Callaway XR Driver Review Thread

I haven't even scouted the course(s) to know, but eff that dude, I'm banging DRIVER baby!!!!!!
I've scouted them and for me driver is a great play, and with the nerves on high there is no other club I want in my hand than the XR.

I'm hitting the range tonight to dial everything in and have bumped the loft of my XR back up to 10.5* with the goal of max carry. Will confirm tonight whether that's the best setting, but that's at least where my head is at.

I have zero doubt, I can only imagine how great this stay is going to be. I'm literally jumping out of my skin in excitement for this!!!

you'll really enjoy the courses and the resort. Last year when I was there right around this time, the greens were rock hard and fast. I remember playing one of the par 3's it was right around 170 yards, Tomo told me to hit a 7 iron, hit on the front and rolled up nicely to the back pin.

I've been scouting a bit.... Depending on tees I think my XR pro 16* will be making an appearance.

And in all honestly, with the formats, there's some serious strategy that needs to happen!! :)

I've scouted them and for me driver is a great play, and with the nerves on high there is no other club I want in my hand than the XR.

I'm hitting the range tonight to dial everything in and have bumped the loft of my XR back up to 10.5* with the goal of max carry. Will confirm tonight whether that's the best setting, but that's at least where my head is at.

Took this to the range last night for a tune up session before the king. After not hitting it for a week I stopped focusing on my swing and just swung the club and it was good. Changed the setup to N/S which plays at 10.5* and liked the ball flight so will keep it there for now. Distance was showing a consistent 250ish from smooth swings so I'll take that all day. Dispersion was great as well with most of them slightly fading, with a miss of a bit more left to right but manageable. When I get to the first tee, this will be in my hand, I'll take aim left of center, and I know this driver will put me in a fairway.

I was able to hit my new XR head with my Grandaddy shaft, yesterday over lunch. It has been a few weeks since I hit some golf balls, but once I got warmed up it was good.

Knowing the feel of the Alpha 815, and comparing it to the feel of the XR is intriguing to me. The 815 feels more solid off the face. I'm not sure if that has to do with the smaller head, but it just does. The XR has a, for lack of better word, thin tinny feel off the face. A few shot shots that I know I missed though, we not crazy misses. Which tells me the larger cup face and sweet spot help the XR be more forgiving.

The minor misses on the face of the XR are harder to feel. Where with the 815, almost instantly I could tell where I missed on the face, and the XR is harder to tell. That's not a bad thing (IMO) but being able to feel a miss, allows me to know what I need to adjust. With that said, it also keeps bigger misses on the face from being HUGE misses off the fairway, so this is an acceptable trade off for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing my numbers with the XR on the launch monitor, to see if what I saw in December matches up with now.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my first time on the range, and am looking forward to seeing how it preforms on the course.

I threw this one back into the bag yesterday, the plan was hit it a few more times and shoot it down to my boy #Cookie for a visit...sorry Cookie. LOL

This one, 10.5 head set to 11.5, w/ Chrome Elements 6FT in it, was taken to a place I like to call, pound town.

In all my testing with it, which I documented in here, the club speeds infatuated me and I knew just getting used to the club and finding the middle after doing so COULD yield some really nice results, after all the clubhead-speed sits on average 3mph higher for me than my 815 Alpha, for real. I never quite synced with it though and honestly the sound just bothered me compared to the 815. Yesterday it was the club, and it had a hell of a day for me. I hit some really nice shots, had a couple pulls off the tee that are swing issues with me working on getting the back of my hand to the ball still and not clipping with an open face, but I also hit a couple really pretty draws. Significant distance, via carry, for me on a soupy course. I think I'm going to leave this combo in the bag for a bit, then maybe try out the HC in it too.

Fun was found. Fun makes me smile.

Took this to the range last night for a tune up session before the king. After not hitting it for a week I stopped focusing on my swing and just swung the club and it was good. Changed the setup to N/S which plays at 10.5* and liked the ball flight so will keep it there for now. Distance was showing a consistent 250ish from smooth swings so I'll take that all day. Dispersion was great as well with most of them slightly fading, with a miss of a bit more left to right but manageable. When I get to the first tee, this will be in my hand, I'll take aim left of center, and I know this driver will put me in a fairway.

You were swinging great. Shot dispersion was consistent. I'd take it all day on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nudge for those following #TheKing today who want to take a look at the feedback from the players who have been honing in these tools they will be using in the competition the past months.

bf5bb4cd2835a94591f31d5c9dcb6f65.jpg

Warming up!

Getting that XR on!

This club straight up performed for me today. Smooth swing and it was a fairway finder. Drive on 17 was off the toe and still left me in good shape. Drive on 18 was a bad swing that left me in the drink, but really the only bad drive for me all day, and I know they weren't all great swings.

This club straight up performed for me today. Smooth swing and it was a fairway finder. Drive on 17 was off the toe and still left me in good shape. Drive on 18 was a bad swing that left me in the drink, but really the only bad drive for me all day, and I know they weren't all great swings.
I'm so anxious to hit mine in course for the first time Monday after reading about how this thing worked for you today in #theking!

Good first round out with the XR Driver today. Hit 9 fairways, but the course was fairly generous off the tee. Not sure how far I hit, kept forgetting to use my GPS and it was the first time playing this course. I do like the height I'm getting off this driver. Will be back at it tomorrow and I'll try to remember to get some distance measurements.

Now that #theking is over I'm going to put the handcrafted lz 6.5 in this head to see how it performs

Now that #theking is over I'm going to put the handcrafted lz 6.5 in this head to see how it performs
Looking forward to your feedback. I saw a few of your drives this weekend and thought "this KC720 hammers the ball still"

be prepared to be amazed by how similar the driver play but without the fear of overswinging the club. XR with handcrafted is a match made in heaven.

Looking forward to your feedback. I saw a few of your drives this weekend and thought "this KC720 hammers the ball still"
Will be providing further review of this club. The head is so forgiving it has a lot of potential. Once I can get some of my swing issues hammered out I can really see this being my gamer for long time. Will get some side by side numbers for 6.0lz/6.5 handcrafted. See once and for all if it's all in my head or not.

P.s. let's not mention my two duffed opening tee shots :angel:

be prepared to be amazed by how similar the driver play but without the fear of overswinging the club. XR with handcrafted is a match made in heaven.
I'm really looking forward to it. It took a lot of self control to not fiddle with the stock setup prior to the event. The tinkerer in me was screaming to he let out lol

Had this one in the bag again today, I can't say that I hit it better than my 815, but the performance is right there with it, it's strange really. I still think the 815 is better for my up and down miss, but heel and toe this one gets silly forgiving for me.

It's going to stay in the bag tomorrow and finally go heads up with the 815 on course

Hit 10 of 12 fairways today that I used the XR Driver on. Using Skycaddie GPS measured most of those in the 240's yardage wise for total distance. Driver is very forgiving. Really liking it first two rounds in.

Tried out this baby in 10.5* with the PX LZ 5.5 yesterday, and liked it a good bit. Hit my longest drive in the store with it, around 250 yd carry - launched at around 16* with 1900 rpm spin. Pretty silly good numbers.

I've got a lot of things to say about this driver after this past weekend, but need to catch up on life a little so it will be a day or 2. Spoiler: all good things.

Back