TaylorMade Irons - The Morgan Cup

I'm on the R11 iron train. Next stop, the TM staff bag!

ooooo, very nice.

Man those look sweet!!! I want them soooooooo bad!

Congrats to all the TM staffers. Sick setups!

The CBs got to nestle in their home for the first time late tonight after I met up with CG13 and picked them up. More tomorrow but here's some late night action. Man are they nice. TP CBs with the Nippon950 shaft in stiff. White VDR grips.
They're forged you know. I had to wash them because they were so buttery.

Kevin

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

I really, really like that set up Esox. Those VDR grips are fantastic. I've become a huge fan of the Nippon shafts as well! Great bag dude.

Esox, can you talk a bit about your decision to game that combo when you get some time? Also what benefits were you getting with those shafts vs the stock shafts for the CB's?

Esox, can you talk a bit about your decision to game that combo when you get some time? Also what benefits were you getting with those shafts vs the stock shafts for the CB's?

Wow, morning comes early in FL. I'll post more about the irons after today's round and practice. Meeting CG13 for breakfast in 30 minutes. I will say the Nippons had a little more "something" to them when I tested. I'll expand later.

Kevin

These irons look amazing I can't wait to hear what you have to say about them.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Hawk, after testing the 2.0s and the CBs I went with the CBs for a couple reasons. First, I didn't like the extra length of the 2.0s. They felt funny to me at address. Second, while a I like a lighter shaft, the 2.0s felt really light to me with the 85 gram shaft. They were also a little more offset than I like because I am a serious golfer.

I tested the CBs as best I could. They were not in stores here until mid-June or so. They first struck me as feeling very similar to my Tour Burners, albeit with a sleeker look. The ball really seemed to jump off the face with the stock shafts, but ball flight was pretty high. I generally believe a little lower is a little better, so I was a little concerned. At a TM demo day I got to hit a 6i with an XP, a KBS Tour, and the Nippon950. Again the XP hit the ball high. I hit the ball well with the KBS, but the 128 gram weight was very concerning due to my overall lack physical fitness. When I hit three in a row with the Nippon, the TM guy said, "That looks like a pretty sweet ball flight."

I agreed and the choice was made. By feel. No launch monitor was consulted or harmed in my decision.

When the R11s were also offered I contemplated them seriously, but since I was excited about the CBs with the Nippons, and was under the impression most were going with the R11s. I stuck with my original choice. Biggsy hit some killer shots with his, today, but I'm happy with my decision.

Some feed back before biggsy and I head for a TMex pick up. Got to the range today. Really started to sweat. Felt a little queasy after a too big for me breakfast. Had the clubs in my room at about 66* and the grips got all condensated on the range. Started to sweat some more. Was kind of panicish. Was not hitting anything worth a crap.

By the time we teed off, though, the grips had dried, my stomach had settled, and I settled into the sweating. I flew the first two greens basing club selection on my old iron distances. Those two shots were eye openers. The rest of the day went pretty well. Hit some fairly close, clunked a couple 5 irons, one into the drink after the rain delay. The club overall performed nicely for a first round. The ball flight with the Nippon shafts is penetrating and generates more spin than I am used to. That's a good thing. A couple knock down PW shots from 110-115 were my favorites of the day.

I'm pleased as hell.

Kevin

Good to hear, Kevin. I personally can't stand the XP shafts for my swing and have wondered what a shaft change would do for those irons. Sounds like they are working well for you.

Good to hear, Kevin. I personally can't stand the XP shafts for my swing and have wondered what a shaft change would do for those irons. Sounds like they are working well for you.

Yeah, they performed quite well. I'd like about five swings back from today's round, but that's my problem, not the CBs. There's a little more stoutness, at least to me, with the Nippons. I'm liking them a lot. Will know more tomorrow.

Kevin

Great looking bag Esox. Hopefully you can get your distances dialed in before your first MC round

Nice feedback esox; glad you are having a chance to get them dialed in a bit!

---
- Tappin' from my iPad in support of Team Hackers!

Thanks for the info Esox. I really like the fact that you choose on old fashioned feel, rather than data from a launch monitor, etc. I'm similar, when a club has that good feel in hand and when hitting it, it's a keeper.

---
- ...just tap it in...

Nice write up on the sticks there Esox!

Nice thoughts there ESox. Clubs look sweet in that bag. Can't believe yall are down there taking in practice and everything now what a dream come true to you guys. Good luck everyone.

Anxious to hear more thoughts on the R11 performance. Esox I am also looking forward to hearing more thoughts on the CB's as the weekend approaches. I keep going back and forth and so many sets of irons it is crazy. Once I think I've got it settled on one then I read someone's review on another club and it makes me second guess myself.

Got my first range session and course in with the r11's, they are the real deal. Distance is 1/2 to a full club longer than I'm used too, the feel is good- I am VERY impressed.

One of my best shots in our scramble yesterday, DD and I had his drive right behind a hill lined with bushes. Had to hit a blind shot to the green, and it had to get high. DD hit a 7 iron to the front right, the pin was tucked back left with trouble short and left. The shot was long and left, about 170 carry, 175 to pin. I pulled the 6 iron and pured it to 10 feet. We made birdie to go up +2. The irons feel great, and I love the ball flight, nice and high.

Got my first range session and course in with the r11's, they are the real deal. Distance is 1/2 to a full club longer than I'm used too, the feel is good- I am VERY impressed.

One of my best shots in our scramble yesterday, DD and I had his drive right behind a hill lined with bushes. Had to hit a blind shot to the green, and it had to get high. DD hit a 7 iron to the front right, the pin was tucked back left with trouble short and left. The shot was long and left, about 170 carry, 175 to pin. I pulled the 6 iron and pured it to 10 feet. We made birdie to go up +2. The irons feel great, and I love the ball flight, nice and high.

The R11s sound downright impressive. Most of the feedback we have heard is that everyone is seeing about 1/2 club longer.

Can't get enough of these bag setups!

a6890a58-914f-4204.jpg

Back