setting, the ball flight constantly leaked off to the right which I don't particularly like. Probably due to the heel/toe weights, I was much straighter with the BBA 815.

Last edited:
I headed out very shortly for a Driver fitting at Club Champion, this is one I intend on demoing. My unofficial demo with it at GolfSmith this past weekend was very good. Compared head to head with the XR it out performed by 14 yards on average and 23 yards on the longest drive.

I really like the looks of it and it is very confidence inspiring at address. I'll definitely report back with full results.

I'm somewhat surprised this one hasn't had more feedback. The Biocell driver review page was up to 34 pages and this one is better reviewed by some.

Dave

I'm somewhat surprised this one hasn't had more feedback. The Biocell driver review page was up to 34 pages and this one is better reviewed by some.

Dave

Few reasons for that.
1. There are a number of threads with TO discussing the technology in the club and plenty of conversation in those.
2. Big THP Event w/ Cobra Golf next month and plenty of conversation coming.
3. The Bio Cell line was part of a major THP Event last year where 40 golfers were given full staff deals.
4. It has been featured in each of our Live Driver Testings as well.

In fact we have one coming up (along w/ multiple THP Events) in your neck of the woods coming up.

Few reasons for that.
1. There are a number of threads with TO discussing the technology in the club and plenty of conversation in those.
2. Big THP Event w/ Cobra Golf next month and plenty of conversation coming.
3. The Bio Cell line was part of a major THP Event last year where 40 golfers were given full staff deals.
4. It has been featured in each of our Live Driver Testings as well.

In fact we have one coming up (along w/ multiple THP Events) in your neck of the woods coming up.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but as a bit of a site noob how do you know what events there are?

Is everything at this link:
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?68253-2015-THP-Event-Calendar

Dave

Not a dumb question. Yep that's the link.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but as a bit of a site noob how do you know what events there are?

Is everything at this link:
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?68253-2015-THP-Event-Calendar

Dave

Not a dumb question at all. That is the link to the calendar and the Live Driver Testing is not on there, so here is a link to that.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...-Outing-aka-Jucy-Lucy-amp-Friends-May-16-2015

Over 20 drivers, FlightScope for testing, THPers and a great time.

Hit a flyz yesterday, it could easily end up in the bag this year, really nice.

I bought a Fly-Z with stock shaft in S-flex last Friday and hit it at the range today. So far I am very impressed. I picked the Fly-Z after demo'ing a few drivers (XR, G30, and the Fly-Z) to replace a TaylorMade Aeroburner (stock shaft in R-flex) that I wasn't getting along with. I would rank them as: Fly-Z > XR > G30 > Aeroburner. I really wanted to like the XR because I had just finished getting fitted for XR Pro irons (not yet ordered them though) when I moved on to drivers. I hit the XR ok, but I felt indifferent about it. When I hit the Fly-Z, I immediately like it.

Compared to those other drivers, I felt like the Fly-Z just fit my swing better. I'm not sure how to explain it but I just felt more "connected" with the Fly-Z's head through the shaft, and that resulted in me hitting it better on the sim. I like the "clack" of the Fly-Z at impact. I hated the "THHHWWAACCKKKK" of the Aeroburner (it felt and sounded like two 2x4 wood blocks separated by their speed slot were smacking together). At the range today, I liked the high, piercing trajectory and may try adjusting the neck down to 9.5* from 10.5* just to see. The Aeroburner (also 10.5*) launched way too high too fast so much so that I often would lose sight of it in the sky. By the end of my range session, I was able to get into a nice groove of consistently straight and consistently long (for me) drives. In the month or so of owning the Aeroburner, I just wasn't able to get into such a groove. I could hit it well at times, but not consistently. I can't wait until I can get the Fly-Z out on the course!

I just picked this driver up. I have been demoing drivers for 2 months and haven't pulled the trigger. It was between this driver the R15 the XR and the titleist 915.

I wont lie this club wasnt the longest but as far as consistent it was leaps and bounds over every driver i hit. My local mom and pop golf shop let me borrow all the drivers for 3 days a piece and I was impressed with the Fly Z.

I was in the fairway or first cut most drives and my worst drive was 220. It feels like tthe entire clubface is the sweet spot. I really wanted the R15 because i loved my R1 but i was spraying balls all over the place. Outside of a couple 280-290 drives i was finding trouble.

In my test rounds i shot my best scores on 2 courses i never break 90 on. And i was flirting with breaking 80 both times.

Its funny because when i was buying it one of the shops customer asked me what i liked about the driver and the best thing i could say was overall consistent best driver out there. He laughed and said that's not going to help them sell more. When i was walking out he was on the launch monitor with one lol.

I won this driver at a scramble a few weeks ago. I got a stiff shaft (stock stiff), put a normal grip +3 wraps on it, and finally got it out to play.
All I can say, is "WOW"!
When this driver is hit on the club face, flight is great - low to mid flight, great distance (at least 260 yds, multiple 300+ yd drives over 4 rounds), and the forgiveness is terrific! My ball flight tends to be a fade, slice miss. This driver fades a touch, but I had a bunch of drives that actually went straight, exactly where I was aimed (which does not happen often).
I really like this driver - it will be my gamer for the future! Could not be happier!

Hit 5 shots on the range with this and love the flight and reaction off the face. Very impressive driver.

Nice win spivey and impressive drives. You bringing this to Pitt?

Back