Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

My second day with the Nike VR Pro Combos started at 7 am Thursday. Two buckets of balls, 8 irons and a putter. I had decided I was going to take my time at the range and really pay attention to what was happening. Here is how it went down.

PW, 9i, 8i

I started this session in the grass and immediately dialed in the PW at 140-145. Extremely accurate when well struck (90%). Within 1-5 yds of target flag. Pretty much the same with the 9i except distance was about 155 with a well struck ball. I am known to really chunk a divot when trying to get a good spinning ball, but the sole of these clubs seem to cut a very thin fine line through both turk and dirt. I still getting a divot, but only about the size of a dollar bill and very thin. The 8i was landing at about 160 with a good bounce and roll of close 10 – 15 yds. Didn’t seem to spin as much and I was actually trying. Can’t really say why. Spent a few minutes and a few extra balls but had the same results. I did not have near as many mishits, actually only 2-3 by the time I put away the blades. Feeling good except the roll with the 8. The height of these shots probably averaged 50 – 60 feet except when I intentionally tried to pop one up and they reacted well to almost 70 feet I would surmise. (There are times on one course, I find a lot of trees in my way and I go over them)

5i, 6i, 7i

My divots disappeared with these and so did some of my accuracy. The 7i was around 165 with some pretty good roll and the 6i seemed to really fly well to almost 180. I think I was really starting to loosen up and was getting that superb rifle sound that I have fallen in love with. Once again I grimaced almost in pain when I mishit one of these irons. I only hope my buddy CL does not experience it because I am sure it would be painful for him. Luckily I did not miss many. My dispersion on well struck shots was a bit wide, probably 25 – 30 yards I may have been not as focused as I should have been as it was starting to get warm. The ball flight was a beautiful arc topping out between 35 and 40 feet off the ground. The 5 iron was a money club for me this morning. I was blasting this club 190+ and I kept all of my shots (maybe 12) within 8 yards of one another. This was a lot of fun.

3i, 4i

I picked up the 4 thinking that I could just keep the swing going and all would be ok. For the most part it was. Interestingly, I was hitting this about 190 as well but got a bit more roll out, not much but some. I did not hit a lot with this club and soon went to work with the 3i. This club was very nice to me and I was going 200 – 210 with average dispersion (15-20yds.) I think I only hit 11 balls, but connected solidly on all but one. I was very pleased with this session as things were definitely becoming apparent. I can hit the long clubs and with a bit of focus, I can reduce or eliminate those dreaded toe shots that sting a bit.

It was off to the grill for some brunch and then I would have a go at 18 holes with irons and putter only. This would actually become 27 holes as I was having a great day and did not want to stop. But I will post the synopsis of that in a little while. Look forward to getting a few questions, so let em rip!

Good feedback Beowulf - I am interested to see if you get a better spin/check up response from the actual course greens on that 8 iron. I do not have much spin in my game but my shots with the blades are checking up VERY nicely (like all within 5 feet of landing) but I also hit a higher shot than most.

Look forward to the 27 hole writeup!

Just got done with a good range session and some short game practice.

I am still highly impressed with the short iron blades, and have written many comments about them so I am going to focus this write up on the pocket and split cavity irons. I also focused most of my range session this way. Today was pretty windy and the wind was pretty much directly in my face, so distance wasn't as usual but I focused mainly on ball striking and shot shape.

Split cavity (5,6,7) - these clubs are very easy to hit, and have been pleasantly accurate. Taking a divot with these is a breeze, but they don't dig deep. I am still seeing pretty high ball flight, which normally is fine, but hurt my distances today. I prefer a mid-high ball flight so this shaft and head combo is working great for that. Ball striking was good today and only had a few mis hits. When you do miss, you know it, but I appreciate that and it seems to help me focus on hitting the middle of the face.

Pocket cavity (3,4) - getting better with these irons, and they are definitely growing on me. When hit well, they soar. It seems like the ball just keeps carrying. Again, when mis hit, you instantly know it. These are not as forgiving as I expected them to be with the pocket cavity, but then again they are part of a "players" iron set and thus have pretty small heads. All in all I am happy with these and have figured out how to hit them pretty well. I believe with a little more work, these will be excellent "weapons" in my bag.

Side note - I took a few pictures, but will not be able to upload them until late tonight after I get off work (11pm pacific). The pictures are of the faces, and backs, of the clubs to show the wear I have put them through in the last week. I clean my clubs after practically every shot, but do not use iron covers while playing. Also, they are forged, so they are showing a little wear.

Not to sound like a broken record, but I am completely happy with this iron set. I can't thank Nike and THP enough for this opportunity.

Please ask any questions you have. I look forward to them, and love a fresh idea or perspective. Sometimes I kind of get the blinders on, so to speak, so I appreciate constructive criticism or comments. Also, if there is anything I can do to better test, or review, these clubs let me know.

Good feedback Beowulf - I am interested to see if you get a better spin/check up response from the actual course greens on that 8 iron. I do not have much spin in my game but my shots with the blades are checking up VERY nicely (like all within 5 feet of landing) but I also hit a higher shot than most.

Look forward to the 27 hole writeup!

+1. Great write up. I think you will get better spin on the course. Many things factor into this, but primarily the type of ball you play vs a range ball. Also, consider where the ball is landing, the range vs a manicured green. I know that I have gotten plenty of spin out of all of these clubs. Not so much that they spin back very far (as was the case with my previous set). These tend to hop and stop, or spin back just a hair. Much more predictable and consistent. Let us know if this is true for you.

Just got back from a range session. Overall, I am pretty happy with things but still a long ways to go. I broke up this session into basically the 3 different portions of the combo set.

Blades (8-PW):

These things are just absolutely amazing. Deadly accurate - I know us testers keep saying they are like throwing darts because that is what it looks and feels like out there. Love them more every time I get to hit them. They are so consistent in ball flight and distance. I started out with the PW and everything was dead at the practice pin that was 96 yards away and landing 100-105 consistently. I did not see more than a 5 or 6 yard dispersion side to side over 40 shots. I then started playing around with letting off a tad and was able to land balls consistently at about 90 yards. Practiced a few punch down shots and had no problems - I can definitely see playing some knock down PW's into the wind from 75 or 80 out without an issue.

I then moved onto the 8 iron. Again, very consistent with ball flight and distance. I did start to see the slightest of baby draws today with this club (like maybe moving 5 feet). I was carrying this about 140-145 today with about the same 5 -6 yard dispersion side to side. I still think I am leaving a bit out there with this club because I am hitting it consistently between the sweet spot and the toe. Here is a photo after 15 or 20 shots with the 8 iron:

IMG_0600.jpg

Split Cavity (5-7):

Today I focused solely on the 5 iron. I started off hitting everything just a tad off - they were mostly thin and flying pretty low and only carrying about 150. I then realized that I was hitting down on the ball rather than swinging through it and just letting the ball get in the way. Once that light bulb went off, things got much better. I started seeing a higher ball flight (but still about 30% lower than the 8i) and a consistent carry of 170 or so. My side to side dispersion was a good bit wider than the 8i or PW - probably more in the 20 yard range. Still trying to develop some comfort with the 5i and I can see it happening over time. Already had some decent success with the 6 & 7 irons hence my desire to work on the 5i today. Mostly off the toe again as you can see from the below image:

IMG_0601.jpg

Pocket Cavity (3 & 4i):

Worked only on the 3i today and it was not pretty. Started out hitting some fat, some thin, and topping some. Not sure what it is with me and these long irons but they are not getting along. Towards the end of the session my best shots were only carrying 180 max and dispersion was not good. They were not hooking or slicing but would be more of a dead push or pull but that could be caused by moving the ball around in my stance trying to find a way to hit this club. As you can see from the photo below, I was all over the place on the club face but more on the toe than anything. If I have a shot that requires a 180 or more carry tomorrow I would have a hard time pulling the 3i out...I just simply fear the result at this point. More range time in my future on these pocket cavities.

IMG_0602.jpg

Headed to play tomorrow so will see how these perform on the course - really liking the 6-PW right now and 5i is slowly coming around for me!!

Great update, even hitting it out of the toe you are getting good distance it seems.

Fantastic updates today guys! Keep them coming! I love all of the information you guys are providing!

MCOOK,

The marks on your blades are tight and really close to where you want them to be. Nice job! When I look at the split cavities, it looks like you are toeing alot of shots and the marks on the club are more spread. Finally the cavities look like you are all over. My question is, did you have the same issues with your previous set of irons? Do you have a plan to fix these issues? Stand closer? Move ball in stance?

MCOOK,

The marks on your blades are tight and really close to where you want them to be. Nice job! When I look at the split cavities, it looks like you are toeing alot of shots and the marks on the club are more spread. Finally the cavities look like you are all over. My question is, did you have the same issues with your previous set of irons? Do you have a plan to fix these issues? Stand closer? Move ball in stance?

Running out the door so wife is glaring at me! In my previous set I took the 4 & 5 irons out and was carrying the M5 so I can't say that I have experienced it before (but would not be surprised if I would have with those long irons). I will definitely be working on this at the range next week and trying anything and everything!!

Really interesting feedback on these so far. I still have not had the chance to get out and hit them at a local range, but some of the feedback is keeping me on the fence on whether it would be worth the $ to switch from my split cavities to these babies. I have always liked my stock grips, it is interesting that some think they get slick easy. I have played with mine in the rain before and they worked great!

Wow! Great stuff guys, I just spent over an hour catching up from the 4th. I found it funny that Jeff C said he was surprised there was not very much activity on this thread in one of the 1st posts I read because these last 4 days there have been a ton of posts with pics and videos. I have enjoyed everyones writeups and paulo I am pulling for you package to get there tomorrow, I know you must be dying. You guys have definitely changed my thoughts about Nike and they will be on my radar the next time I am looking for new irons. Keep up the good work.

Really interesting feedback on these so far. I still have not had the chance to get out and hit them at a local range, but some of the feedback is keeping me on the fence on whether it would be worth the $ to switch from my split cavities to these babies. I have always liked my stock grips, it is interesting that some think they get slick easy. I have played with mine in the rain before and they worked great!

I have a sweating disorder that makes my feet, hands, armpits sweat like crazy at all times. I've started to rock a rain glove, because it gets so bad, but I've had no problem with the grips slipping or losing tackiness. The grips do seem a little bit bigger than what I'm used to though.

Really great feedback mcook. I really like the pics of where you are hitting the club face. It really adds to the review.

Thanks for the pics Mcook, I like the visual.

I actually just got this set a week ago and played my first few rounds with them last weekend and I have to say I LOVE them. I found them to be better (for me) than the TM MC Tour Preferreds.

Another substantial session tonight with the new VR Pro Combo Irons. My steps were the following: 50 degree --> PW --> 8 iron --> 6 iron --> 6 iron (MP063) --> 4 iron --> 7 iron --> 8 iron --> 7 iron.... I know I know, what kind of crazy progression is that? Call it creative freedom..

I am going to say what most are saying, in that I really do enjoy hitting these clubs. They most certainly have a different feel than my Mizuno irons in both sound, striking the sweet spot, and maybe slightly different weighting, but I am still on the fence as to whether one has a distinct benefit from the other. Many of my shots have a distinct ball flight, which per usual is mid to high in flight, with my best strikes offering a slight draw that I absolutely fell in love with. It was not as hot out tonight and the grips didn't falter in any way shape or form. I usually like to have a logo on the grip where my lower hand is, but it really wasn't a huge deal.

Some have mentioned distance loss, but I can't speak on that just yet. I will be playing at least two full rounds this weekend, so I can certainly weigh in after that, but I am fairly certain my distances are as good if not better than what I am used to, with many of my clubs dropping one degree in loft from my current set. Time will certainly tell.

With all that said, I have a few videos I'd like to share if you're interested in how the club sounds when striking the ball.

6 iron with comments following all hits:

[youtube]pWqAV9Ek_AA[/youtube]

4 iron with comments following all hits:

[youtube]Wt7hhhvQ--I[/youtube]

7 iron without comments:

[youtube]tleAQG0DqRQ[/youtube]

More to come this weekend!!!! Thank you again :thp: and :nike:!!!! I am having a blast doing this!!

Another substantial session tonight with the new VR Pro Combo Irons. My steps were the following: 50 degree --> PW --> 8 iron --> 6 iron --> 6 iron (MP063) --> 4 iron --> 7 iron --> 8 iron --> 7 iron.... I know I know, what kind of crazy progression is that? Call it creative freedom..

I am going to say what most are saying, in that I really do enjoy hitting these clubs. They most certainly have a different feel than my Mizuno irons in both sound, striking the sweet spot, and maybe slightly different weighting, but I am still on the fence as to whether one has a distinct benefit from the other. Many of my shots have a distinct ball flight, which per usual is mid to high in flight, with my best strikes offering a slight draw that I absolutely fell in love with. It was not as hot out tonight and the grips didn't falter in any way shape or form. I usually like to have a logo on the grip where my lower hand is, but it really wasn't a huge deal.

Some have mentioned distance loss, but I can't speak on that just yet. I will be playing at least two full rounds this weekend, so I can certainly weigh in after that, but I am fairly certain my distances are as good if not better than what I am used to, with many of my clubs dropping one degree in loft from my current set. Time will certainly tell.

With all that said, I have a few videos I'd like to share if you're interested in how the club sounds when striking the ball.

7 iron without comments:

More to come this weekend!!!! Thank you again :thp: and :nike:!!!! I am having a blast doing this!!

I'll tell you tomorrow which ones you are better with lol

Dan, that's some great video feedback. I hate you and your fluid swing, btw ;)

Dan, I enjoyed watching the videos. Great swing and that sound off the clubs is divine!

Dan, that's some great video feedback. I hate you and your fluid swing, btw ;)

Dan, I enjoyed watching the videos. Great swing and that sound off the clubs is divine!

I was wondering what real good would come from just showing a swing vid, but I am glad you guys are enjoying. Hawk, I am truly humbled by your hate good sir.

Biggsy, I agree, the crisp sound when this club is struck well is awesome. I took my Mizuno 6 iron to compare but really didn't get a good read, because I hit a couple and dumped it quickly to move on to the 4 iron of the Nike set. Eventually I'll get a good comparison in, but right now, I am just feeling these irons.

Enjoyed the videos and comments C, and I agree, your swing is very fluid and very good.

I was wondering what real good would come from just showing a swing vid, but I am glad you guys are enjoying. Hawk, I am truly humbled by your hate good sir.

Biggsy, I agree, the crisp sound when this club is struck well is awesome. I took my Mizuno 6 iron to compare but really didn't get a good read, because I hit a couple and dumped it quickly to move on to the 4 iron of the Nike set. Eventually I'll get a good comparison in, but right now, I am just feeling these irons.
I can tell you confidence is sky high with them and the trajectory looked really nice as well.

So I have gone to the range twice now with the Nikes. I’ve hit them pretty well both times so I decided I needed to hit the course. Severe thunderstorm rolled through right before my tee time and it soaked the course. We are talking rivers through the fairways soaked. I’m playing anway! Threesome tees off before me and I go out as a single. I will catch them on the 2nd hole and play the rest of the round with them. I only mention this because:

1st hole—333—Nice straight ahead opening Par 4. Take 3W and put one right down the middle leaving me 100 yards to the hole. Pull PW as the first iron I will officially hit from the Pro Combos on the course. As I step up to the ball the Ranger is driving up and stops next to my cart. I take my swing and hit what looks like a real nice shot. Lands about 5 feet left of the pin and spins right. I take my eyes off it and walk over to the ranger. He just wanted to tell me that it was cart path only today. So I drive up to the green and I don’t see my ball. I see the ball mark pin high but no ball. Walk up to fix my ball mark and notice the ball is in the hole! First swing with the irons and it goes in the hole for eagle. Can’t beat that start. 2

2nd hole—293—Another short Par 4. Hit 3W again but this time pull it just a little left. Get to my ball and I have 80 yards left. Pull GW and hit a nice ¾ shot to 15 feet. Just miss the putt and tap in for 4

3rd hole—136—Was playing more like 150. Grabbed the 8I for my 2nd official shot with the irons. Hit a high towering shot that just disappears over the ridge on the green. I thought it might have gone long. Drive up to the green and my ball is plugged directly behind the flag about 7 feet away. Literally plugged all the way into the green. Fix the ball mark and miss the putt. Tap in for 3

4th hole—375—Tight driving hole with a fairway that runs out at about the 270 mark. I pull Mashie and hit it on the left side of the fairway. Downhill 150 yards left I pull 8I. Hit a towering dead straight shot that leaves 15 feet pin high to the right. Leave the first putt 3 feet short but drain the 2nd for 4

5th hole—357—Hit driver right down the middle. I am left with 135 to the hole. I decide to go with a full 9. Hit a nice shot but just a little long to the back of the green. Just miss the lag putt and tap in for 4

6th hole—144—Hit a ¾ 8I to 20 feet. Birdie putt is woefully short. My 2nd putt lips out and I tap in for 4. I’m pissed as I know this is my first bogey. I begin to notice I’ve got a good front side going. I also notice that I’ve hit every iron shot flush

7th hole—450—Short Par 5 with a bunker guarding the dogleg right. Cutting the corner means going right over this bunker. I pull my tee shot a little left but in the fairway. I’ve got 205 left to the pin. I pull 3I. I don’t normally take a practice swing. I had noticed on the range that the 3I felt a little funny. As I make contact with the ball I feel something really weird with this club. Ball shoots off to the right but bounces off a tree and lands right near a creek in some tall grass. I’ll talk about it later but something is loose inside the shaft. Possibly a weight. Find my ball and take a mighty swipe with my LW. Ball lands about 8 feet behind the flag and stops dead. Drain the birdie putt for 4

8th hole—363—Water short and right. Pull Mashie but pop it up just a little. Decide to try and hit a stinger with my 3I just as a practice shot. Once again I feel the weirdness but the shot was fine. I ask my playing partners to turn the shaft up and down and they feel it to. So I get up to my ball and I have 150 to the pin. Take 7I and hit a low cut that lands 8 feet left of the pin. Burn the edge with my putt and tap in for 4

9th hole—447—Short Par5 with a very tight driving area. Hit my drive right down the middle and have 210 to the hole. Try and hit a small Mashie but pull it short and left. Find it in the tall stuff and hit LW to about 20 feet. Leave the 1st putt short but drain the 4 footer for 5

Walk off the 9th green knowing that I just had the lowest 9 hole score of my life. Yes I played the White Tees but the course was soaked so I was getting no run out with my driver or 3W. Hit 6/7 FIR and 100% of GIR. My putting was alright but I had hit some 3-5 footers that saved par. Ecstatic with the irons so far I head to the back.

10th hole—341—Short dogleg left and the green is straight downhill after the drive. Chunk my Mashie and leave myself 195 yards to the pin. Pull 4I and hit a great shot that hops and stops 10 feet from the hole. I run the first putt 5 feet past. 2nd putt does a 360 around the hole but does not drop. I tap in for a bad 5.

11th hole—385—Dogleg left which is usually good for me. I hit the driver too straight this time but in the fairway. I’ve got 165 with a downhill lie. Take 6I but push it out to the right and a tad fat. I find the ball but it’s in a rocky area so I pick up and drop. Chip shot is bleh leaving me 20 feet. I just miss the putt and tap in for 6. I feel the round slipping away.

12th hole—379—Another dogleg left with bunkers straight out to the right of the fairway. Hit 3W but it doesn’t turn. Stops just before the last bunker. 150 left with a sidehill lie. I take 6I and try to keep it low and run it up there to the back of the green which is where the pin is. Ball comes off too high and it drifts left into a greenside bunker. Since it had rained the bunkers were horrid with water trails all in them. I am in one. I should have dropped out of it but I played the ball and hit a screamer that flew the green. My first chip was short. Second chip just missed hitting the cup. Hit the 5 footer for 6.

13th hole—323—Another dogleg left. This time the 3W does draw for me and it lands middle of the fairway. I’ve got 100 to the pin. I hit PW to 15 feet. Miss the 1st putt but hit the 3 footer coming back for 4

14th hole—144—Playing 155 so I pull 8I. Wind kicks up and I know I should go back and grab 7. Hit 8 instead and come up just a little short. My pitch just misses the cup and rolls 8 feet past. My putt is 3 feet short and I hit the 2nd one for a 4

15th hole—458—One of my favorite holes. Big lake right off the tee box and it’s about a 220 yard carry. Hit driver which doesn’t make it over by all that much. Lay up with a very nice 6I to 70 yards. Try a ¾ GW but it was too much club and goes to the back of the green. Nice lag putt that just misses going in and I tap in for 4

16th hole—141—Wind is kicking up just a little. Go with an 8I that I want to keep low. Hit a nice little shot that hops and stops about 10 feet from the pin. Leave the putt about an inch short and tap in for 3

17th hole—315—Pop up Mashie and I pull it slightly left. 130 left to the pin and I hit 9I which lands just on the front of the green. I am left with 50 feet. I hit a pretty good lag putt to 4 feet but miss the 2nd putt. Tap in for 5

18th hole—491—Pop up my drive just a little but in the middle of the fairway. Layup with 5I to the 100 yard marker. Hit PW to 8 feet but miss the putt. Tap in for 5

Walk off with mixed emotions. Great front 9 34 and a bleh back 9 43. Short course but a 77 is a 77. Hit the irons great all day. PW was the star of the show with an eagle hole out on its first shot. Hit maybe 2 poor iron shots all day and one of them was due to a broken club. 78.6% FIR and 83.3% GIR.

Not sure what to do with the 3I. I’ll ask JB if I should send it back to Nike. Definitely a weight that is sliding up and down the shaft. Not something you want to feel as you swing the club. Can’t really comment on the spin of the irons. Today the ball was hopping and stopping or even coming back a little. But that was probably because the greens were soaked after the deluge prior to the round. I have to say my confidence is soaring after this round. I don’t feel there is an iron in this set that I can’t hit well.

7 iron without comments:

So I have gone to the range twice now with the Nikes. I’ve hit them pretty well both times so I decided I needed to hit the course. Severe thunderstorm rolled through right before my tee time and it soaked the course. We are talking rivers through the fairways soaked. I’m playing anway! Threesome tees off before me and I go out as a single. I will catch them on the 2nd hole and play the rest of the round with them. I only mention this because:

1st hole—333—Nice straight ahead opening Par 4. Take 3W and put one right down the middle leaving me 100 yards to the hole. Pull PW as the first iron I will officially hit from the Pro Combos on the course. As I step up to the ball the Ranger is driving up and stops next to my cart. I take my swing and hit what looks like a real nice shot. Lands about 5 feet left of the pin and spins right. I take my eyes off it and walk over to the ranger. He just wanted to tell me that it was cart path only today. So I drive up to the green and I don’t see my ball. I see the ball mark pin high but no ball. Walk up to fix my ball mark and notice the ball is in the hole! First swing with the irons and it goes in the hole for eagle. Can’t beat that start. 2

2nd hole—293—Another short Par 4. Hit 3W again but this time pull it just a little left. Get to my ball and I have 80 yards left. Pull GW and hit a nice ¾ shot to 15 feet. Just miss the putt and tap in for 4

3rd hole—136—Was playing more like 150. Grabbed the 8I for my 2nd official shot with the irons. Hit a high towering shot that just disappears over the ridge on the green. I thought it might have gone long. Drive up to the green and my ball is plugged directly behind the flag about 7 feet away. Literally plugged all the way into the green. Fix the ball mark and miss the putt. Tap in for 3

4th hole—375—Tight driving hole with a fairway that runs out at about the 270 mark. I pull Mashie and hit it on the left side of the fairway. Downhill 150 yards left I pull 8I. Hit a towering dead straight shot that leaves 15 feet pin high to the right. Leave the first putt 3 feet short but drain the 2nd for 4

5th hole—357—Hit driver right down the middle. I am left with 135 to the hole. I decide to go with a full 9. Hit a nice shot but just a little long to the back of the green. Just miss the lag putt and tap in for 4

6th hole—144—Hit a ¾ 8I to 20 feet. Birdie putt is woefully short. My 2nd putt lips out and I tap in for 4. I’m pissed as I know this is my first bogey. I begin to notice I’ve got a good front side going. I also notice that I’ve hit every iron shot flush

7th hole—450—Short Par 5 with a bunker guarding the dogleg right. Cutting the corner means going right over this bunker. I pull my tee shot a little left but in the fairway. I’ve got 205 left to the pin. I pull 3I. I don’t normally take a practice swing. I had noticed on the range that the 3I felt a little funny. As I make contact with the ball I feel something really weird with this club. Ball shoots off to the right but bounces off a tree and lands right near a creek in some tall grass. I’ll talk about it later but something is loose inside the shaft. Possibly a weight. Find my ball and take a mighty swipe with my LW. Ball lands about 8 feet behind the flag and stops dead. Drain the birdie putt for 4

8th hole—363—Water short and right. Pull Mashie but pop it up just a little. Decide to try and hit a stinger with my 3I just as a practice shot. Once again I feel the weirdness but the shot was fine. I ask my playing partners to turn the shaft up and down and they feel it to. So I get up to my ball and I have 150 to the pin. Take 7I and hit a low cut that lands 8 feet left of the pin. Burn the edge with my putt and tap in for 4

9th hole—447—Short Par5 with a very tight driving area. Hit my drive right down the middle and have 210 to the hole. Try and hit a small Mashie but pull it short and left. Find it in the tall stuff and hit LW to about 20 feet. Leave the 1st putt short but drain the 4 footer for 5

Walk off the 9th green knowing that I just had the lowest 9 hole score of my life. Yes I played the White Tees but the course was soaked so I was getting no run out with my driver or 3W. Hit 6/7 FIR and 100% of GIR. My putting was alright but I had hit some 3-5 footers that saved par. Ecstatic with the irons so far I head to the back.

10th hole—341—Short dogleg left and the green is straight downhill after the drive. Chunk my Mashie and leave myself 195 yards to the pin. Pull 4I and hit a great shot that hops and stops 10 feet from the hole. I run the first putt 5 feet past. 2nd putt does a 360 around the hole but does not drop. I tap in for a bad 5.

11th hole—385—Dogleg left which is usually good for me. I hit the driver too straight this time but in the fairway. I’ve got 165 with a downhill lie. Take 6I but push it out to the right and a tad fat. I find the ball but it’s in a rocky area so I pick up and drop. Chip shot is bleh leaving me 20 feet. I just miss the putt and tap in for 6. I feel the round slipping away.

12th hole—379—Another dogleg left with bunkers straight out to the right of the fairway. Hit 3W but it doesn’t turn. Stops just before the last bunker. 150 left with a sidehill lie. I take 6I and try to keep it low and run it up there to the back of the green which is where the pin is. Ball comes off too high and it drifts left into a greenside bunker. Since it had rained the bunkers were horrid with water trails all in them. I am in one. I should have dropped out of it but I played the ball and hit a screamer that flew the green. My first chip was short. Second chip just missed hitting the cup. Hit the 5 footer for 6.

13th hole—323—Another dogleg left. This time the 3W does draw for me and it lands middle of the fairway. I’ve got 100 to the pin. I hit PW to 15 feet. Miss the 1st putt but hit the 3 footer coming back for 4

14th hole—144—Playing 155 so I pull 8I. Wind kicks up and I know I should go back and grab 7. Hit 8 instead and come up just a little short. My pitch just misses the cup and rolls 8 feet past. My putt is 3 feet short and I hit the 2nd one for a 4

15th hole—458—One of my favorite holes. Big lake right off the tee box and it’s about a 220 yard carry. Hit driver which doesn’t make it over by all that much. Lay up with a very nice 6I to 70 yards. Try a ¾ GW but it was too much club and goes to the back of the green. Nice lag putt that just misses going in and I tap in for 4

16th hole—141—Wind is kicking up just a little. Go with an 8I that I want to keep low. Hit a nice little shot that hops and stops about 10 feet from the pin. Leave the putt about an inch short and tap in for 3

17th hole—315—Pop up Mashie and I pull it slightly left. 130 left to the pin and I hit 9I which lands just on the front of the green. I am left with 50 feet. I hit a pretty good lag putt to 4 feet but miss the 2nd putt. Tap in for 5

18th hole—491—Pop up my drive just a little but in the middle of the fairway. Layup with 5I to the 100 yard marker. Hit PW to 8 feet but miss the putt. Tap in for 5

Walk off with mixed emotions. Great front 9 34 and a bleh back 9 43. Short course but a 77 is a 77. Hit the irons great all day. PW was the star of the show with an eagle hole out on its first shot. Hit maybe 2 poor iron shots all day and one of them was due to a broken club. 78.6% FIR and 83.3% GIR.

Not sure what to do with the 3I. I’ll ask JB if I should send it back to Nike. Definitely a weight that is sliding up and down the shaft. Not something you want to feel as you swing the club. Can’t really comment on the spin of the irons. Today the ball was hopping and stopping or even coming back a little. But that was probably because the greens were soaked after the deluge prior to the round. I have to say my confidence is soaring after this round. I don’t feel there is an iron in this set that I can’t hit well.

Solid feedback here.

Great feedback Canadan and CL. I think these irons are edging into the lead at the moment for me

Back