Overall Best Region for Golf

anotherday

Reaction score
Which region of your county/state/country would you consider the overall best for golf?

Consider the following:

1) Quality of golf course (including grass conditions, *pace of play*, staff... )
2) Price
3) Intangibles (Views, signature holes...)

I'm from Southern California and I have to say that 90% of the time I go to a course I find that it is SLLLOOWWW. Prices can be reasonable but if you want to actually play a round of golf and not just get a 5 and a half hour golf tan then you will have to pay more.

I always hear about Florida and California for golf, but I just want to see if anyone else finds their neck of the woods as a better area for good golf.

Thanks in advance.

The Southeast.

I would say Florida overall due mainly to the weather. You can literally play 365 days a year....

Mexico man.. 365 day golf season

Southeast for sure. Florida has great resorts, Alabama has the RTJ Trail, Georgia has Augusta, I could go on and on.

FL, AZ, CA.

When you bring cost into the equation, it would be hard to beat FL and AZ though.

Maui.

No question.

Southeast for sure. Florida has great resorts, Alabama has the RTJ Trail, Georgia has Augusta, I could go on and on.

I tend to agree with Southeast but I've never played in Cali. However, The Augusta National is only open for a handful months during the year and not to the public. If it wasn't for The Masters no one would know anything about Augusta.

I tend to agree with Southeast. But... The Augusta National is only open for a handful months during the year and not to the public. If it wasn't for The Masters no one would know anything about Augusta.

Good point. For some reason, I have always had the impression that you are lucky enough to have played there, tell me I am wrong to save me from jealousy.

Gotta go with the Southeast, for all the above stated reasons. I have found some really nice places to play in NE Wisconsin (as well as in other states), where the price was right, the course was nice, and I practically had it to myself on several occasions, the season is just too darn short around here.

I love being able to play golf year-round in CA, but the trade off with the slow play and high prices is a pain. I actually drove out to Vegas the other day because during the summer months the deals on amazing courses are insane. 35 dollars for tee time, range balls, cart w/GPS (1 SkyCaddie per cart) was unbeatable. You just need to do what my drill sergeants always told us to do.. Beat the Heat!

Good point. For some reason, I have always had the impression that you are lucky enough to have played there, tell me I am wrong to save me from jealousy.

Nope I have never played it doubtful I ever will. Sadly....I can get on to play Pine Valley if I ever get to NJ but being only 1.5 hrs away from Augusta going to The Masters is as close as I will ever get.

Nope I have never played it doubtful I ever will. Sadly....I can get on to play Pine Valley if I ever get to NJ but being only 1.5 hrs away from Augusta going to The Masters is closest as I will ever get.

Yeah, I don't know why you gave me that vibe, lol. Just an intangible. Lemmee guess, you gotta know someone at pine valley to play?

Arizona and Florida get my vote.

I've lived in Alabama and Colorado. Not sure which one is better. Prices are maybe a little higher in CO, but the summer weather is amazing, and actually most of the winter. And it's awesome to hit monsters in that altitude!

The Southeast.

No doubt about that.

I would say Florida overall due mainly to the weather. You can literally play 365 days a year....

12 month golf calendar, gotta love being able to play in mid January and not worrying about having to pack on the layers.

Yeah, I don't know why you gave me that vibe, lol. Just an intangible. Lemmee guess, you gotta know someone at pine valley to play?

Yes. It's always in Top 5 of private courses in the US.

I'm saying it again, Maui or more generally Hawaii. If you can beat the views in Hawaii, you're probably dead and in heaven. Between Kapalua, Ka'anapali, and Grand Wailea, there are plenty of fantastic courses. Plus, it's Hawaii.

I'm saying it again, Maui or more generally Hawaii. If you can beat the views in Hawaii, you're probably dead and in heaven. Between Kapalua, Ka'anapali, and Grand Wailea, there are plenty of fantastic courses. Plus, it's Hawaii.

Curious if you have played out there?
One of the criteria in the OP was speed of play and price. In my time out there, neither of those things put that at the top of the list.

I think some folks are factoring cost into the equation buddy.

I prefer the Carolina's for golf, mostly because of the pine, but probably because I don't spend much time elsewhere..

It's a very uneducated opinion haha!

FL, AZ, CA.

When you bring cost into the equation, it would be hard to beat FL and AZ though.

Prices in the Pinehurst area of NC aren't bad either, and, there are some really beautiful golf courses to play here.

Curious if you have played out there?
One of the criteria in the OP was speed of play and price. In my time out there, neither of those things put that at the top of the list.

I've played Ka'anapali. I understand cost and pace of play are high and slow. It was dreadfully slow when I played out there. But, it's Hawaii. No reason to be in a hurry. Sip a Mai Tai and enjoy being alive. I know I could never live out there have to work for a living. But if I came into a fortune, I would most definately move out there and live the good life.

Prices in the Pinehurst area of NC aren't bad either, and, there are some really beautiful golf courses to play here.

Agreed. Still look at full 12 months a year golfing for it to be the best region. And while NC can get that some years, many years its not there.

I think some folks are factoring cost into the equation buddy.

I'm living in a dreamworld, I know.

DON'T RUIN MY DREAM. I am already fearing my upcoming Wisconsin winter.

Back