United Airlines Incident

No it's not. The police aren't stopping your car, forcefully removing you from it, and making you sit in a hotel for a night before you can begin traveling again.

But if the police tell you a road is closed and you con't continue on it, and you go ahead and try to drive down it regardless, you will be forcefully removed from your car an taken to jail before traveling again.

And I would venture to guess United could have had him arrested for refusing to leave the aircraft had they chosen to.

Oh, I agree JB. What he should do is get off the flight and raise holy hell until the airline puts him on another airline or compensates him in the manner he feels acceptable. If they completely fail to do that, then obviously his last option would be to sue.

Or actually, I've found that if you be extremely nice about it, that's the best way to get what you want in most cases (your hotel experience excepted).

Why should he be the one. What makes someone else more important than him. Why is his time not valued. I can't bile even you'd be ok with this. He was dragged off because he was a single traveler. That's BS and way out of line. How about that fat guy in the orange or the guy that dragged him off or the person filming? This is crazy that people are ok with this level activity.

He gets what he deserved.. just drive to Louisville. Or act like an adult.

What world do we live in where "he got what he deserved?"

For ****s sake.

The video I saw showed that at least one of the guys taking him off the plane had "Police" on the back of his jacket.
Do what the cops say to do and then file your complaints later.
Screaming like a child and refusing to get off could have gotten him hurt pretty badly.

Just like crossing the street at an intersection without watching for traffic....you can be right....and you can be dead right.

But if the police tell you a road is closed and you con't continue on it, and you go ahead and try to drive down it regardless, you will be forcefully removed from your car an taken to jail before traveling again.

And I would venture to guess United could have had him arrested for refusing to leave the aircraft had they chosen to.

that analogy would suggest the plane wasn't going anywhere.

More like 'sir there are too many people traveling north right now, so we'll need you to get off, sleep the night at that hotel there, and then continue tomorrow"

Why should he be the one. What makes someone else more important than him. Why is his time not valued. I can't bile even you'd be ok with this. He was dragged off because he was a single traveler. That's BS and way out of line. How about that fat guy in the orange or the guy that dragged him off or the person filming? This is crazy that people are ok with this level activity.

Its an algorhythm based on who is the easiest passenger without small children to get where they are headed the fastest.

I don't think they're required to give you compensation. I think they may be required to pay for your food, transportation, and lodging if no flight the same day is available. They typically do offer compensation to try to get volunteers, but I don't think it's mandatory.
Looks like if you're involuntarily bumped from a flight where you are ticketed and confirmed, they owe you, and quite a bit it looks like depending on the delay.

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights and go to overbooking

Its an algorhythm based on who is the easiest passenger without small children to get where they are headed the fastest.

I don't get penalizing anyone person for the short comings of the airline. And I don't get assaulting the man for his seat. Nothing about what transpired is ok with me.

My wife and I were bumped once on an Alaska Air flight.
They refunded our flights in total for that trip and then gave us a free return trip to the same destination to use at a later date. I was thrilled and asked if they wanted to bump us again lol.

If they offered nothing in the form of compensation I would be pissed beyond reason.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

From a customer service standpoint, a much better way to handle it would be to increase the $ value of the vouchers they were offering (did I hear $800 per person?) until they had the number of volunteers they needed.

This is going to sound bad but what makes a person with children more important than a person without?

The fact remains they should not be overbooking and there is no valid reason to do so. Charge $10 a ticket to offset the loss if you stop overbooking.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Looks like if you're involuntarily bumped from a flight where you are ticketed and confirmed, they owe you, and quite a bit it looks like depending on the delay.

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights and go to overbooking

You are correct. If they remove you or request someone give up their seat, they have to compensate. Usually the price of the ticket and then some. Plus a flight out on the next thing moving. I've done it several times traveling when I was headed home from a conference of meeting.

What world do we live in where "he got what he deserved?"

For ****s sake.
How does he not deserve it? He was told to deboard by policy/security. It's been that way forever, if a person in authority gives you a legal command you obey or they make you do it. It was that way in kindergarten and it's still that way.

I don't get penalizing anyone person for the short comings of the airline. And I don't get assaulting the man for his seat. Nothing about what transpired is ok with me.

Assault?
If I come to your house and sit down on the kitchen floor and refuse to leave and scream and kick, eventually you are going to remove me.

I agree about the short comings, its part of airline life sadly. I dont agree the way the person handled himself. And I dont think the minute something rough happens we need to turn to lawsuits. Be made whole and move on. The social media of the world blows everything far larger than it needs to be.

Assault?
If I come to your house and sit down on the kitchen floor and refuse to leave and scream and kick, eventually you are going to remove me.

I agree about the short comings, its part of airline life sadly. I dont agree the way the person handled himself. And I dont think the minute something rough happens we need to turn to lawsuits. Be made whole and move on. The social media of the world blows everything far larger than it needs to be.

Private citizen can not put their hands on other citizens. The airline is another story.

And if you came to my house I'd faint, cause it's never happened :D.

Assault?

Are you willing to pay hundreds of dollars to sit in my kitchen?

If so, I'll write something up, but I can't guarantee there'll be room.

You are correct. If they remove you or request someone give up their seat, they have to compensate. Usually the price of the ticket and then some. Plus a flight out on the next thing moving. I've done it several times traveling when I was headed home from a conference of meeting.
Yeah, so know your rights, get off the plane, and get what's coming to you. This whole thing could have been avoided.

Private citizen can not put their hands on other citizens. The airline is another story.

And if you came to my house I'd faint, cause it's never happened :D.
So if you refuse to leave the mall security can't remove you? How is this any different?

Are you willing to pay hundreds of dollars to sit in my kitchen?

If so, I'll write something up, but I can't guarantee there'll be room.

Sure, because the return is going to be double that, easily.
I will come and sit in the kitchen and pay you $200. You then ask me to leave whenever and give me $400.

See how easy that went? Or you ask me to leave with $400 and I scream and yell and kick all of the appliances. haha

Yeah, so know your rights, get off the plane, and get what's coming to you. This whole thing could have been avoided.

You're right, the people that didn't get on could have been redirected. There are so many other things that could have happened.

Sure, because the return is going to be double that, easily.
I will come and sit in the kitchen and pay you $200. You then ask me to leave whenever and give me $400.

See how easy that went? Or you ask me to leave with $400 and I scream and yell and kick all of the appliances. haha

Ehhh, not really, but I am entertained by the analogy.

So, you paid for a flight, got in your seat, and were subsequently KOed because you intended to actually use that seat?

Nah, not okay with it. Hopefully he sues the crap out of them. Morons need to stop overbooking their flights.
Pretty much this. Threaten to ban him from future flights, but to get physical with him*, nah ... not ok with it.

*I'm running under the assumption that this was United personnel, not the police. The whole thing was a cluster.

This is going to sound bad but what makes a person with children more important than a person without?

The fact remains they should not be overbooking and there is no valid reason to do so. Charge $10 a ticket to offset the loss if you stop overbooking.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Its obvious Im more important that you for lots of reasons :)

So if you refuse to leave the mall security can't remove you? How is this any different?

If mall security is asking you to leave, you e don't something wrong. Plus they are hired by the mall. The guy in the green fleece in seat 18b doesn't have the right to remove you. It's not like the head stewardess deputized him or something.

I'd love to see how people would react if they were forced to give up their seat and had some place to be.

Back