Wilson Staff Demo Day Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The 2011 THP Golf Outing & Demo Day has concluded and one of the many wonderful things that took place was the ability to hit just about every piece golf equipment you could imagine. We provided notebooks, pens, and gear and ask that people give their thoughts on the equipment that they tried.

This thread will be devoted for the Wilson Staff equipment that was out there.

Di11 Irons
DXI Driver
FG Tour Irons
FG Tour Wedges
Vizor Putter
DXI FW Woods
DXI Hybrids

This is the list and we look forward to hearing everybody's thoughts that got to experience this incredible day of demoing equipment.

DXI Driver - Yoccos and I spent time with this together. We put every type of swing we could on it and the ball just seemed to go straight every time. It was crazy how accurate it was. I think there were some that were longer, but this may have been the straightest out there.

DXI Fairway - 3 wood is going in my bag effective immediately. I was bombing this thing off of the tee on Sat PM and Sunday. Was easy to hit from the fairway and rough. This club gave me a ton of confidence and I can't wait to throw it in my bag.

FG Tour Irons - not for me. I don't have the game for them. However they have a great look to them and feel nice when you hit them on the screws.

DXI Hybrid - reminded be of the Fybrid which is one of my favorite hybrids to date. Perhaps top 3 for me at the outing. Great ball flight and plenty of forgiveness.

Di11 irons - are long and forgiving. Who wouldn't want that? They do have a thicker top line than what I currently play, but that is a non issue for me.

One thing I would say against WS is that I did not care for their stock grips on the irons, woods, or hybrids.

Bottom Line: DON'T SLEEP ON WILSON STAFF

I tried a couple items from the Wilson Staff list. Please understand that I'm a bit of a W/S homer, but I'm really trying to be unbiased here :)

FG Tour Wedges - Out of a need for wedges for my rounds, I chose these. I will be completely honest and say that the reason they caught my eye was because of the awesome black/white Lamkin grips. The head is very nice looking and almost a bit industrial. It's very plain, which hasn't been something I could say about many W/S offerings in the last couple years. I loved the look from grip to head. The wedge has a bit of a rounded leading edge, which I normally don't love, but they worked great.

There wasn't anything other than looks that made me go crazy about these wedges, but there wasn't anything that I didn't like either. They were very solid and something that I would game in a minute. I enjoyed using them quite a bit.

FG Tour Irons - There was an immediate attraction when I grabbed these out of the box. Again, they have the black/white Lamkin grips that look stunning. The head is probably the best looking iron head I've ever seen. To me, these were just gorgeous. They felt a bit head-heavy to me, but they come with DG shafts, which are a bit heavier than many irons I play. I actually found them to be quite easy to hit, but I'm sure much of that has to do with pure will. They had a nice ballflight. A bit lower than some of the lighter/higher launch shafts that I often use.

The feel was crisp to me and I liked the weight of the club through my swing. These are not a forgiving iron and I'm sad to say that I'd never pick them for a gamer with my ability at the moment. Still, these are an iron I'd play if I was a very good ball striker. Just solid all around and the looks make me smile.

One thing I would say against WS is that I did not care for their stock grips on the irons, woods, or hybrids.

Bottom Line: DON'T SLEEP ON WILSON STAFF

Can you expand on this? Is it you being more of a Golf Pride, Winn, etc. guy and not a Lamkin guy? Or is it the aesthetics? Or is it the grip type? Etc.? Thanks.

And I'm wide awake.

Last edited:
Can you expand on this? Is it you being more of a Golf Pride, Winn, etc. guy and not a Lamkin guy? Or is it the aesthetics? Or is it the grip type? Etc.? Thanks.

And I'm wide awake.

The grips on the Di11's, DXI woods and hybrids are different from them on the FG Tour irons. The Tour irons have Lamkin Crossline grips, which I have used and liked in the past. However to me the grips on the DXI line did not feel good to me at all. They are a black rubber grip that have a bunch of different cuts and slots in them. To me it was very uncomfortable and did not feel good in my hands. Grips are a personal choice and I would never not buy a club because of a grip. They are easy and cheap to replace. I will take a picture of one of the grips tonight.

• Admin
Di11 Irons - I love these. Long, high and straight and I saw people hitting them better than just about everything they came across.

DXI Driver - A real sleeper this year. I would prefer a different shaft in it, but the club head is the real deal.

FG Tour Irons - Love the look, but I like more forgiveness. For a players iron, these are as good as most on the market. And they look great.

FG Tour Wedges - This is one that I am in the minority on. I just did not care for these. I struggled with their versatility and when hitting them side by side other options, they just did not work well for me.

DXI Hybrids - Very good hybrid. Again I have a shaft issue with it when comparing dollars for dollars against the Mashie and the quality that is found there.

All in all, the Wilson Staff gear really impressed me. Top to bottom a solid company really putting out some good stuff.

Last edited:
FG Tour Irons, I went a little crazy and picked a few clubs that were above my skill level for a comparison. These were neck and neck with my other favorites in the bunch, I really enjoyed the look of the head at address, simple and straight-forward. The weighting of the clubhead was just about perfect to me, could certainly feel the weight in my forearms which is something I look for in an iron to help with my tempo. Ball flight was a tad lower than I had been expecting since we were hitting into a breeze, definite plus in my opinion. I managed to save a nice spot of turf to hit these off of and was really surprised how the leading edge interacted sliced through without digging in. Feel was what I expected, nothing on a crisp hit and a little tinge when I caught one on the toe. Did not notice much distance loss on well struck shots either. On the negative side, if you can consider it a negative, I did not like the Lamkin grips at all, but then again I am sold on another brand, easy fix.

Di-11, loooooong! I hit the 7I beside my current 7I and it was easily 10 yds longer. The kicker is even though it was longer it was still incredibly easy to get up in the air, great great set of irons! These were a real surprise, easily earned a spot in my top three irons of the day.

• Admin
Im sure as people get back from traveling, more updates will hit from demo day.

Well, I mentioned something in the Di11 thread but I can mention it here as well.

Coolbreeze brought his set of irons down so I spent some time on the range with him and his irons. It was kind of him to let me hit them and ironically, his have been fit to him at 1/2'' longer and 2* upright, which is ideal for me. He was begging me to try the Gap wedge so I started with it. Two words: holy shat! What an incredible iron. It looks great at address, it launches the ball high and it just goes. I couldn't believe how effortless I was swinging and how awesome the results were. I immediately pulled the 4 iron and started ripping balls with it. I cannot for the life of me remember what shaft he has in his irons but they were stepless and they worked wonderfully.

No joking, if I could have a set at my doorstep tomorrow, I'd take them. Wilson Staff has really impressed me over the past two golf seasons and I really wish that more people would give their products a chance.

I would like to than W/S for sending a wonderful amount of equipment to the demo day. I know that their products were highly sought after.

I only got to hit the Di11 irons and the FG Tour irons (I was concentrating heavily on irons this time around).

Di11 - Very forgiving and long. I just didn't agree with the shaft offering on these (a product of my swing) as I was pushing everything right with these. Stock offering should do well with someone with a slower swing speed and a slower transition. Sneaky good club, IMO.

FG Tour - Biggest surprise of the outing for me. Yoccos actually gave me one to hit because I couldn't find it on the iron bag area and this club is special. I love the grip on this (Lamkin Crossline), the shaft was right for me as well (I think they were the Nippon NS 1050's). The head looks great at address and it was just an overall great looking club. I was hitting missiles with this. I actually thought the head was pretty forgiving for a forged players club (just a notch down IMO from the ZStars). I could hit multiple shots with this with good distance. I was thinking long and hard on what clubs to play for the rounds and this was on top of the list. Great club overall and people looking for a forged players iron should not dismiss this club. Bravo Wilson Staff!

And what about the Vizor putter?

And what about the Vizor putter?

Excellent question. I wish I could help you buddy. I'm sure as more folks get settled there will be some more feedback.

All around Wilson Staff really did it for this time. Again. This company really knows how to put out a kick @ss product and there are some clubs that would probably be in my bag immediately. I used this time to hit clubs I wouldn't normally and boy was I happy I did. Here is what I got to hit from Wilson Staff.

FG Tour Irons:
I found these to have a great ballflight that was lower than most of the other irons I hit. It wasn't low to me and seemed to go pretty far. As forgiving as you can get for players irons these had it. If you're not consistantly on the center I don't know how much these would help a golfer. But if you are these should be on your short list. I wouldn't game them because I cannot consistant put the swing I would need but they were one of the best looking irons imo at the demo day as well. A nice shot felt/sounded like nothing.

FG Tour Wedges:
Probably the one part of their line up I wasn't crazy about. They didn't feel bad but I didn't really get any type of feel from them. I even got to use these during the little chip off we had Sunday night and while it seemed to work, it just didn't grab me. On short chips the ball felt somewhat dead on the club face. Now when Hawk was tearing up the Champs course he had these along. They are more than capable of great shots as I saw from Hawk.

DXI Hybrid:
Huge fan of the original hybrid and I was really excited to try these. They felt like almost nothing when you hit the ball. Not a dead feel but like, I just crushed that ball sound/feel. The ball just really looked like it rocketed off the face and had a high penetrating flight. I liked the looks of these as well. They were really solid and easy to hit.

DXI Driver:
Holy crap. Like DDEC said, we could not work the ball lol. Basically what I mean is we couldn't miss. I don't know if I could work the ball with a driver right now haha. The shaft worked well for me and I think I hit one bad shot that still went straight. Much shorter but straight. The sound/feel was different. More of a thud but Ill be Coolbreezes' hair if it wasn't one of the longer drivers I hit that weekend. Extremely forgiving. I'm talking even if it was shorter than other drivers, it'd probably be on the top 3 list. I'd put this up against any driver out there and I just have a feeling it would consistantly be more on point than most of the drivers. Anyone who struggles off the tee needs to give this one a look.

Di11 Irons - Long and very high launching! These were some of the longest and most forgiving irons I hit all day at demo day.

The W/S clubs were some of my favorite at the demo day. They were all good. Im testing the Di11's so Im not going to get into them.
DXI Driver - I was very surprised with this club. I think this was the straightest driver I hit of them all. It had an interesting sound and feel to it too. Nothing bad just different. But man was it straight and fairly long too.
FG Tour Irons - Not for me. Not easy to hit and very unforgiving. But they look great.
FG Tour Wedges - Didnt really care for the FG wedges.
DXI FW Woods - Really really good. Just like the driver was. Id game the FW right along with the driver.
DXI Hybrids - Yep, these were good too. Really all of the DXI stuff was good. This was one of the hybrids I really liked as it was easy to hit and decent looking too.

I'm a big fan of Wilson Staff - glad to hear the positive comments.

I previously posted a review of the FG tour wedge, and I had a lot of success with it. Seems like for most others the feedback is just "Eh".

I previously posted a review of the FG tour wedge, and I had a lot of success with it. Seems like for most others the feedback is just "Eh".

For me there were lots of other wedges Id pick before it. But the other W/S stuff was very good. The DXI driver is in my head.

DXI driver--Point and shoot is basically what this driver should say on the shaft. Heck don't even bother hitting it. Just get in your cart and drive down into the middle of the fairway to place your ball. Surprise hit for me
FG Tour Irons--I liked these a lot. When I put a good swing on them I was able to hit whatever shot I wanted. Not too difficult to hit but just a little too demanding for my swing. Good ballstrikers should give these a chance though.
DXI FW--As good as the driver. I'm pondering.
DXI hybrid--Easily in the top 3 for me. Very easy to hit and the ball jumped off the face. Really liked the sound coming off the face.

All in all I will say W/S was one of the top performers of the demo day for me. Great clubs from top to bottom

Honestly most of the wedges kind of got lost for me. I didn't even realize they were around until a little later.

Well, I mentioned something in the Di11 thread but I can mention it here as well.

Coolbreeze brought his set of irons down so I spent some time on the range with him and his irons. It was kind of him to let me hit them and ironically, his have been fit to him at 1/2'' longer and 2* upright, which is ideal for me. He was begging me to try the Gap wedge so I started with it. Two words: holy shat! What an incredible iron. It looks great at address, it launches the ball high and it just goes. I couldn't believe how effortless I was swinging and how awesome the results were. I immediately pulled the 4 iron and started ripping balls with it. I cannot for the life of me remember what shaft he has in his irons but they were stepless and they worked wonderfully.

No joking, if I could have a set at my doorstep tomorrow, I'd take them. Wilson Staff has really impressed me over the past two golf seasons and I really wish that more people would give their products a chance.

I would like to than W/S for sending a wonderful amount of equipment to the demo day. I know that their products were highly sought after.

Very sought after. So sought after, I never got to hit any of them. I had the Di11s in hand, but that's when we ran out of balls. I was about to wait, but my launch monitor time came up so I had to put them down and just never got a chance to try them out again.

Should I buy the Di11's from LBlack14 on here? Ahhhh, so torn.

could someone call and see if smoothduffer is ok,something has to wrong with him,not responding to a w/s thread?

could someone call and see if smoothduffer is ok,something has to wrong with him,not responding to a w/s thread?

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

On topic though, good to see the feedback. I love my DXI's with the Miya's in them now, just a solid hybrid head though for sure.

Back