The Official 2015 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I'm not understanding the character doubts about Collins. A friend of his who he was very personal with was murdered. He was brought in for questioning to rule him out. He was ruled out. Terrible timing cause it cost him a lot of $$$$ not being drafted in the 1st. People love to jump to conclusions without all the facts. All 32 teams reached out to him to try and sign him. Doesn't seem like too much of a character issue to me.

Then why didn't someone use a 7th round draft choice to guarantee they'd have him? It isn't like many teams have a track record of truly caring about off field stuff. I come back to the radio interview I mentioned before - there's something going on with him that is known around the league but not public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

honestly, I have less of a problem with him than I do with Hardy. However that could change with the investigation. From the little I have read, he isn't a suspect, but there are some dark clouds surrounding him.

What are the dark clouds? I'm asking because I honestly don't know or have not heard anyone say anything other than his friend being murdered? I've tried to search for issues he's had before at LSU but can't find anything.

Then why didn't someone use a 7th round draft choice to guarantee they'd have him? It isn't like many teams have a track record of truly caring about off field stuff. I come back to the radio interview I mentioned before - there's something going on with him that is known around the league but not public.

This is a great point. 7th rounders are basically throw a way picks anyways.

Yea, I'm not understanding the character doubts about Collins. A friend of his who he was very personal with was murdered. He was brought in for questioning to rule him out. He was ruled out. Terrible timing cause it cost him a lot of $$$$ not being drafted in the 1st. People love to jump to conclusions without all the facts. All 32 teams reached out to him to try and sign him. Doesn't seem like too much of a character issue to me.

What are the dark clouds? I'm asking because I honestly don't know or have not heard anyone say anything other than his friend being murdered? I've tried to search for issues he's had before at LSU but can't find anything.

I have to admit, this made me laugh. Not because there is a crime spree that you missed, just that there are definitely concerns there. From a football stand point, its a great move. However no team spending a 7th round pick on him, including Mr. Irrelevant says something in my opinion. I hope he turns out to be a great citizen and a fabulous player. That is what people should want out of every young man drafted into this incredible league.

Rumor is word got out that he would sit out a year if a team drafted him in the late rounds. He wanted to pick the place he wanted to play at after being cleared. He would have gotten the same $$$$ so why not be able to pick your place of employment? Truly a weird and unique situation for Collins and it's terrible it happened to him at that time. 32 teams came a calling after he was cleared. If there was something going on then why did every NFL team pick up the phone and call?

the entire situation about being brought in for questioning about the murder of his ex-girlfriend who was pregnant. While he hasn't been mentioned as a suspect, it still creates nothing positive from being around that type of situation. Enough so that it scared off teams from taking a chance even with a 7th rounder on him. Now I've only read a little bit about it, but being tied to a murder of an 8 month pregnant ex-girlfriend is not a good thing.

Hopefully when things are all said and done, it is nothing more than him being brought in for questioning because of his past relationship with the woman. But it's more than a cause for concern at this point in time.

the entire situation about being brought in for questioning about the murder of his ex-girlfriend who was pregnant. While he hasn't been mentioned as a suspect, it still creates nothing positive from being around that type of situation. Enough so that it scared off teams from taking a chance even with a 7th rounder on him. Now I've only read a little bit about it, but being tied to a murder of an 8 month pregnant ex-girlfriend is not a good thing.

Hopefully when things are all said and done, it is nothing more than him being brought in for questioning because of his past relationship with the woman. But it's more than a cause for concern at this point in time.

See my post above. I think we can cross out the 7th round pick issue for teams. Makes perfect sense that happened which is why every NFL team called him once he was cleared as a suspect.

See my post above. I think we can cross out the 7th round pick issue for teams. Makes perfect sense that happened which is why every NFL team called him once he was cleared as a suspect.

perhaps. But even with a late round pick, why wouldn't a team call his bluff? A wasted 5-7 round pick isn't going to kill a franchise. I'm hopeful things work out for him and the Cowboys because from an on field move, it could be a steal.

perhaps. But even with a late round pick, why wouldn't a team call his bluff? A wasted 5-7 round pick isn't going to kill a franchise. I'm hopeful things work out for him and the Cowboys because from an on field move, it could be a steal.

Agreed. Then as late as 3 days ago, his agent saying he will not officially meet and/or speak with teams. Its just a weird story and one I hope works out.

Is that PR an NFL team wanted? Media would have had a field day with that one. PR nightmare it sounds like to me.

The Official 2015 NFL Thread

Rumor is word got out that he would sit out a year if a team drafted him in the late rounds. He wanted to pick the place he wanted to play at after being cleared. He would have gotten the same $$$$ so why not be able to pick your place of employment? Truly a weird and unique situation for Collins and it's terrible it happened to him at that time. 32 teams came a calling after he was cleared. If there was something going on then why did every NFL team pick up the phone and call?
I have no dog in this fight. If I had a favorite team I probably be happy if Collins ended up there. Having said that, the explanation doesn't hold a lot of water to me. Teams generally don't care about what players want. It is difficult for me to believe that nobody would call Collins bluff about sitting out a year, especially if it only cost them a seventh round pick. Imagine you are one of the least desirable free agent destinations, what would you have to lose by using a pick on him? Good on the Cowboys for picking up a talented player. I will not be surprised if more of the story comes out later.

Agreed. Then as late as 3 days ago, his agent saying he will not officially meet and/or speak with teams. Its just a weird story and one I hope works out.

very strange indeed.

Is that PR an NFL team wanted? Media would have had a field day with that one. PR nightmare it sounds like to me.

Doesn't have to be a PR nightmare if handled properly. Nothing more than saying "We believe he is innocent of any wrong doing. We hear the right things coming from the investigation, and when the conclusions of the investigation come out, he will be nothing more than a material witness. La'el is a hell of a player and he will be a strong member of this organization for years to come." Obviously it's not that easy, but you don't need to have it spread like wildfire. And in all honesty if he's a 5th-7th round pick, how long is that story going to be out there?

I have no dog in this fight. If I had a favorite team I probably be happy if Collins ended up there. Having said that, the explanation doesn't hold a lot of water to me. Teams generally don't care about what players want. It is difficult for me to believe that nobody would call Collins bluff about sitting out a year, especially if it only cost them a seventh round pick. Imagine you are one of the least desirable free agent destinations, what would you have to lose by using a pick on him? Good on the Cowboys for picking up a talented player. I will not be surprised if more of the story comes out later.

What would make all 32 NFL teams not attempt to take a 7th round flyer on a 1st round draft pick and then all the sudden all 32 NFL teams reach out to said players once he becomes a undrafted FA just days later? I guess that is the million dollar question.

What would make all 32 NFL teams not attempt to take a 7th round flyer on a 1st round draft pick and then all the sudden all 32 NFL teams reach out to said players once he becomes a undrafted FA just days later? I guess that is the million dollar question.

Fair question. Heck, if I was another NFC East team I would have used a seventh round pick on him just to prevent him from playing from the Cowboys this year.

The Dolphins supposedly had a good shot at him but I guess the Cowboys had a better offer/more pull. It was scrolling along the bottom of the draft that his agent told media he would not sign a contract if he was drafted below the 3rd round. I think that coupled with the murder thing just pulled him off the boards of most teams. I don't think anyone wanted that kind of attention and distraction around especially for a 7th round pick. Get the Elway draft headaches with a 7th round pick? Seems like a lot of locker room issues if it did go down.

Oh no Jags fans:

Oh no Jags fans:

I HATE seeing that. Hate it. But how "Jags" is that? Good draft. Good prospect, injured.

I HATE seeing that. Hate it. But how "Jags" is that? Good draft. Good prospect, injured.

That would be out luck now that Caldwell has things moving in a good direction. Hopefully not serous.

That would be out luck now that Caldwell has things moving in a good direction. Hopefully not serous.

Video doesnt look good. Hoping for the best:

Definitely not a good way to start for the Jags #3 overall pick. I read so many great things from draft experts saying the Jags could be the most improved team this year, but this could deal a significant blow to that idea.

And now they say torn ACL out for the year. @$%#£¥^!

Feel bad for the young man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back