Re: Pain in the butt due to golf?

AMAK

Reaction score
Handicap
Re: Pain in the butt due to golf?

Hey everyone,

I have an embarassing question:

Has anyone ever hurt themselves due to their golf swing? I recently sprained/muscle spasm in my left butt (the gluteus medius to be exact) which is the muscle that is responsible for stabilizing the hip. I am a lefty and I sometimes fall back due to poor weight transfer which may have caused this... (I have no idea, just grasping at straws here)

It's been 2 weeks and I just saw an acupuncturist/message therapist (there is a sports injury clinic near my work) and he said I likely over exerted/overused the muscle due to 3 days in a row of golf with no day off to rest (plus I carry my bag)

It hurts to walk and I've been taking advils for which help but once it wears off, look out....suffice to say no golf for me the last 2 weeks.... :( and this is after the round of my life... (shot 11 over par...which is way better considering on this course I usually shoot 20-25 over)

Anyone ever experience anything similar or am I the only idiot who manages to hurt themselves in such an awkward area?

Thanks

I have often said golf is a pain in the butt, but I've never used the experssion literally, lol.

I have however pulled the muscle riding MX, and it is very painful. I spent about two weeks before I was able to walk normal, and it was 3 weeks before I was back riding. It was a couple months before I got over it being sore after riding.

Good luck.

No but cheek problems for me, but I used to get a sore right hip. Figured out I was driving the cart with my left foot kind of hanging out and the little rail on the side of seat was always digging into my hip.

Good luck with your butt pain. I guess I do have some butt pain. Goes by the name of TC on the forum.

Kevin

I tore rib cartilage swinging too hard and also have a bad left knee from swinging too hard.

popped 2 discs in my lower back in April that I'm still getting treatment on.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I have never pulled a muscle playing golf. Get better soon man.

How did you do that? I have seen many injuries due to MX but do not recall that one. But then on a bike, anything can and will happen. We raced MX until this past June.

Your guess is as good as mine, total yard sale, and got up to ride off and it hurt like hell for the rest of the race.

popped 2 discs in my lower back in April that I'm still getting treatment on.
Disc material pushing on your psyatic nerve?

tore intercostal muscle in my chest few years back. they are the ones between your ribs. it hurt like hell to breath for about a week. taught it was a heart attack at the time ha ha and i'm only 28

Oh thank God no, that was gnarly crash, I couldn't believe he finished that race. I was trying to pass someone on the outside, tried to run me high but ended up swapping pretty bad, and he got into me hard. My front end stuck in a rut and I went flipping (think Barcia's crash when he took out Musquin in the 2nd corner early this year). I came out of it alright, just the freak pulled muscle.

My Uncle tweaked a butt muscle back in July during a swing of the driver. I can't say I have ever hurt myself during a golf swing but I have sprained my ankle stepping in a prairie dog hole looking for a wayward drive :((

Oh thank God no, that was gnarly crash, I couldn't believe he finished that race. I was trying to pass someone on the outside, tried to run me high but ended up swapping pretty bad, and he got into me hard. My front end stuck in a rut and I went flipping (think Barcia's crash when he took out Musquin in the 2nd corner early this year). I came out of it alright, just the freak pulled muscle.

Yep saw that on also. My son decided after two broken wrist and a deep brused shoulder this past year that he was done. Two weeks after his last bad get off (practicing for LL) he went and got a job at the golf course, started taking lesson in July and made the HS golf team this year. So now instead of me watching him ride and fixing bikes I get to go play too!

Yep saw that on also. My son decided after two broken wrist and a deep brused shoulder this past year that he was done. Two weeks after his last bad get off (practicing for LL) he went and got a job at the golf course, started taking lesson in July and made the HS golf team this year. So now instead of me watching him ride and fixing bikes I get to go play too!

Sounds almost exactly like me except I raced Super Bikes. Broke both my wrists and my right shoulder, decided it was time to play a sport where it didn't hurt so much! Luckily the plates and screws don't restrict my movement enough to stop me from golfing, although they do get sore. No butt pain here :D

I thought I pulled a rib muscle while playing golf back in 2005.
After 2 weeks and the pain didn't go away, so I went to my doc to get it looked at.
It turned out not to be a pulled muscle, but 2 cancer tumors in my colon.
The surgeon said had I waited another 3-6 months, I would not have survived.
I had half of the colon removed and some chemo and I am good to go!
In a way, you could say golf saved my life.

Yep, I have had terrible problems with a muscle in my butt area on the right side. My orthopedic doctor told me it was from the piriformis muscle. I do stretches all the time. It causes me a lot of discomfort, especially at night, and numbness in my right leg. It's been going on since last fall. It was really painful for a couple months and now it is just aggravating.

Wow Drumdog, thats crazy...Glad golf did save your life.... :)

KellyBo, I know how you feel...I thought it was my piriformis as well as I had sciatica before but it turned out to be the piriformis being inflamed and pressing on my sciatic nerve.... this time its another butt muscle...sigh...Had acupuncture and massage....hopefully it doesn't last any longer as golf season here is almost over.... :(

Wow, lots of ppl with so many injuries...I feel a little better but still, i'm relatively young and already pulling muscles.....maybe its time to swing smoother....

I really hurt my tailbone in AAU this year. I got my feet taken out from under me going to the rack. It hurts still hurts when I sit too long. It hurts about half way through a round too.

stretching does wonders
ive pulled lots of muscles everywhere that all coulda been avoided by a warm up stretch

YES YES YES YES. I have been battling pain in my back for some time, pain that would go down into my butt/leg muscles and hurt so bad sometimes I could not even sit down. I could never figure out what it was because I was working out, eating well and generally in the best shape I have been in for as long as I can remember. I had several MRI's that showed nothing but it was worth getting checked out because of the pain. In the end I think it was jut a combination of golf (I have played 30 rounds this year, I probably played 10-20 last year), basketball 1-3 times a week, running and working in a warehouse. I guess in the end I just over did it. I took a month off and played for the first time in a long time yesterday and had a club fitting today, so I am a little sore. Of course I have that slight pain that is radiating into my butt and making it a little painful to sit down. I just need to watch what I do and make sure I stretch. I feel your pain!

Luckily I've never hurt myself while golfing. Of course I have off and on tendonitis in my elbows that flares up from time to time that makes golf a little annoying when having to play out of the rough and fitting with the grass pulling the club head.

Back