• Breaking 85

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Breaking 80

Votes: 93 76.2%

• Total voters

HuskerFan24

Reaction score
Handicap
Being newer to the site and becoming more of a regular to the course, I was wondering what you all felt was the most difficult hurdle to clear? Also, what made the biggest impact on being able to clear the other hurdles to that point? I look forward to your answers!

• Breaking 95
  • Breaking 90
  • Breaking 85
  • Breaking 80

Being newer to the site and becoming more of a regular to the course, I was wondering what you all felt was the most difficult hurdle to clear? Also, what made the biggest impact on being able to clear the other hurdles to that point? I look forward to your answers!

• Breaking 95
  • Breaking 90
  • Breaking 85
  • Breaking 80

From a mental aspect? 80. Seeing a 7 as my lead number was something I was so proud of I wanted to show the world. Until I did it consistently of course. Now I struggle to break 80 on a day to day basis. Interesting how that works?

Breaking 80 for me. Getting into the 70's is just special in my eyes and I have only done it a few times. Finally focusing and practicing/playing enough that I can see it starting to happen more often.

And the biggest impact: eliminating big scores (doubles and above). Those kill a chance to break 80 really quick for me.

Breaking par

The ones that are above my chest...those things are impossible to get over.

:D

Breaking 85 is my goal this year.

Definately breaking the 80 barrier. Once that has been achieved you have a relatively consistent (by amateur standards) game and breaking 70 is then just around the corner.

Its been breaking 85.

In the past its been the short game stopping me. Now that it is manageable, im having driver issues thats stopping me. Just gotta keep plugging away at it

Breaking 80... You need to put a solid round together and avoir high numbers. Doing it consistently is the toughest part.

For me it's 85. I've done it 3 times. I've been ON 85 a bunch. It only takes a couple penalties and duffs to eliminate the possibility.

As someone who is currently trying to break 80 and is seeing 81, 80,82, everytime out I can honestly say its breaking 80. I didn't really think about breaking 100, or 90, as in my mind I thought I was better than that and didn't see those as milestones (maybe I should look at this that way too.)

As someone who is currently trying to break 80 and is seeing 81, 80,82, everytime out I can honestly say its breaking 80. I didn't really think about breaking 100, or 90, as in my mind I thought I was better than that and didn't see those as milestones (maybe I should look at this that way too.)

I think its breaking 80. Maybe its because I have done all of them without thinking about it, but this 80 is playing games with my head. I think I will break 80 by summers end.

Breaking 80.

The lower you go, the less the margin for error and the more difficult the task.

Definitely breaking 80. You can't afford mistakes and your short game has to be on!

well I'm looking at higher numbers for sure but goals make a difference!!

I was lucky enough to shoot an 83 the 2nd time I dropped under 90. I can't even fathom shooting sub 80 yet. I'm still very happy to shoot an 88.

Definitely breaking 80. You can't afford mistakes and your short game has to be on!

100% agree. I was well on for breaking 80 today but a triple on the 17th ruined it

It took me forever to break 90. And when I finally did, I shot 85, summer of 2008. So I've been working on 85 for 3 years, was working on 90 for 30!

My average score for a round is 85.6. I've broken 80 three times so far in my life with 2 78's and one 79.
The 80 barrier is definitely my goal every time I play.

Breaking par

Actually I think breaking 80 is harder than breaking par.

I've done both and when my game is on I'm a solid 70's shooter. But right now (after a long layoff), I'm trying to break 80 once again and I find the same old "tapes" playing which tend to focus on the usual "7 shots". To break 80 on a standard course (par 72), I only have a 7 shot margin of error so if I were to, say, double-bogey the sixth hole, I find myself thinking that I only have one shot left to play with otherwise I enter the "40" zone which to me is a sort of red line zone. Of course the back nine can feel the same way and if I'm overly sensitive to my scoring, it can become a distraction.

On the other hand, when I've broken par (I've never broken par for 18 holes; just several times for 9), I'm not thinking about any specific number because to me, when going low, there really is not target number like the "7 shots" associated with breaking 80. Many times, when I've shot, say, a 33 or 34 for nine holes, I often didn't really know how well I shot until I added up the score because I wasn't thinking about a score. But when trying to break 80, that 7 shot thing always seems to dominate my thinking and I tend to be more aware of it.

For me it usually looks something like the following

Seriously though, it's a moving target in my opinion. Once you break a hundred it becomes 90...then 80...

Breaking 80.

The lower you go, the less the margin for error and the more difficult the task.

Exactly my thoughts on this. Have shot 80 the past few rounds I have played. My biggest frustration during my last round was that I had a 3 putt, double bogey on the 2nd hole. After that, I knew I had 16 holes and only had 6 shots I could give up. That really got in my head...

yep, for me it's breaking 80.
i rarely play 18 holes is the problem i think.
i'm in the 30's probably 85% of the time when i play nine, but somehow i can never seem to pull out two solid sides, when i do play 18.
so i think the easy fix to that would be to play more full rounds of 18 and eventually...i'll break 80 every time.

For me, consistently breaking 90. I've been shooting all around the 90s, then earlier this year I shot an 85 and an 87. I then got new clubs, adjusted my swing and now the best I've been is 91 once. I'm still anywhere and everywhere in the 90s. Now that I've got some consistency in clubs hopefully I can get my swing grooved and then I should hopefully be able to consistently break 90.

I'm still yet to break 90 on a full 18. (I have shot in the low 40's on 9 multiple times though). Breaking 90 has been haunting me for years...

Back