Hottest temp in which you'll walk a round?

dannyka

Reaction score
Handicap
11.0 GHIN
We're heading into the hottest days of the year so far here in Utah. Luckily, it's nice and dry so I will probably venture out and walk the round this weekend, especially if I can get out a little earlier. I have walked rounds where the temp has been in the high 90's before, and that's what I have to look forward to this weekend if I can't get out early in the day. That's probably my upper limit though. At that point, I'm thinking more about the heat and how not to collapse than I am about playing golf, so it's no longer fun. :sweat:

What's the highest temp you've walked a round in or are willing to walk a round in?

What temperature do I have to stop wearing shorts in? Because that's the answer to the question! I don't play if I can't wear shorts! (Usually) And I always take a cart.

We do have an executive course here that has no carts, so you have to walk. I would say if it's humid and miserable, it's too hot. I'd say anything over a heat index of 95.

I wouldn't go out if it was above about 95 here. Even then I would need to prepare by drinking a ton of water. It gets really humid here.

I think I care more about humidity. I can deal with heat but when the wind is hot I can't handle it for too long as long as I have a good round then I can play in the heat. But usually I try to avoid the heat and rain at all costs

Last week when I played Wynn in Las Vegas it got up to 105. Of course that is a dry heat. I tend to walk a lot between shots and allow my cart mate to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here in Georgia with the humidity being what it is, somewhere around 85-88*. Those temps will feel like the mid 90's and walking in a sauna.

I walked 18 Wednesday in the low nineties and when done wished I had taken a cart, it was too hot and not that enjoyable with the high humidity we currently have. Thursday we took carts in high nineties with a feels like 103 heat index (per weatherman) after hole twelve I was just going through the motions it was too hot! When we got back to the clubhouse we sat in the shade with one of the course workers whose duties for the day were to watch players for heat issues and he had hauled three walkers off who couldn't finish their round due to the heat. I know summer has just started but I hate to say I am ready for fall, it is fricking hot here this week.

Most courses in Vegas have Carts included in the greens fee. I think they don't want to get sued by someone passing out on the course.
Its a shame because I used to walk all the time.

I have not walked during a round of golf in years so the temp outside is not in the equation! It's not that I am lazy. I love to go to the gym and workout with both cardio & weights but nope, I do not walk on the golf course.

I played two days ago and the temp was 95. By about the 12th hole it seemed more like work than fun.

I played two days ago and the temp was 95. By about the 12th hole it seemed more like work than fun.

And that my friend is the best measure of all. When it is not fun, it is too hot.

I will only walk the course when it's below 75. I'm too spoiled.

I used to play goalie in a summer dek hockey league, so I'm pretty sure I can handle whatever on the golf course where I don't have to wear pads. :)

Walked today in 99º with 50% Humidity. HI was ~103º.

If it gets into the high nineties 98 or 99 with heat index 105 or more I will get a cart, low nineties or index under 100 I'm walking. It doesn't bother me much. Highest temp I have walked, probable a few summers ago in Oregon, walked and carried. It was over 100 when we finished but it was very low humidity so it didn't seem all that hot. Main thing to remember is drink lots of water whether it is humid or not.

Most courses in Vegas have Carts included in the greens fee. I think they don't want to get sued by someone passing out on the course.
Its a shame because I used to walk all the time.

just moved to Vegas 3 weeks ago and looks like I have no need for my clicgear since the carts come with the green fees

I walk a lot here and there are days when the heat index is around 105 - 110. I just make sure I've got plenty of water/powerade to get me through. Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but there are times when I feel like I would much rather be doing something else rather than spending several hours in the heat.

I always ride now due to old knees and cranky back. My league played a few weeks ago in 102 degree heat - its a 55+ league with most of the guys over 60 and some guys over 80 years old.

I'll walk till its about 25*c after that its just too hot to walk.

I've walked a couple of rounds in the lower 90's already this year, but any hotter and I'll take a cart.

103 with 98% humidity for me! I walk anything because it's the conditions I grew up in. I prefer 70's though :)

Never had a day too hot for me to play, and I always walk carrying my clubs. I think the highest temp I can remember playing at was 37 with a humidex in the mid to high 40s. Not sure exactly how that translates to Fahrenheit, but i believe 100*F is about 38 real degrees ;). I think that day I drank my 3, 700ml bottles of water I always have in my bag, plus a bottle of Gatorade on each 9. Stood and walked in the shade whenever possible, and it was fine (though the 25 minute bike ride home sucked lol).

If it's muggy then probably mid 80's.
If it's just hot then probably mid 90's

It all really depends on what the weather actually feels like versus what the temp says.

just moved to Vegas 3 weeks ago and looks like I have no need for my clicgear since the carts come with the green fees
Might keep it around in case you play any Par 3 or Executive courses. They might not have carts (some of them don't around here).

Never had a day too hot for me to play, and I always walk carrying my clubs. I think the highest temp I can remember playing at was 37 with a humidex in the mid to high 40s. Not sure exactly how that translates to Fahrenheit, but i believe 100*F is about 38 real degrees ;). I think that day I drank my 3, 700ml bottles of water I always have in my bag, plus a bottle of Gatorade on each 9. Stood and walked in the shade whenever possible, and it was fine (though the 25 minute bike ride home sucked lol).
Dang metric system, hahaha. I did understand the minutes though!

Back