THP Handicap Watch & Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a 14.8 right now, and would like to be a 10 by the end of the summer. I think I can make it happen. I'm working with a new instructor and hitting the range/practice green 2-3 times per week at lunch to work on stuff.

dcbrad
Goal is 8-9

My goal going into this winter was to take a swing that had band aids and patches on it from last year and refine it to take that next step, handicap wise. I have been burning up that practice thread this winter with progress and have even thrown a few pictures in as well. Beginning of December I had my first lesson with a new pro and we broke down quite a few things and began to rebuild them. First was shortening my back swing and getting my arms away from my chest during that back swing. I worked on that for about a month and a half and when he was satisfied, we started working on the lower body motion, adding a hip bump and getting more balanced overall with my weight shift during the downswing. Those changes have finally been engrained and we are close to getting to a finished product. The goal from here on out is to get on course and outside practice time. I have been practicing 3-4 and sometimes 5 days a week in my basement doing stretching drills and working on ball striking and this new swing. I am feeling the best I have ever felt and I feel like my goal is very reachable and maybe can even do better than an 8-9. I imagine by the end of March we will be able to get out on courses around here and the final step will be completed. I'm excited to see where I start the year as I don't really feel like I am "rusty" since I haven't probably gone more than 3 days without swinging a club since November.

War Eagle

Currently at a 6.0 index. Kind of surprised it's still where it is, but a bunch of great rounds from the end of last year are helping hold that number there, I guess. Last few rounds have been either hot or cold, shooting two rounds of 78 and two rounds in the 80s.

Right now my focus is my game from the tee, mainly not pulling driver every single time and focusing on setting up my second shot rather than just swinging driver on every hole. Outside of that, my other focus and prep is based a lot on "getting up and down". Often times I miss greens, but not by a large margin, honing my short game is what had me heading in the right direction last year, and what I believe will sharpen me for the 2014 Season. Looking at my stats from multiple rounds and talking with my Morgan Cup team, I believe that the ability to get up and down is the difference between me being in the 80s with a score or being in the mid 70s.

Last round out with THPers, I converted 7/9 up and down opportunities, which led to a not too shabby 78 on a day when my irons were fighting against me a bit.

My goal is to be a sub-5 handicap, and I believe I have what it takes to get there.

Great thread for sure!

Ole Gray
17.5 = 18
My goal is 12

I attempted to play golf the last two years on a terrible knee which was not conducive for playing golf very well. Recently I had it fixed and I feel great. I'm trending down to the mid 80's with my scoring of late. My plan to reach the 12 handicap is by ingraining a proper putting stroke to lower my putts per round average. At the moment it's horrendous which camouflages my golfing potential quite a bit. We have a learning center at our golf course where I'll be working on a series of lessons to include putting and short game skills.

We have a bunch of low handicappers in here so I got a lot of catching up to do!

Flog2424

I feel that this isn't very accurate currently as I am playing anywhere from a scratch to a 6 depending on the day.

My goal is to get it below a 1. I am doing numerous things to get there. I have been working with the SPI methods to turn my putting around which has always been the thing that has held me back from being extremely good. I also just started a 5 lesson series to get my swing back to where it was in college as I haven't taken any lessons in the last 5 years and my swing shows big time.

With this combo and a motivated soul, I plan on putting in the work to get to where I need to be for the Morgan Cup and beyond

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Kyle
Current GHIN: 11.4
Goal GHIN: 5.0

I'd like to cut my handicap in more than half! I've already started a few things at home, but want to get into a practice regiment that outside of playing, as much as I can, I want to practice putter, short game, mid game, long game; in separate sessions once a month.

Depending on the progress I see through April, I will be adding in some lessons at least once a month, possibly more depending on how my game is developing, why April, because our range doesn't open until the end of March anyway!

Tequila4kapp
My goal is to change the way I work on my game this off season and see where that takes my game.

The past two off seasons I worked on my swing. Season 1 was to eliminate a case of the lefts. Season 2 was to break 80. Both were accomplished, but my index didn't materially improve. While my better scores were much better, I have also been very inconsistent - as likely to put up a big number as a lower one. This off season I will not take lessons but instead will practice and work on short game. I hope it translates into more consistent scoring. The index will be whatever the index will be.

What do you guys mean by "traveling"? Is that over several courses as opposed to members having a HC based mainly at one course?

Lots of really solid goals here folks!

jwstrother

My goal is to be under 5 by the end of the summer. I think to do that I have to treat every shot as I would an eagle (i don't get many chances at those). I have been known to be very nonchalant when having to layup and not focusing on the putt when having a bad drive and approach shots. My goal is to grind through the entire 18 holes instead of taking a hole or two off each round.

Jman

My goal is to be sub 4 and I have a definite course of action to attain this.

1) I am taking lessons for the first time in my life. My swing has always been very natural to me and what many would say as "athletic", but I'm entirely self taught. I knew a lot of what I was doing, but not how to address it without compounding into other things. A new set of eyes and a new wording has done wonders for me. I will continue lessons to and beyond the MC.

2) Practice with a purpose, LEARN to practice. My pro is helping me with this a ton. I've realized I don't have to go pound balls on the range, I can go hit 20 balls with a focus and a purpose on grooving something I have been working on.

3) Travel. When school releases I plan to play at least 2 unfamiliar courses per week. I need to see new things and not know the in's and out's of a course.

4) Believe in myself. No more mental midget, no more blow ups. I can be good at this game, and I will be. 2014 is the year to end all years for me with competitive golf, MC and #Grandaddy. Its time.

What do you guys mean by "traveling"? Is that over several courses as opposed to members having a HC based mainly at one course?

Yep. And it's something that I need to work on!

Current: 4.1
Goal: +0.1

I want that plus sign. I've got to finalize some scheduling with my swing instructor but fairly confident I can get that done here soon. Some continued short game to make this the current floor level and see if I can improve on it more.

Putting, I'd really like to be better within 5ft as well as 10ft. Usually comes down to hesitation on speed and I'll pull it.

I like where things are headed though since the last update.

Yes, that is correct. I want to branch out a little so I can play better anywhere. That's going to rely on improving the swing though. I can manage a course to pretty decent scores after a few outings, but I don't want to rely so heavily on my short game.

Just means to step outside your comfort zone and play different types of courses with different layouts.

Canadan.
My goal is to be a scratch golfer again this year.

Long breaks bring skill gaps in the finesse shots, putting, and overall consistency of my game. 2014 will be focused on becoming a more consistent golfer in all aspects of the game, and I would really like to start improving my ball striking rather than leaning on playing to my misses down the stretch. No real swing overhaul, with the exception of trying to remove the negative attack angle from my driver swing.

braddman19

Currently a 9.8..... with significant downtime

My Goal? I would love to be a 7, with a proper travelling handicap. Hopefully with practice, lessons, and more rounds at different courses, it will enable me to be more consistent when playing "away" courses.

Adwillingham
Official Handicap - NH
Trend H.I - 17.2

I had never paid for the privilege to obtain an official handicap in the past because I didn't play in tournaments that required it. It was however, one of the things I had wanted to do, and now plan to maintain. I have paid for/signed up for my official GHIN handicap, and as of the last revision, just hadn't posted enough scores to actually calculate a number. I have gone back in now, and posted the last few scores from last year, so I believe I should get my first real number during the next revision (GHIN website showing that the trend is 17.2).

The positive for me is that this is already a travelling handicap. Of the six scores posted there, not a single one is at my "home course", and only three of the six were on courses I had ever played before. This has always been the way I play golf because I like the variety. If that means the handicap stays higher than some others, that's ok with me.

Goal - 10 to 12 by July

I'm not really sure where to set my goal for because, frankly, I'm not sure where I can get to. I have taken the first two of six purchased lessons, and while we are working on a LOT of things already, the instructor says I have the ability to get a lot better...and he doesn't have to lie at this point, he's already been paid. I'm in the one step back, two steps forward phase though but I am very excited about having an event in the Morgan Cup to drive me to put more effort into learning and improving beyond where I've ever been willing to spend the time or money.

Currently HDCP 8.0

It's been a long time since I could enter a score so in reality I would say it's higher than that right now due to winter.

Last year I struggled. While my scores were up and down and my handicap only rose a point I felt like I did not hit the ball nearly as well as I did in 2012. This year I am rededicated to the game and am getting back to enjoying it. Anyone who talked to me last year knows that I really just didn't enjoy golf as much as I should last season.

My goal for the season is to get down in the 5-6 range. My lowest ever was a 7.1 and I truly believe that I can be better than that. I am not going to be number conscious though, the goal is to score better, not worry about the handicap. If I score better everything else will take care of itself. For this season I will be getting back with my instructor, who has really helped my game the last few years. I also have found a practice area that I can really work on the short game. I felt the short game really let me down last year, whereas before it was my strong suit.

Another thing that is going to happen here soon is being fit for equipment. This weekend I will be heading out to a TMPL to get fit for irons and maybe some other parts of the bag if there is time. Honestly I have never had a really good iron fitting before, it's always just been your basic loft/lie with the stock shaft. So to say that I am really looking forward to it would be an understatement. I think that properly fitted equipment is a good piece to the puzzle. I also plan on getting a set bag leading up to the MC. The last few years there has been a lot of in and outs with the bag, this year I don't want that to happen.

Anyway, going to be fun to keep this thread updated throughout the year and see how we all progress.

Cpljohnst
Official GHIN - 9.4
Goal 5

I believe this is a very reachable goal. I got down to an all time low of 7.3 last year. I've been able to stay in the single digits all winter for the first time ever also. Have some lessons scheduled over the next 5 weeks and a practice plan to help me get there.

Hope to be down to 8.5 by #theking and down to 5 by end of July.

I like seeing all of the lofty goals in here. This will be a fun one to follow along with.

Currently I am a 6.5 GHIN.

My goal by the last week of July is to be 1.0 or less. I have officially started lessons last week. I will be taking a lesson once every other week until we get outside.

I think the biggest obstacle for me to over come is putting and short game around the green. Once I have lessons on those I believe I can achieve my goal.

tpluff

Handicap @ end of last year: 9.0
Goal for 2014: A traveling 5.0

I played some really good golf last year and it was my first year of truly trying to better myself. I know this year, in order to make those same strides, I will have to trump my work ethic and motivation from last year. Things really got interesting after I got selected for the #Grandaddy last year as it energized me and got me out to the course/range on days I might have just took a nap after work. I think I have a plan to accomplish this in the coming year.

Lessons are going to be a big part of what I do. I've already talked to the coach and he said he'd love to work with me. Boom, probably a 6 pack of lessons and the ability to pick his brain and not only find out what, but why. I think lessons alone could drop my handicap a few points.

Secondly, practicing with a purpose. The lessons will help with this as I will hopefully get some drills to improve on when I'm not at the lesson. I go to the range often, but I'm guilty of just beating balls. I've got to stop that and work on my game when I'm out there.

Lastly, knowing my handicap will travel is a lofty goal for me. There's going to be 3 ways that I gauge if I can achieve that:
1) Breaking par on my home course - while it may not mean travel, I know the ability is there to score well when I execute basic shots.
2) Break 80 at a THP event - I've gotten to 81 a couple times, but I just can't break 80, yet. This will happen.
3) Break 80 at 10 different courses this year - I usually don't branch out from my home course because I golf for free, but this year I want new tests, new shots to have to execute, and new designs to test different aspects of my game.

My current, official handicap is 3.0. But, it is artificially low because of too small of a sample size. My unofficial handicap is 5.8. (I actually expect that number to come up slightly before it lowers again.)

I would like to get under a 4.0 before The Morgan Cup. I think that I had a pretty good practice routine for the Grandaddy, and I lowered my handicap from around an 8 to just under a 6. I have a few ideas on how I can get the number lower.

I'm looking forward to warmer, earlier mornings, which will allow for some range time before work. That extra practice really helped for the Grandaddy. The difference, though, is that I'll have the benefit of longer, warmer days right up to the Morgan Cup, where cooler weather and less daylight made practice more difficult.

I think I'll hit my goal.

Cpljohnst
Official GHIN - 9.4
Goal 5

I believe this is a very reachable goal. I got down to an all time low of 7.3 last year. I've been able to stay in the single digits all winter for the first time ever also. Have some lessons scheduled over the next 5 weeks and a practice plan to help me get there.

Hope to be down to 8.5 by #theking and down to 5 by end of July.

You definitely have the game to be at least a 5! Good luck buddy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back