Forum Testing Signup - TaylorMade R11 Irons

Another fantastic opportunity for THP members. Thank you TM and THP for giving us forum members a chance to test equipment.

Went to Roger Dunn and hit the R11's again today while I was waiting on my new putter to get found back in the stock room. (putter was at the other RD uptown by the way...@&?$)
Anyway, more on the R11's. The feel with these irons is very solid and the sound (at least in the bay) was a very audible but clean sounding CLICK. Distance was in line with my current Z-Stars and about a half club longer than my MX-300s. Dispersion is very tight with these as I only saw a small draw with these irons. However, it was very consistent as my right to left movement was only 5-10 yards instead of my usual straight to 15 or so yards. Irons seemed to flight up and down quite easily. It seems as if all kinds of different shots will be easy to produce with these sticks.
I could be mistaken, but does the topline on these actually look a little thinner than the TP CB's?

Tempo, timing, tapping.

Went to Roger Dunn and hit the R11's again today while I was waiting on my new putter to get found back in the stock room. (putter was at the other RD uptown by the way...@&?$)
Anyway, more on the R11's. The feel with these irons is very solid and the sound (at least in the bay) was a very audible but clean sounding CLICK. Distance was in line with my current Z-Stars and about a half club longer than my MX-300s. Dispersion is very tight with these as I only saw a small draw with these irons. However, it was very consistent as my right to left movement was only 5-10 yards instead of my usual straight to 15 or so yards. Irons seemed to flight up and down quite easily. It seems as if all kinds of different shots will be easy to produce with these sticks.
I could be mistaken, but does the topline on these actually look a little thinner than the TP CB's?

Tempo, timing, tapping.

Hit them AGAIN?
I still haven't seen them Down Under

Bump. This shouldn't fall to second page.

Bump. This shouldn't fall to second page.

Why would you possibly need to test R11's when you have the much coveted Bruner Irons..lol (sorry, I am a spelling nazi).. I agree though, this should not fall to the 2nd page.

1. Taylormade 2009 Burner (1.0) Irons
2. Steel stock Taylormade shafts
3. I generally look for forgiveness in the long irons, penetrating ball flight, good feedback on shots, and they have to look good at address with preferably a thin topline.
4. I have not tried R11 Irons yet.
5. I play or practice a minimum of twice a week but usually 3 times a week (range and rounds combined). My testing plan would start at home before even going to the range or course with a direct comparison to my current clubs. This would include comparing loft, lie, shaft length, grips, aesthetics. Pictures and video will be included in this portion.

My first test away from home would involve a range session to get a chance to take several full swings with each club to compare distance. My local range has several targets placed at various distances to aim at so this range session would consist of testing the accuracy of the irons at various distances compared to my current clubs. This would likely be repeated during the weekdays to gauge feel, feedback, forgiveness on several types of shots. A trip to the local golf shot will be made to put these clubs on the monitor for some hard numbers.

On the weekends is when i would generally get out to the course so this is when the oncourse testing would occur. I would put these clubs in play immediately. From the course play i would comment on feel, feedback, forgiveness on real life shot situations, and likely be able to test several different kind of shots such as off the tee, from the fairway, from the rough, approach shots, etc.

I am still fairly new to the forums but i am active. I use this forum as a reference for all my purchases before i buy anything. My contribution points are growing but still not as high as some. I am obviously more active during the golf season as this forum is rich with info on equipment, courses, swing info , etc. I've been hoping to get a chance to test some equipment (any equipment) for a long time! .

Thanks again! this is a great opportunity.​

Huh. Interesting tweet coming from THP.... Says today is the last day of signups to test these bad boys. Get your entries in!

Huh. Interesting tweet coming from THP.... Says today is the last day of signups to test these bad boys. Get your entries in!

This is going to be a helpful set of reviews. I can imagine these irons appealing to a much broader range of golfers than many others.

I'll give this a little waggle

I'll give this a little waggle

1. What irons do you currently play? I bought the Hogan Apex PC set for about $335 some 27 years ago when I worked at a golf course during the summer. It's been so long ago I've forgotten exactly how much I paid (how long?: the set has a 2-iron and 3-iron, and I hit both). I just remember the story of how I came about the purchase. I saw the set priced similarly to the Wilson Tour Blades. The clubs, though both forged, could not have been more different. Each was a new design rolled out that year (1985?) by the club maker. The Wilson shifted back to a design with the muscle back slipped down where most of the weight was placed in the bottom half of where the ball should be at impact. Hogan directed the weight behind the middle of the ball (PC did not mean "political correctness;" try "percussion center"). I knew the Wilson design probably would fit my game as an active amateur better, because I felt I would have to play a lot to hit a club (the Hogan) where the sweet spot was the size of a dime. But I went with the Hogan because of the mystique, admittedly, because I was fascinated with Mr. Hogan's story. He still was alive and living not far away in Fort Worth. Plus, I saved a few bucks with the Hogans. For some reason (probably because the club design was not hacker friendly, which I'm sure Mr. Hogan mandated through his sense of how the game should be played -- he didn't pander to the concept of forgiveness, did he?) the set was aggressively priced. After seeing the set at one retail shop, I drove over to another shop to see if I might find something better. The shop attendant told me he would beat any price. He called the other shop on the phone and played dumb (there also was no caller ID in those days) and confirmed the price. I bought them that day, and as time has gone on, I haven't regretted the choice. Unfortunately I lost the 9-iron, and the 6-iron is a replacement I found in a re-sale shop because the original head came flying off during a tee shot and flew into White Rock Creek at Tenison East in Dallas.
2. What shafts are in those irons? It's the classic Apex shaft, rated at 4 (the Hogan stiff shaft). As I say, it's a classic. It's a straight-forward steel shaft with no confusing gimmicks on flex points and vibration matching -- as far as I know. That retail shop attendant, in fact, cited the shaft when he was playing dumb over the phone that day. He asked the competitor if the clubs he was selling had that "little red tape around the metal stick."
3. What do you look for in irons? I'm afraid I'm getting a bit stodgy as I progress to senior competition, because I love that forged design, no offset. But when I do go and shake a stick at the retail shop, that's what I do -- I literally shake the stick slowly while gripping it. I move it back and forth slowly in the hitting zone/impact area. It's the same thing I did with the Hogans I still own. I've found that if it feels good moving through the impact area, however slowly I'm moving it, it'll feel good taking it back, getting it to horizontal at the top of my backswing with my weight behind the ball, bringing it back to square while my weight is shifting through, and extending the release into the follow through. The "looks" of a club intrigue me, but the smell test comes mostly with that "waggle," if you will, in the impact area. Probably another reason that was at the back of my mind as I bought those Hogans years ago was that I do like an iron that tends to have a low ball flight. I play in the Texas wind. This hasn't worked so well as golf courses have come to be designed with forced carries. Perhaps we are moving back to "hard and fast" with our new course designs, and it's no coincidence that a Texan like Ben Crenshaw is at the forefront of that movement. I love playing long irons off the tee of a hard and fast course.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I have never tried the R11 irons because I just have not been in the market for new sticks. But I do have that feel of intrigue with the Taylor Made clubs, particularly the driver. The r7 I felt was a real breakthrough. This latest deal, the driver with the spray-painted white head (I'm half kidding), is a bit of a gimmick. Time will tell.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I'm a newcomer to THP but I've searched for the right opportunity to test clubs and write about it. I look forward to putting the test clubs through that little waggle I wrote about. Obviously, it'll go further than that. There's a fine local golf association here that prides itself with a quality practice facility. I'm friends with the director of the facility, and he's a real geek (positively speaking) when it comes to equipment. Though he's taken back a bit because I won't let him re-grip my clubs (that's my job), he's a great sounding board when it comes to clubs old and new. His shop has quite a nice used-club consignment. It's grass-roots golf that I love. Though my profession has me in a demanding project right now, I still play regularly and will step it up come spring time when the bulk of the job is done. But the weather is too good down here not to be playing during the winter.

I look forward to seeing your thoughts in this forum, and I hope I'm not too wordy or too much of a story teller (in Texas we call that a BS'er) in my thoughts.

Oh boy!!! Extremely exciting!!! :clapp:

Can't wait for this announcement

This is Awesome!!! There is gonna be 5 LUCKY THPers!!!

Not lucky, they will have earned it. Privaleged maybe?

It is not all butterflies and ball resting birdies. The testers will have to be available to answer any questions and to keep the thread going. They will have to go out multiple times per week and hit these bad boys and... well, maybe it is all butterflies and ball resting birds.

It is not all butterflies and ball resting birdies. The testers will have to be available to answer any questions and to keep the thread going. They will have to go out multiple times per week and hit these bad boys and... well, maybe it is all butterflies and ball resting birds.

That's a very good way to phrase it. Haha.

Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy!!!!! Hopefully I am called upon but if not it was well worth the entry for the excitement! Thanks again THP and Taylormade! Fantastic opprotunity here for us! Good luck in advance to everyone who is selected!

nothing I dont do every week anyway lol.

Sorry Fella's... I meant lucky in being given the chance to test not only for THP and TM. I know there is alot of work that the testers will have to put into this test as well as all other tests that are done here on THP. I know those who will be chosen will be chosen because of their involvement on here and how well they are perceived to doing a great job at giving good feedback and answering questions asked of them.

And Yes I am one of many who hope that they are chosen to be a tester!

Sorry Fella's... I meant lucky in being given the chance to test not only for THP and TM. I know there is alot of work that the testers will have to put into this test as well as all other tests that are done here on THP. I know those who will be chosen will be chosen because of their involvement on here and how well they are perceived to doing a great job at giving good feedback and answering questions asked of them.

And Yes I am one of many who hope that they are chosen to be a tester!

Haha no worries, I know what you meant! Just putting it out there for those that will leave THP or whatever after they don't get chosen. This isn't a contest! But anyways, this will definately be a fun testing for all.

If I do get the chance to test these beauties for the masses I could see myself being an extremely busy man on the course and in the forums all winter. Seeing as though I would somehow have to find a way to push myself to play through the grueling 70 degree weather here all winter just to keep the feedback coming. I've got to admit that the thought of being able to help steer so many either towards these irons or away from them and toward something better for their game is exciting.
Anyhow, can't wait to hear who the 5 busybodies are that will be testing these puppies out!

Tempo, timing, tapping.

I don't know why I was so aprehensive to join in here, I think it's because I was picked for the blind ball testing.

1. What Irons do you currently play? I play Mizuno MP37's

2. What shafts are in those irons? True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

3. What do you look for in Irons? I mainly look for Asthetics, workability, ball flight, and feel. I really like a thin and compact topline, i've grown acustomed to it over the years and it's just comfortable, I do like to work the ball when needed and one thing that scares me about sgi irons is the lack of workability. I really like a penetrating ball flight, and I like a soft feel.

4. Have you hit the R11's and what did you think? I have not hit them and cannot comment on them.

5. Tell us about your testing process and your THP activity level. I haven't been able to get to play much recently due to work but that's getting ready to give way to some free time schedule wise, I practice at least 3 or 4 days a week and play at least one or two, when I go to the range I generally work on wedges, putting and irons with irons dominating at least one session. I hit alot of balls and will put these to the test with measurable results vs my current forged set. I can also photograph and hopefully video some sessions. I'm pretty active on THP, I love it here and will participate wether chosen or not, there's just too much here to talk about..

Back