I'm in the same boat MDbusch. 5 days now!! Its the worse when you do something that you normally have a cigarrete with. Like after a meal or the daily drive to work. Hang in there!

Yep, you've got to change your habits. I had to avoid ALL situations where I smoked. Drinking, after eating, during a frustrating day, with my buds at work! One thing that helps in NJ and NY is that there is no smoking in bars or restaurants now! It makes a BIG difference.

Yesterday was a long day. Not from quitting smoking, but I really think the lack of caffeine had a larger effect on me than I though it would. No headaches or anything like that, but I was drop dead tired all day. Exhausted, like I almost fell asleep at my desk in the shop. When I made my post last night at 7:30, it was because I knew I was going to bed soon after that. I think I was out cold by 8:30.

Yesterday was a long day. Not from quitting smoking, but I really think the lack of caffeine had a larger effect on me than I though it would. No headaches or anything like that, but I was drop dead tired all day. Exhausted, like I almost fell asleep at my desk in the shop. When I made my post last night at 7:30, it was because I knew I was going to bed soon after that. I think I was out cold by 8:30.

Can't smoke while you're sleeping! How's it going today?

So far so good. It was nice waking up and not sounding like I had a kazzoo stuck in my chest. It's still there, and I'm still hacking but not like I was.

So far so good. It was nice waking up and not sounding like I had a kazzoo stuck in my chest. It's still there, and I'm still hacking but not like I was.

Stay strong Matt, we're all pulling for you. You've got this!

Good reports Matt, you know you have all of us for support, I know you will make it. As mentioned it is a one day at a time journey, and we will be here with you everyday. Proud of you my friend.

Good Luck Matt. I've never smoked but my dad quit cold turkey after smoking Lucky Strikes for about 25 years. I remember he would wake up and hack up who knows what in the morning. That was 34 years ago and I believe he is only here today because of that decision. Congrats to all who have beat it. Keep the faith Matt- I'm pulling for you.

Good first day buddy!

Good Job Matt.
You won't even be thinking about it after a few more days.
The first day or two is the toughest.
It's about finding new routines that don't involve smoking.

Good Job Matt.
You won't even be thinking about it after a few more days.
The first day or two is the toughest.
It's about finding new routines that don't involve smoking.

Boy do I wish that were true for me. I've been through this enough timnes already that I know it's going to be quite some before I don't think about it at all.

I just took the mind over matter approach.
I convinced myself that I no longer needed them, wanted them or wanted to be around them.

Everytime I got the urge, popped a candy and tried to do something that would distract myself.
My wife loved it because in the first few weeks after I quit - I built a paver patio, put in new kitchen cabinets (although she was ticked I spent the $$ on those) and repainted most of the rooms in the house.

Day two, up until now was pretty easy. Since I got home, it's been pretty rough! Wife is out for a while, but her smokes are on her desk. Gonna have to have a chat with her about that. The other part of my quit plan was to go outside and swing a club when I was having a rough time. That's not a good plan in a lightning storm though. Just gonna have to ride this one out!

Stay tough buddy! What does not kill us, makes us stronger (and healthier), right?!?!

Sent from my Tapatalk!

That was close! Not only was I wanting a smoke to begin with, but then I look down and my wedding band is missing from my finger! Can you say STRESSED?

I grabbed my TS 7i and went outside to take just a couple stress relieving strokes in the yard. I almost never play with my ring off so I'd removed it out of habit. 20 minutes of frantic searching later and Dina found it on my desk with my ball marker on top of it! Best part is I'm so thankful the ring reappeared, I don't want to smoke.

Your wife smokes but she isn't quitting? :angry: Makes it so much easier to comply when its two people doing it.

Your wife smokes but she isn't quitting? :angry: Makes it so much easier to comply when its two people doing it.

I agree but I can't force her to quit, and I certainly can't tie my quitting success to hers (or vice versa). I made it through the hard patch, and just asked her to ensure that I would not be able to see, or find her smokes. Kind of feel childish asking her to hide something from me, but that's where I am at the moment. She agreed and supports it. So, I shouldn't have to see smokes lying around any more.

Good stuff Matt. A supportive spouse will take you far

Way to stay strong Matt! I know it's tough having another person around smoking but I agree that you can't force her anymore than she could force you. Maybe she will follow your lead one day. Two days down! Before you know it you will have a week without one!

I agree but I can't force her to quit, and I certainly can't tie my quitting success to hers (or vice versa). I made it through the hard patch, and just asked her to ensure that I would not be able to see, or find her smokes. Kind of feel childish asking her to hide something from me, but that's where I am at the moment. She agreed and supports it. So, I shouldn't have to see smokes lying around any more.

Whatever it takes, just keep it up.

Good for you brother, one day at a time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep up the good work. You can do it. My wife had quit several years before I did. She had to go through a second withdrawal when I quit. LOL!

One day at a time md.

I made this post to add some accountability to myself while quitting. So, in that spirit, I have to tell the truth. This morning at 4:30 I had a hiccup in my quit. I had two drags off from a smoke. It tasted like crap, and I could immediately feel my lungs filling up with junk. I'm aggravated with myself that I have to start over, but that is what I'm going to do.

Good for you for owning up to your hiccup. At least it didn't taste good and you stopped at two drags. Now back to business! You can do it Matt!

Back