Rankings - 1 Year Ago

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Crazy how much change there has been in a single year. Especially considering how the rankings are calculated.

1 Tiger Woods
2 Adam Scott
3 Henrik Stenson
4 Bubba Watson
5 Matt Kuchar
6 Jason Day
7 Jordan Spieth
8 Phil Mickelson
9 Sergio Garcia
10 Justin Rose

Today's rankings.

Rory McIlroy
Jordan Spieth
Henrik Stenson
Bubba Watson
Jim Furyk
Justin Rose
Jason Day
Dustin Johnson
Adam Scott
Sergio Garcia

Its weird to think about still that then some people actually thought Rory was "done" all because of a gear change.

Can someone tell me why Sergio is in the top 10 of anything?

3 missing entirely that's crazy.

• Admin

He has 4-5 2nd place finishes in the last 2 years. I think he has more top 10s in the last 2 years than Jason Day honestly. I know Day has 2 wins however. The rankings are terrible.

Goes to show how consistent some of the guys like Bubba, Day, Scott and Rose have been. That's impressive, it'll be interesting to see that ranking a year from now as well. Any guesses as to the top 3? I'd have to guess Rory, Spieth, DJ in now particular order.

He has 4-5 2nd place finishes in the last 2 years. I think he has more top 10s in the last 2 years than Jason Day honestly. I know Day has 2 wins however. The rankings are terrible.

How far back do the rankings go to to determine points?

Its weird to think about still that then some people actually thought Rory was "done" all because of a gear change.

Shows one have dumb the media can be, and how foolish it is to think these top end players can't win with any type of club in the bag

Consistency and big time events.

• Admin

my initial question as well, but the way its figured out (stupid) it makes sense

Sergio has been playing very consistent on the European Tour. Rory seemed to be going through a lot with his last relationship and now that his focus is back on golf he is killing it on tour. Love Furyk getting that win and hope he can keep the momentum throughout the year.

I love seeing Furyk in the top 10.

Stenson and Bubba bucking the trend. Holding firm at 3 and 4.

always fun to look at how things change from year to year.

As soon as I think I'm surprised Stenson is at 3, he does something again. Hopefully he plays well this weekend.

Stenson and Bubba still holding down 3 & 4

My take from this is that you can see who is the steady eddy (furyk, kuchar) who are just hanging around week in and week out. And then you can see who won a crap ton of tournaments in the past 12 months (McIlroy and Spieth).

They should just reset the rankings every year. They can have a pre-season rankings, and then let the tournaments play themselves out to determine who is really the best at any given moment. That is what most sports do.

~Rock

Just weird to me that Jimmy Walker is on the outside looking in.
Shows how screwed up the rankings are.

Just weird to me that Jimmy Walker is on the outside looking in.
Shows how screwed up the rankings are.

Dude has been stellar consistent and won several times but apparently at the wrong events.

How does a euro event with few players from inside the top 50 worldwide get so many points? I know there are some stellar players but only see a couple at wgc events that make any type of run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's interesting, however it shows how the "younger" players are really starting to make a name and stick around more. With the exception of Furyk, and Sergio.

Some people think Jim is 'young.' Of course, those people tend to be older.

I hadn't thought about Walker. Yea, he's one more than a few tournaments in the past 18 months or so, you'd think he'd be up there somewhere.

~Rock

Back