US Womens Open Contest & Thread [Spoilers]

Ryu drains it for bird. Two shot swing.

Ryu's tee shot: right down the middle.
Seo's tee shot: right down the middle.

Ryu in the center of the fairway. Beautiful drive.
Seo right there with her, a little shorter.

Seo's approach from 182 with a hybrid: back of the green.
Ryu's approach from 179 with a 5-iron: looks like 5-feet.

Seo hits through the green, onto the back fringe. Long downhiller coming up.
Ryu hits an absolute beauty. This one is basically over.

Wow, Seo hit a pretty gorgeous putt. Tap in par.

Great two putt by Seo, but it won't be enough. Ryu birdies 18 to win the US Women's Open. Par, Biridie, Biridie. Fantastic golf.

Ryu drills it for the birdie and the win in style.

And they just wasted about 5 perfectly good bottles of champagne on Ryu's head. Those silly Koreans.

Wow - clutch golf from Ryu in regulation and OT - congrats to her!

The first thing out of her mouth was "Thanks for the God." haha

The first thing out of her mouth was "Thanks for the God." haha

At least they are trying. Many not from this country have an interpreter.

At least they are trying. Many not from this country have an interpreter.
Oh I know. I'm saying she's cute. Not dissing her at all, I'm a fan.

Oh I know. I'm saying she's cute. Not dissing her at all, I'm a fan.

Plus she's got an awesome name... Ryu. Hadoken!!!

Great win by Ryu, but also a great argument for an 18-hole playoff.

I understand that this was a unique situation with all of the weather delays but let's face it, Ryu had a distinct advantage having already played the very same three holes that would make up the playoff holes while Seo had to spend 14 hours thinking about things and only had a driving range for a warmup.

But I guess that's the way it goes sometimes and it was still a great tournament!

Great win by Ryu, but also a great argument for an 18-hole playoff.

I understand that this was a unique situation with all of the weather delays but let's face it, Ryu had a distinct advantage having already played the very same three holes that would make up the playoff holes while Seo had to spend 14 hours thinking about things and only had a driving range for a warmup.

But I guess that's the way it goes sometimes and it was still a great tournament!

Actually this is not a unique situation. The US Open for the ladies has had this rule in effect since 2007. I posted a link earlier this morning with the verbiage (I did not know about it until someone else said something and I went and looked it up).

Actually this is not a unique situation. The US Open for the ladies has had this rule in effect since 2007. I posted a link earlier this morning with the verbiage (I did not know about it until someone else said something and I went and looked it up).

I know that this format has been in place for a while but it was designed to name a winner on Sunday instead of Monday and really doesn't address the situation that unfolded during this year's event. The thing about it is that in an 18-hole playoff format, the "ice cold" clubhouse leader would have a chance to make a mistake such as Seo did on 17 and have the rest of the round to make up for it. What I'm saying is that in this particular situation, where the leader is in the clubhouse and the rest of the field has to finish the next day, if there's a tie and then a playoff, the one who tied has already "played golf" while the clubhouse leader has been cooling her heels for 14 hours and only has the driving range.

We all know that it takes about three holes to get into the feel of the course, the round, our swing, and so on and in this case, Ryu had that opportunity while Seo didn't and in this particular situation I believe that the three-hole format gave a distict advantage to Ryu.

I keep seeing headlines for RYU wins and all I can think of is:
Spoiler
Street_Fighter_Ryu_Wallpaper_by_Asiancat.png

Congrats on the win, I was sad I didn't get to see too much of this tournament this year, an amazing course though.

We will announce the contest winner tomorrow.

I know that this format has been in place for a while but it was designed to name a winner on Sunday instead of Monday and really doesn't address the situation that unfolded during this year's event. The thing about it is that in an 18-hole playoff format, the "ice cold" clubhouse leader would have a chance to make a mistake such as Seo did on 17 and have the rest of the round to make up for it. What I'm saying is that in this particular situation, where the leader is in the clubhouse and the rest of the field has to finish the next day, if there's a tie and then a playoff, the one who tied has already "played golf" while the clubhouse leader has been cooling her heels for 14 hours and only has the driving range.

We all know that it takes about three holes to get into the feel of the course, the round, our swing, and so on and in this case, Ryu had that opportunity while Seo didn't and in this particular situation I believe that the three-hole format gave a distict advantage to Ryu.

Gotcha...and that makes complete sense! I can see where Ryu had the advantage given that she was already on the course and in a groove.

Good advice again by Miller. "Don't hit it fat. Or thin."

Guess who said it: "There's a possibility of a two shot swing if Ryu gets birdie and Seo gets a six."

Johnny and Dottie are a match made in heaven.

I keep seeing headlines for RYU wins and all I can think of is:
Spoiler
Street_Fighter_Ryu_Wallpaper_by_Asiancat.png

Congrats on the win, I was sad I didn't get to see too much of this tournament this year, an amazing course though.

What gets said after a "Mortal Kombat" victory?

Did anyone know that Hee Kyung Seo was the 30th ranked player and So-Yeon Ryu was ranked 40th in the Rolex Rankings before this event?

Despite all the weather delays, it was a great tournament. Drama everyday. While it's fun to watch Rory, this year, and Tiger, in 97, lap the field, it's more enjoyable when it seems like every hole, every shot matters. It's a real shame that ladies sports are so "second tier". I was actually very surprised that NBC continued coverage after the Sunday weather delay. Maybe that has something to do with their relationship, now, with The Golf Channel. I wonder if post-5PM (CST) coverage would've happened if that relationship didn't exist?

Ryu and Seo are quite the cuties. Even my wife was mentioning that. I'm glad she did. Then, I could actually voice my opinion, in agreement, about them as well. HAHA!

It presents another quandary for the LPGA executives on promoting the sport. These 2 S. Korean girls or versus an angry, American Christy Kerr. Or, Stanford (local TCU girl), who is a very nice lady with a great attitude. But, she's not exactly going to be on any posters anytime soon. Creamer has a decent tourney, considering she has the extra pressure of defending. And, I'm sure they can't wait for Wei to graduate so she can golf full-time and hope her career takes off. Maybe the Ryann O'Toole marketing campaign gets ramped up now. The rookie is showing some game.

I had a decent team for the first 2 rounds, and then they disappeared. I was off on the tiebreaker by 2 shots as well. Can't wait to see who wins tomorrow. This was a great tournament to watch, although I agree there should have been some different way to do the playoff. I can't imagine having gone that long without being on the course, and then warming up on the range thinking, I've got 3 holes to win this thing. Tough situation, but a good tournament nonetheless.

Awesome pics DD! Congrats!

Congrats DD! Great picks!

Back