SCOR System Review - Forum Testing

Test Date: 09/29/2011
Testing Club: SCORGolf 45, 50, 55, 60 Deg – Shaft: Genius 12 (KBS Tour 120) – Stiff Steel
My Club: TaylorMade R11 PW (45) and AW (50) - Shaft: KBS Tour 90 – Stiff Steel and TaylorMade xFT 54 and 58 deg – Shaft: KBS Hi-Rev – Wedge Flex Steel
Ball Used: Bridgestone B330-RXS
Environment: Grass, Sandy/Aerated Greens

Out on the course for the first time with the SCOR Wedges yesterday. Even though it was technically a work outing (semi-competitive) round, I pulled out a SCOR Wedge whenever I could so that I could try some different shots...even when I would have normally played a different shot to score better. Instead of going hole-by-hole, I think I'm going to group thoughts by club today.

45 deg SCOR Wedges

Ok, I know I mention the size of this thing in every post, and I will do so here only to say the following...didn't notice it today on the course when I wasn't directly alternating between the SCOR and the R11 or between SCOR Wedges. I had two full swings with the 45 deg on the course today, and they were the best iron/wedge shots of the day regardless of club. Both shots were playing 110ish to the center, and both shots probably went 115 dead on line. Nice high trajectory and landed soft and were within a couple of yards of their pitch marks, even with the sanded/aerated greens. I also grabbed the 45 out of the bag on a longish chip from short of the green, which I thinned a bit and knocked 30 feet past the hole.

50 deg SCOR Wedges

I only had two shots with the 50 deg today, and unfortunately they were back to back. I tried to play a low, running pitch from 10 yards short of a green and thinned it over the green (seeing a trend here) and since I had the 50 in my hand already, I played the follow-up chip from the other side of the green with it to a much better result.

55 deg and 60 deg SCOR Wedges

Since my range doesn't have any sort of short game area of note, I haven't practiced chipping with these as much as I need to, so still not sure when I get around the green if I want to hit the 55 or 60 deg. I tried it both ways yesterday to mixed results. I had a thicker lie to a shorter pin and tried the 60, which I promptly chunked barely onto the green. I did follow up an attempted full 55 (that I hit fat) with a nice 40 yard pitch with the same 55 deg. Next couple chips with the 55 were better, but definintely an area I need to practice more with and get more course time with.

Random Thought

For the course, I don't care for the iron headcovers that accompanied the clubs. Need to take a metallic sharpie to them to write a loft number on them so that I can find the wedge I want easier.

Overall Thoughts

Today was the first day on a course in six weeks...and it showed. It didn't matter what equipment I had out there, I would have been flubbing some shots, and again, I was hitting some of these in situations I normally wouldn't have. The SCOR Wedges are not a miracle drug but they are a very nice over-the-counter pain reliever. One area that I had not gotten to explore much was the spin these generate. I was very impressed, even on the poor green conditions. I was leaving pitch marks even on a 40 foot chip, and there were a couple that I caught a groove or so too low, and they just hit, bounced, and stopped. I am not a high spin wedge player, so I think these are quite spinny compared every wedge I've ever had in my bag. When I get back out to the range, I need to keep working with these on finesse shots, but after a layoff, the results were decent enough. On full shots, which I have been practicing more since these arrived, I was very pleased going two for three on GIRs (the bane of my existance normally) where the lies on two of the three were less than ideal.

Donne. I have that problem sometimes as well. it happens when I get quick and also try to see the result of the shot before I hit the ball. Make a point to look at the ball, even after contact. Its helped for me.

Regarding the headcovers....I personally do not use iron covers so its not an issue to me, but I completely agree, it was the first thing I noticed...how am I to tell which wedge is under there?

Donne. I have that problem sometimes as well. it happens when I get quick and also try to see the result of the shot before I hit the ball. Make a point to look at the ball, even after contact. Its helped for me.

Regarding the headcovers....I personally do not use iron covers so its not an issue to me, but I completely agree, it was the first thing I noticed...how am I to tell which wedge is under there?

Dude, there's that tip again, so simple but you really have helped my short to intermediate game SO much by stating it One-T.

As far as the SCOR's, you guys and Beau have got me at about 90% to replacing my 45* PW. Seriously. You guys are going an awesome job.

Ad, nice write up. After a long on course layoff, I just hope I can find the ball after I hit it.

The tip from One-T is solid. I know when I really concentrate on that my chipping/short game is much more solid. Just need to concentrate on it all the time.

I think that's a good point about the headcovers, Donne. I would probably want to do something similar.

I just can't make myself use iron headcovers...one of the guys I play with one a regular basis does and he is always going back to get one he left near the green :banghead:

good stuff Donne. It seems like you are getting nice consistent gaps between the wedges which has to make the game a little easier. I doubt I would use the headcovers on the course, but you are right. If the company put them there they should have included a number on them.

Testing Club: SCORGolf 45, 50, 55, 60 Deg – Shaft: Genius 12 (KBS Tour 120) – Stiff Steel
My Club: TaylorMade R11 PW (45) and AW (50) - Shaft: KBS Tour 90 – Stiff Steel and TaylorMade xFT 54 and 58 deg – Shaft: KBS Hi-Rev – Wedge Flex Steel

Out on the course for the first time with the SCOR Wedges yesterday. Even though it was technically a work outing (semi-competitive) round, I pulled out a SCOR Wedge whenever I could so that I could try some different shots...even when I would have normally played a different shot to score better. Instead of going hole-by-hole, I think I'm going to group thoughts by club today.

45 deg SCOR Wedges

Ok, I know I mention the size of this thing in every post, and I will do so here only to say the following...didn't notice it today on the course when I wasn't directly alternating between the SCOR and the R11 or between SCOR Wedges. I had two full swings with the 45 deg on the course today, and they were the best iron/wedge shots of the day regardless of club. Both shots were playing 110ish to the center, and both shots probably went 115 dead on line. Nice high trajectory and landed soft and were within a couple of yards of their pitch marks, even with the sanded/aerated greens. I also grabbed the 45 out of the bag on a longish chip from short of the green, which I thinned a bit and knocked 30 feet past the hole.

50 deg SCOR Wedges

I only had two shots with the 50 deg today, and unfortunately they were back to back. I tried to play a low, running pitch from 10 yards short of a green and thinned it over the green (seeing a trend here) and since I had the 50 in my hand already, I played the follow-up chip from the other side of the green with it to a much better result.

Since my range doesn't have any sort of short game area of note, I haven't practiced chipping with these as much as I need to, so still not sure when I get around the green if I want to hit the 55 or 60 deg. I tried it both ways yesterday to mixed results. I had a thicker lie to a shorter pin and tried the 60, which I promptly chunked barely onto the green. I did follow up an attempted full 55 (that I hit fat) with a nice 40 yard pitch with the same 55 deg. Next couple chips with the 55 were better, but definintely an area I need to practice more with and get more course time with.

Random Thought

For the course, I don't care for the iron headcovers that accompanied the clubs. Need to take a metallic sharpie to them to write a loft number on them so that I can find the wedge I want easier.

Overall Thoughts

Today was the first day on a course in six weeks...and it showed. It didn't matter what equipment I had out there, I would have been flubbing some shots, and again, I was hitting some of these in situations I normally wouldn't have. The SCOR Wedges are not a miracle drug but they are a very nice over-the-counter pain reliever. One area that I had not gotten to explore much was the spin these generate. I was very impressed, even on the poor green conditions. I was leaving pitch marks even on a 40 foot chip, and there were a couple that I caught a groove or so too low, and they just hit, bounced, and stopped. I am not a high spin wedge player, so I think these are quite spinny compared every wedge I've ever had in my bag. When I get back out to the range, I need to keep working with these on finesse shots, but after a layoff, the results were decent enough. On full shots, which I have been practicing more since these arrived, I was very pleased going two for three on GIRs (the bane of my existance normally) where the lies on two of the three were less than ideal.

ad I really enjoyed this write up. It is so hard to get the touch after being away for a few weeks. I love what you said about these not being a miracle drug but a really good pain reliever. I think most of us need a little pain relief when it comes to our short games. Good stuff!

Dude, there's that tip again, so simple but you really have helped my short to intermediate game SO much by stating it One-T.

As far as the SCOR's, you guys and Beau have got me at about 90% to replacing my 45* PW. Seriously. You guys are going an awesome job.

Thats awesome bro. I used to not be a short gamer and this has worked wonders for me

Agreed Donne. Those headcovers drive me batty on the course so I've stopped using them during the round. I do really like them for chucking the bag in car or road trips where there's a bunch of equipment jostling together though.

Thanks guys - concerning the headcovers, I'm not even sure that SCOR Golf supplied them to be used all the time and they may have been used to mainly get the clubs through shipping safely. Besides, with 21 lofts, it doesn't make sense for them to stock head covers marked with the correct loft, but I just ended up throwing them in the back of the cart yesterday.

45 deg SCOR Wedges

50 deg SCOR Wedges

Random Thought

Overall Thoughts

Hell of a write up AD! I would have never known GIR gave you any trouble lol. Thanks man!

It could be possible if you haven't done it before. Sometimes choking up or down can results in one needs to move closer/farther from the ball to get the right angle and not jam yourself up. If you're equadistant from the ball all the time it could be enough to change the strike location a bit. I agree with getting the lies checked just to be sure.

On another note, I've found an interesting thing with spin and contact with these wedges out of the rough. I took a distancey ball, a spinny ball and then hit shots with a MX200 GW, Pro combo PW, SCOR 47 and xFT 50 and tried to see the differences in stop power vs running out. For the record, the MX200 GW is also 50 loft, the distance ball was a Nike Vapour and the spinny ball was a Bridgestone B330 RXS. All shots were hit from the same lies, 3 shots with each club on each ball. Not a large enough sample group for my liking but even still, the results where interesting.

As expected (for me), the MX200 GW had the most run out with either ball despite having 3 degrees more loft then the NPC and S47. Contact through the rough to the ball was spotty and the sole/head had issues getting in and out cleanly. Not a giant suprise since the GW is much more iron then wedge and the double grind on the sole doesn't come into play when the ball isn't on the fairway or first cut.
The xFT produced slighty better results then the MX. The additional bounce helped getting to the ball nicely but you could see the club get a little stuck when it was coming through and the spin was greatly reduced if there was any grass between the ball and the face. For the fun of it I tried to come in really steep and the bounce level (09) wasn't able to handle it.
In terms of the NPC, the xfx grooves lived up to their billing more or less. The spinny ball clearly spun a lot more then with the M or X even with the same amount of grass between the face. The extra grooves got a got latching on to other parts of the ball and did their job. The bounce is the same as the X though, so diggers could have issues with getting in and out.
With the S47 what happened was essentially the reverse of the NPC. Like the X, the lesser amount of grooves clearly didn't like have grass between the face and the ball. There was still spin but certainly less. In exchange, the sole bull dozed it's self through the grass to get full contact on the ball and came straight out. I might have put a touch more gusto on the shot, but I don't believe that to be the case. The extra head weight really plowed into the rough and got to the ball with, more or less, the same amount of energy that it came in with. This caused the ball to pop up and out with some impressive vigour. The high amount of bounce also meant that the full face of the club was presented to the ball for full contact.

I found the S47 and the NPC to have more performance out of the rough then the other two but for different reasons. The NPC was better at getting the ball up with more spin and stopping power. It was easy to get a stop or a hop and stop. The S47 came out lower and a bit hotter but with impressive distance control. Unless I was trying to flop the ball, run out was certainly there but the distance consistency with each ball was impressive. I found it much spinnier then the M and equally as spinny as the X. The leg up over the X was the contact was much more consistent and thus so was the distance.

Again, I'd like to do this again with multiple people using 3 or 4 balls and 8 or 10 clubs but I seem to have trouble rounding up people to be my guinea pigs. Something about a mad scientist laugh seems to put people off...

That's real interesting write ST. I really enjoyed the comparison with all the other wedges.

Hell of a write up AD! I would have never known GIR gave you any trouble lol. Thanks man!

Yeah, I was playing well tee to green for me at the MC (putting like a donkey though). Usually I hit no more than 4-5 out of 18 GIRs. Just means lots of on course short game practice and SCOR Wedge testing opportunities.

Ad, I personally enjoyed your thoughts on the PW (45) wedge with the full shots and the ball reaction you got from them. Sounds like some good grooves on the wedges.

A lot of wisdom in that short game tip One-T.

I agree with the iron covers not being marked, I think it defeats the purpose when being utilized on the course.

Here is a short video of the sound between a good strike and a bad strike. Weather has been video unfriendly so I had to put this together from earlier videos.

Tactile feel is pretty similar on good and bad shots. I have hit some REALLY bad ones and those you can feel in the hands, not harsh, can just feel the club twist a little. I pretty much know when I have hit good one, but it's not as obvious as some other wedges I have used. When I hear a crack odds are I mishit the ball. When the sound is higher and fuller, tactile feel is deeper I know it's a good one.

I haven't really touched on feel too much. Probably because the SCORs feel so consistent on good and not so good shots I have overlooked commenting on feel. I can't explain it any other way than this....they feel right. Not buttery soft, not harsh. It's very understated and not distracting. Could reach for more adjectives I suppose. Some clubs have such a unique feel they can annoy or disappoint me. SCORs are rock solid and satisfying to hit.

Last edited:
im really hoping these are at the Demo day at the outing. great reviews guys! The whole V sole technology really has me intrigued to try these out.

Seems like a little thinner sound off the toe, but not much different at all.

Great stuff guys. I am always intrigued when I come into this thread because its always new, and better stuff. Great job testers!

Seems like a little thinner sound off the toe, but not much different at all.

Yup. Ideally I wanted to hit 2 off the tee on the same hole to give a better sense of what I am talking about, weather has been denying me that. Close your eyes and listen and you can hear how the mishit is just a simple crack.

Good Job Griff...I could really hear the difference in the 2 hits...the sweet spot sound much deeper and fuller than the thin crack of the toe hit........to me anyways

im really hoping these are at the Demo day at the outing. great reviews guys! The whole V sole technology really has me intrigued to try these out.

I know I'll have my set with me at the outing. Everyone is welcome to take some swings with them.

I agree with griff on the feel aspect. Toe shots tend not to be harsh, but I can feel the club want to twist a little. The thin ones, to me have more of a harshness to them. Not bone jarring, but the club definitely tells you that you messed up.

I know I'll have my set with me at the outing. Everyone is welcome to take some swings with them.

if they don't have them ill def take you up on that!

Weather has been horrible lately guys. 40s-50s, rain, and gusting wind. Rain or not I will get out Mon or Tue. Few things I want to work on and I will have a 1 month recap this week.

Interesting thought: practicing/playing with these wedges for about 70% of the time lately has really let the rest of my game go to pots. I'm still getting use to varying my swings on command and it's had some bleh carry over to my iron play. Too many thoughts of choke down just a bit, take 5% off and snap my hands a little more for the draw. Less of that and more of JUST HIT THE BALL was needed today. Nothing against the clubs themselves but it appears I really need to put the proper practice time in to go from wedge shot to irons to hybrids and back again.

Another thing I noticed today since I was having all my CPM's checked is that the SCOR's are longer in the same loft then the Nike's. I'll need to haul out the tape measure to see if the length is just recorded differently (I believe Mizuno measures to the end of the hosel instead of total length or that they did at one time for example) but the SCOR's are just shy of a quarter inch longer.

My fellow testers: How's it going with making the scoring clubs into a combo set? I know One T seems to be going back and forth a bit but results seem promising.

I truly hope this isn't a skim, but I'm going to ask.

Any feedback on hardpan lies? I had a 35 yard shot over a bunker off wet hardpan today and I was scared to even take it. Ended up hitting it well, but it's a tough one to be confident in.

Back