Are you staying/getting up for the Open?

Are you staying/getting up for the Open?

• HECK YES! 4 ET!

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Heck no, your crazy

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • DVRing it

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Checkin in on it later

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • Not watching at all

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters
This is one of the good things about living in England. 10:20am, in work and watching The Open :act-up:

This is one of the good things about living in England. 10:20am, in work and watching The Open :act-up:

very nice being paid to watch the open ha ha

At work cuddled up in the tv room , hoping no one calls 911 for awhile

I tapatalk better then I golfatalk

Get up at usual time for a full days coverage

No cable at the house for now so watching 14, 15, and 16 online. Will have access to cable this weekend at the lake house thankfully.

I absolutely love that FlightTrack and wish they would do it more often.

no way i was able to get up with a new baby. need to get the sleep when I can. catching up now before I head out to work

DVR as with all other events.

I like watching that way because I can buzz past all the commercials and all of the other fluff and focus on the golf.

Right now, with a newborn in the house, we're getting little enough sleep as it is. No way I'm getting up early to watch golf. But I caught 30 minutes this morning before work and will catch replays later in the day and hopefully get to see more over the weekend - if the baby allows it. :)

Judging from scores alone looks like I haven't missed much, but waiting to see highlights later

I woke up this morning for it. Though I have to admit, I kept falling asleep, probably because I was still in bed trying to watch with the volume low.

Got up at 2, fixed some eggs benedict and made some mimosa's, set a tv tray up in the den and thoroughly enjoyed first round coverage. Will take a nap in a bit and then go play myself

Count me in as someone who was up at 4:30 CDT watching golf!!!.... Man, my wife looked at me weird. :cool:

Been getting up to watch. Thankful that the Thursday and Friday rounds were televised. It takes awhile to get used to what you are watching. These huge bunkers and massive greens and the amount of time the ball is bounding along the ground makes for a completely different game just to watch, never mind play. We only get to see this once a year. It just seems weird for awhile.

It does seem to me that taking care for where the ball is going to go once it hits the ground is something the players really have to get used to as it is not something they are doing all of the time. Wind direction seems to change very often and even disappears on occasion.

I don't know how much I would like playing these courses. I am sure I would like to try it but after the novelty wears off dealing with these monster long putts over big mounds and into valleys is not something I would be keen on for long. I have a pretty good sand game but I could see myself digging a real hole for myself when I inevitably got onto one of those things (pardon the pun).

Any links golf is how golf was meant to be. It most definately is not like the "target golf" that has become the norm for most pro comps.

If you have never played links golf it is one of those things to do before you die. I love it, but it really does show any weakness in short game.

Once you can get your head around the fact that the ball does not stop like normal and that very often you will be putting from 30yds short of the green the game becomes enjoyable.

If any of you guys coming to uk, try and play some of these gems.

Saunton, royal north devon, aberdovey, st enedoc, perranporth, pyle & kenfig, bridport & west dorset, the jubilee course at st andrews etc etc

sent using Tapatalk for Android

Target golf is typified I think by what you see at the TPC. While that is the polar opposite of a links golf course, tracks like TPC are not typical or common in the US. In fact if I am not mistaken part of what drives the target-like design of courses like TPC is the stadium seating. Each hole is designed to accommodate great sight lines and comfortable viewing from the kinds of seats you would normally find in a baseball stadium. While you are likely to see an island green at a TPC, that is not the norm for most US courses by any means. Even the pros don't like island greens.

Seaside weather aside, the uncertainty of where the ball might go once it hits the ground is maybe the biggest difference between most standard US courses and links courses. The fairways here have some character but for the most part are not as undulating and do not have as many lumps and bowls right in the middle of the fairway for the ball to carom off. Not as much character to the surface of greens here either. From what I can see, many of the those pot bunkers are actually hidden as well so you can land in one of those without knowing it was there until your ball is there. If I were in one of those at my height someone looking across the fairway might think there was a guy in there with a shovel trying to dig his way out. The only thing I might have going for me on a links course would be my ball flight.

Got up at 2, fixed some eggs benedict and made some mimosa's, set a tv tray up in the den and thoroughly enjoyed first round coverage. Will take a nap in a bit and then go play myself

Sounds like a good day!!

I think you're going to be predisposed to liking what you grew up with/what you're used to. I grew up with golf as the parkland course/pga style of golf. To me that's golf because that's how I learnt the game and that's the game i'm familiar with/see most often.

I've learned to appreciate links golf, learned to understand the quirkiness of it, but to me because that's not the game i'm familiar with, it's quirky.

I'll be up at 7 to get ready to head to Columbus, doubt I get to watch too much of it though

Rickie beat Rory so far..

put it away now bud :D

Back