J.B. Holmes to have brain surgery, out for season

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
Full details in the story from espn.com listed below (http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/6885794/jb-holmes-brain-surgery-week). While this kind of thing isn't my field of expertise in medicine, I will say that I've treated many kids that have had this condition fixed and have great outcomes, hopefully this will not be a long-term source of medical issues for Holmes.

J.B. Holmes will have brain surgery next week to clear up a condition called Chiari malformation and will miss the next three months of competition.

Holmes' agent, Terry Reilly, told GolfChannel.com that the condition is "non-life threatening" and that the 29-year-old Kentucky native "could be hitting balls in a month."

"I know when people hear 'brain surgery' it conjures up all kinds images, but this a relatively low-risk surgery and only takes about an hour and a half," Holmes said Monday. "Best of all, there's a very high success rate in fixing the condition. It's just such a relief to know that there's a name for what I've been going through these past few months and that I have a good chance of getting back to golf and to my regular life."

Chiari malformations are structural defects in the cerebellum, the part of the brain that controls balance. When the indented bony space at the lower rear of the skull is smaller than normal, the cerebellum and brainstem can be pushed downward. The resulting pressure can cause a range of symptoms including dizziness, muscle weakness, numbness, vision problems, headache, and problems with balance and coordination.

Reilly explained to GolfChannel.com that Holmes has suffered from dizziness, numbness, vision problems, headaches and problems with balance and coordination. The procedure will be done at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.

Holmes, who is ranked 66th in the FedEx Cup standings, began experiencing vertigo-like symptoms while at The Players Championship in May, the PGA's release said.

Holmes made his PGA Tour debut in 2003 and has had five Top 10 finishes this year but has not played in a tournament since withdrawing from The PGA Championship, the year's final major. He has won $1.4 million this season and is tops on the PGA Tour in driving distance, averaging 318.4 yards.

Man, I knew he was having some trouble. Hopefully this is a quick and painless process, and he'll be fully healthy and ready to go in a few months. I sure hope everything goes well for him.

Best of luck to him.

Wow, sorry to hear it, but glad its not a life threatening condition.

Tap,Tap,Tap

good luck to him hopefully he will be back soon.

Sent up a prayer. Surgery. Even "easy" survey is still scary.

iOS using Tapatalk

My thoughts and prayers to him and his family. I hope he gets well quickly.

Wow, get better soon, J.B. Im not sure Id use the words, "low-risk" and, "brain surgery" in the same sentence though.

Wow, get better soon, J.B. Im not sure Id use the words, "low-risk" and, "brain surgery" in the same sentence though.

Amazing how far science has come, just in my lifetime. I wish JB best of luck and a safe recovery.

crazy...here's to a successful procedure and a safe recovery!

Wow, that's really pretty scary. I don't care how many times they call it minor, when it involves the brain, it's scary. Here's to JB's health and speedy recovery.

Damn, wish him the best. No surgery is to be taken lightly.

Woah, imagine having this hanging over you while trying to play too. Hopefully he'll be up and about in no time.

hope he has a speedy recovery, he is alays a great charactor on tour

My thoughts are with him for a speedy recovery

Sounds like a scary thing to have done, but hopefully he'll have a speedy recovery and be back fit and healthy next year.

That's scary. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Here's to a fast recovery. He will be missed on tour for the rest of the year.

I've never associated Low Risk or minor as proper ways to describe any brain surgery. Best of luck to JB and hopefully he is back on the course quickly.

good luck and speedy recovery to him

I've never associated Low Risk or minor as proper ways to describe any brain surgery. Best of luck to JB and hopefully he is back on the course quickly.

They have to some what rate the standard level of success and danger, but you are right there is always some risk. When I had my surgery in 1995, brain tumor about the size of a softball and non malignant, it was considered mid level risk yet I had a stroke during a procedure the day before, but the main operation was a piece of cake.

These doctors are so talented its amazing and that was 16 years ago.

Anytime I hear brain surgery I think it's bad news. I hope everything works out well for him.

Man, just hearing the words brain and surgery together is scary. Hoping for the best for J.B. Holmes

Back