The Official 2015 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for Winston. If he believes strongly in this, and clearly he does, the suit is the right way to go about it.
It's an arms race at this point. His accuser can pay nothing while her lawyer goes after Winston, causing him to spend millions on legal fees while this drags on. It gives her crazy amounts of leverage. This is why companies settle wage and hour disputes even if they are in the right. Winston going after her will likely make her feel the squeeze and force some sort of mutual agreement.

Good for Winston. If he believes strongly in this, and clearly he does, the suit is the right way to go about it.
And if she was a victim, it's a bully tactic. Neither one of us know which it is. Since he's now on my team I am hoping she's just greedy.

This is a great point. 7th rounders are basically throw a way picks anyways.

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, Shannon Sharpe was a 7th round pick. There are gems to be had, even late in the draft

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, Shannon Sharpe was a 7th round pick. There are gems to be had, even late in the draft

They are the exceptions. Most amount to nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbhdi.jpg

Brady suspended 4 games. Patriots fined $1MM, docked a 1st in 2016 and a 4th in 2017.

SUCK IT CHEATERS!!!!!!!!

And he misses the Cowboy game now...........Booooooo!!!

Well we all knew they wouldn't suspend him for a 5th game...that's when they play the Colts! No way they are going to lose out on that marketing and that money.

This guy is already starting to irk me. He is a good player but the overhype in this area is insane. Can he play a few years before we put him in the HOF? This reminds me of when Latrell Sprewell was complaining about how was he supposed to feed his kids on what he made.

It's NY...mediocre players persecuted, decent players put on monuments. Hell, for 2 years Sanchez was the next Brady.

But I'll bet he has a drop off this year (still a decent year) and will quickly start getting some bad press.

Yeah, he should just shut up so the owners can pocket even more money!

When you get past the "athlete asking for more money" stuff, he is completely right. NFL contracts are only partially guaranteed, athletes from other sports make much more money, and nfl players have extremely short careers and often have injuries that stay with them the rest of their lives.

This guy is already starting to irk me. He is a good player but the overhype in this area is insane. Can he play a few years before we put him in the HOF? This reminds me of when Latrell Sprewell was complaining about how was he supposed to feed his kids on what he made.

Two EXTREMELY different arguments. Beckham's comments are nowhere near the level of "how am i supposed to feed my kids"?

This deadspin commenter says it best

I will never understand thinking that something like this a counterpoint.
It’s not like the “choice” here is that players get more money, or that money goes to feed starving children. If the players don’t get more money, then it goes to the owners. Owners to whom, a Ferrari is a rounding error in their balance sheets.
So, when people automatically write off these kinds of comments as the tone-deaf whimpers of millionaires, they are - ironically enough - siding with billionaires, by doing so.

Two EXTREMELY different arguments. Beckham's comments are nowhere near the level of "how am i supposed to feed my kids"?

Millions to play a game arent enough? My heart bleeds for the guy making money hand over fist in endorsements to catch a football.

be honest with yourself Ricky...your real issue is that he is a bad cuddler.

Millions to play a game arent enough? My heart bleeds for the guy making money hand over fist in endorsements to catch a football.

What about the BILLIONAIRES that sit in a luxury box and pay these players to play football? Or the BILLIONAIRES that pay these players to wear their gear?

How about the fact that Aaron Rodgers last contract gave him $62.5 million guaranteed, but Giancarlo Stanton just got $325 million guaranteed.

You know who got $60 million guaranteed in baseball? Curtis Granderson for 4 years, an above average corner outfielder.

I will agree the top players make ridiculous money but the guys making league minimum or just above I can see the argument they have short careers and fact is so many don't know how to so anything other than play football (a whole different hot topic for me) so they try to cash in when they can.

Good article here on NFL contracts vs MLB contracts
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tween-lucrative-contracts-in-the-nfl-and-mlb/

Think about that: Marshawn Lynch, who carried his team into the Super Bowl and was one lousy play call away from winning it for the second straight season – a guy who has led the league in rushing touchdowns each of the past two seasons — isn’t guaranteed anything more than $12 million for 2015. If the year goes awry and the Seahawks find the remainder of his deal unpalatable, off he goes – cut, and owed nothing more.

By comparison, some baseball contracts issued this offseason: Pat Neshek, 34-year-old reliever, $12.5 million for two seasons with Houston; Yovani Gallardo, $13 million for just 2015 with Milwaukee, who then traded him to Texas; Michael Cuddyer, two years and $21 million with the Mets; Jake Peavy, two years and $24 million in San Francisco; Adam LaRoche, two years and $25 million with the White Sox; J.J. Hardy, three years and $40 million with Baltimore.

What about the BILLIONAIRES that sit in a luxury box and pay these players to play football? Or the BILLIONAIRES that pay these players to wear their gear?

How about the fact that Aaron Rodgers last contract gave him $62.5 million guaranteed, but Giancarlo Stanton just got $325 million guaranteed.

You know who got $60 million guaranteed in baseball? Curtis Granderson for 4 years, an above average corner outfielder.

I must have missed the story about the Billionaire owner coming out and saying he wanted more money than the owners in baseball or other sports. Of course they do. I dont want to hear it while Im grinding at work 40 hours a week making barely enough to put a roof over my families head and put food on the table. No one is forcing this guy to play football. He should have played a different sport or finished college and gotten a job. Its a privilege to play in professional sports and get paid millions.

It's the same most everywhere: company owners make wayyyyy more money than their employees. If they want baseball money, go play baseball... Or collectively bargain for a better deal.

It's the same most everywhere: company owners make wayyyyy more money than their employees. If they want baseball money, go play baseball... Or collectively bargain for a better deal.

Agreed on the last point you make. The NFLPA is at fault for consistently negotiating embarrassing CBAs for its players. Who needs better health benefits or higher minimum salaries when we can have less offseason activities and no two-a-days during training camp!

16 games vs 162 games.
Sure there is contact, but the guaranteed salary argument is laughable.
If you want more money...Dont sign the contract and get better at a different sport I guess.
Nobody is forcing anybody to play a game for millions last I checked.

I would like to make the same as the VP of Engineering at Boeing. I would be told to learn the damn craft and work hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back