What is the best Hybrid in terms of distance, feel, sound, forgiveness?

DrPatSr

Hope to break 80 in 13
Reaction score
I'm thinking about replacing my Diablo Edge hybrids with something better/newer. What Hybrid do you all think offers the best performance in terms of distance, feel, sound, forgiveness? I recently bought a Tour Edge Exotics CB4 four fairway wood, and it is superb in the first three measures. They make a CB4 Hybrid too. Anyone like those? How about the TaylorMade white hybrids/rescue clubs? Maybe the Exotics Trilogy hybrids?
Oh, I bought an off brand 4 hybrid for cheap because it looked really good in white. Tried it this afternoon and it was like hitting a rock tied onto a long stick. Now it's looking pretty in the closet. Thanks in advance. Pat

Whichever one fits your swing the best.
For me its was the Cleveland Mashie. I think it has the best hybrid shaft made right now and found it fits my game the best by a huge margin.
Others might find it to be something else. The only way to tell is to try them all out and see which one works best.

Plenty of reviews here on THP to look out for as well and just do an advanced search for all the ones you listed and you'll find the writeups attached to them. Hard to give a recommendation not knowing anything about your preferences but it is all purely subjective and JB has a point in that the only way to tell is to try as many as you can. Doing your research in advance should narrow down the list for you though. Good luck and most importantly, have fun.

Whichever one fits your swing the best.
For me its was the Cleveland Mashie. I think it has the best hybrid shaft made right now and found it fits my game the best by a huge margin.
Others might find it to be something else. The only way to tell is to try them all out and see which one works best.

Not sure you can say it much better than this. Test as many as you can, feel is super subjective. You will find a ton of mashie lovers here though.

Hmm. If you are going to replace the Cally hybrids you may have to do the whole shebang, that's a bunch of hybrids in your iron set. Not sure how you can keep gapping consistent without some very thorough gap testing on your part. Like launch monitor testing. I did my gap testing outdoors and it's not as close as I had hoped. It's working for now. Could be better is all.

I'd check out that Adams A12OS test thread if I were you!

I would say to just hit as many as possible. Find the one best suited to your game. Shaft, weighting and other things can come into the equation, so just hit as many as possible!

Hmm. If you are going to replace the Cally hybrids you may have to do the whole shebang, that's a bunch of hybrids in your iron set. Not sure how you can keep gapping consistent without some very thorough gap testing on your part. Like launch monitor testing. I did my gap testing outdoors and it's not as close as I had hoped. It's working for now. Could be better is all.

I'd check out that Adams A12OS test thread if I were you!

Didn't notice that on his sig, griff. Good catch!

I agree with griff to check out that thread since the set makeup matches yours to a T.

Well, I do tend to hoard stuff, golf clubs included. Also have seven dogs right now, if you know what I mean.
But I'm willing to cut down to a legal 14 or so, well maybe next year……….

I would say to just hit as many as possible. Find the one best suited to your game. Shaft, weighting and other things can come into the equation, so just hit as many as possible!
The Adams Black Super Hybrid is worth trying also. Shape may be larger than you prefer but it meets your 4 criteria.

Well, I do tend to hoard stuff, golf clubs included. Also have seven dogs right now, if you know what I mean.
But I'm willing to cut down to a legal 14 or so, well maybe next year……….

Looks like you have every possible scenario covered my friend. 3W,4W,3,4,5,6Hybrids & 5 Wedges.

On topic though, in my experience Hybrids are purely a feel club. Personally, I carry one hybrid, and it's an old TaylorMade Rescue Mid, that no matter how hard I try, I just cant replace. I have been reading about the Boccieri Heavy Hybrid (review and thread here on THP), and it has me really thinking about changing out my hybrid for it.

The Cleveland Mashie is a favorite for quite a few people as well. Do you have the luxory of testing/demoing some out on the range/course? Are you looking for distance, workability (love that word), control?

What ever choice you make it will be well informed. The amount of information on hybrids is vast. Get comfortable and start reading. Good luck.

Kongfrontation

Those Diablo Edge hybrids aren't that old are they ... or do they just not meet your needs/expectation? And before you jump to another club, it might be worthwhile to get fit for a better/different shaft. Not that new clubs are EVER a bad thing! lol.

I agree that there is a best hybrid for your swing, I am loving the Adams a12OS hybrids and will buy the 3H when it hits the stores. It is pretty amazing for me actually.

I am currently still using my TM Rescue Dual No 3 hybrid which I have loved since buying it. I've looked at chaning it for other resuce clubs but nothing felt quite the same as the dual so I've not bothered. If your looking for hybrids within a set of irons though, Adams A7OS, Cobra S2/S3 Max, Cleveland HB3's all get very very good writeups - just depends on what it is you need.

Thanks for all the good answers, suggestions, ideas.

Well, so far the hybrid grass is not any greener on the other side. I spent a few hours hitting different hybrids at various golf shops, then took a few to the practice range. I can't find one that is easier to hit, feels, sounds, or significantly outdistances my Diablo Edge hybrids. Nobody has the Adams A12OS around here yet, but they do sound great on the videos on THP. I even tried an Exotics XCG V four hybrid (21), but it was about the same distance wise as my Diablo Edge 4,5. And it kind of went "Clunk" when I hit it as opposed to the nice metallic sound of the D.E.'s (personal preference).
Maybe my question to the good THP folks should have been "What is your favorite hybrid?"

I'm going to have to say the Yonex EZONE is the longest, best hybrid on the market. All others pale by comparison, IMHO

Kongfrontation

I want to say thank you too for all the feedback. I'm interested in getting a hybrid, but have never hit one. I have my 5 wood that I hit from 200-215 yards and am dead on usually. It's getting old though and am thinking about replacing it.

Check out the Yonex thread!! I absolutely love the versitility of it! I use it quite often througout a round.

After an exhaustive search for the perfect hybrid for me, I read the reviews on the TM Superfast 2.0 hybrids that the testers did here on THP. Those very informative reviews had my interest peaked and I needed to test one of these out.
I had some clubhouse money from a tourney that I placed in a few weeks ago and they had just one of the 18 degree version left.
It happened to have the stiff shaft in it, which I usually play, so I took it to the range. By the time I hit 8 balls with it, I was sold and so was that club. I really like this club and my wife likes it even more since I didn't have to write a check for it. :D

I love my Cleveland Mashies so much, I haven't even really gotten the urge to try any of the newer hybrids. Its that good. The shaft is unreal, and the retro look is pretty cool. But just overall, its forgiving, consistent and a long bomber.

Plenty of Reviews with great info here on THP. For myself personally i love my Taylormade 11 rescue. It is long and straight and looks amazing. I use it off the tee about 4/5 times a round and hit about 97% of fairways with it. I have a slight draw with it and just love the ball flight. It is a winner for me without a doubt.

I am still smitten with the rescue 11. Long, high, and versatile. It's a go to club

Well, so far the hybrid grass is not any greener on the other side. I spent a few hours hitting different hybrids at various golf shops, then took a few to the practice range. I can't find one that is easier to hit, feels, sounds, or significantly outdistances my Diablo Edge hybrids. Nobody has the Adams A12OS around here yet, but they do sound great on the videos on THP. I even tried an Exotics XCG V four hybrid (21), but it was about the same distance wise as my Diablo Edge 4,5. And it kind of went "Clunk" when I hit it as opposed to the nice metallic sound of the D.E.'s (personal preference).
Maybe my question to the good THP folks should have been "What is your favorite hybrid?"

Im gonna go with the mashie for distance and I think I am more accurate with the ADAMS a12 os hybrid

Still love my Bobby Jones hybirds. They took over from the Nickent 5DX's I had (also great hybrids) and since then I have never looked back. Even the Mashie didn't kick them out of the bag. They are not great for huge distance, but in every other category they are hard to beat. Easy to hit, consistent, great from almost any lie, look fantastic and sound great. You can get them cheap too!

Back