Cleveland Releases Black Irons

Watching war.eagle hit these today, I can understand his excitement. He got the same distance as the 2.0s it seems with a smoother swing and was hitting some incredible golf shots. I have to say that the shaft was pretty darn good.
Swing felt much smoother with these. Loved the Miyazaki shafts in the irons.

I am so excited to try these irons out.
As well you should be. Great clubs.

Irons with graphite shafts are a must for me down the road so these will be on my list to try!

I had some great shots out there today with the Black Irons. I loved the look when they were announced, and was really excited to hit these. I've made it clear, I loved them. I usually have an adjustment period when switching iron sets, but I am a big fan of GI irons, and really like my current Burner 2.0s.

The Miyazaki shaffts in these gave them a light feel in hand, but just like the Driver, it wasnt something that I thought much about as it wasnt noticeable when I was swinging. With the graphite shafts, my swing felt really smooth. Whether I was going with a 3/4 swing or full on, it felt great.

The lofts in the Black irons are strong, similar to the 2.0s. I was seeing similar distance as to what I do with my 2.0s, and on some occasions a bit longer. Off the top of my head I can recall two shots distinctly.
- On a Par 4 with about 150 left into the green, I hit 8 iron. I landed back of the green, I didnt get an exact measurement, but it was in the 160-165 yard range. Made the 40 ft putt for a birdie (only of the day).

- Another shot that stood out to me was a 140 yard PW shot I had into the green. I hit this one pure, and it flew. Great ball fight as well. I got all of this one.
- Par 3, about 140 wind straight at us, tee box is set behind a "natural" area that you have to carry over to get to the green. I hit this one very thin, but still cleared the junk and was left about 20 yards short of the green. I liked how forgiving they were on the mis-hits, especially since I tend to thin a couple shots during the round.

My biggest challenge with the Black Irons today was that I usually aim slightly left of my target, as I tend to hit a fade with my irons. With the Black Irons I was straight, and had to keep telling myself to square up to my target. Not having to adjust for a fade was a new one for me. Straight, high ball flight with great distance. What's not to like.

Like I said with my shot on the Par 3, they are very forgiving. Shots off the toe still flew nicely, and still had decent distance.

The irons are visually stunning, the black with the dark colors of the Miyazaki are a nice combo. I cant say enough about these shafts. I had never gamed an iron with a graphite shaft, but I really like the feel these had. I had my thoughts pre-round about graphite shafts in an iron, and wasnt sure how I would adjust to them, as they are not for everyone, but I liked them, seemed to have a less "harsh" feel (if that makes any sense).

I really want to get a few more rounds with these, there is always a honeymoon phase with new irons, but again, the results were there today. I had some great shots with the Blacks, and as a fan of GU irons, these just did it for me. I could definitely see gaming these in the future.

Nice write up w.e! I am really excited to try these and I have to say that I am even more excited for my dad, who is a fantastic golfer but suffers from joint pain, to try these. If he doesn't get them for himself, I may have to arrange for them as a birthday present from us kids. These just look awesome!

I had some great shots out there today with the Black Irons. I loved the look when they were announced, and was really excited to hit these. I've made it clear, I loved them. I usually have an adjustment period when switching iron sets, but I am a big fan of GI irons, and really like my current Burner 2.0s.

The Miyazaki shaffts in these gave them a light feel in hand, but just like the Driver, it wasnt something that I thought much about as it wasnt noticeable when I was swinging. With the graphite shafts, my swing felt really smooth. Whether I was going with a 3/4 swing or full on, it felt great.

The lofts in the Black irons are strong, similar to the 2.0s. I was seeing similar distance as to what I do with my 2.0s, and on some occasions a bit longer. Off the top of my head I can recall two shots distinctly.
- On a Par 4 with about 150 left into the green, I hit 8 iron. I landed back of the green, I didnt get an exact measurement, but it was in the 160-165 yard range. Made the 40 ft putt for a birdie (only of the day).

- Another shot that stood out to me was a 140 yard PW shot I had into the green. I hit this one pure, and it flew. Great ball fight as well. I got all of this one.
- Par 3, about 140 wind straight at us, tee box is set behind a "natural" area that you have to carry over to get to the green. I hit this one very thin, but still cleared the junk and was left about 20 yards short of the green. I liked how forgiving they were on the mis-hits, especially since I tend to thin a couple shots during the round.

My biggest challenge with the Black Irons today was that I usually aim slightly left of my target, as I tend to hit a fade with my irons. With the Black Irons I was straight, and had to keep telling myself to square up to my target. Not having to adjust for a fade was a new one for me. Straight, high ball flight with great distance. What's not to like.

Like I said with my shot on the Par 3, they are very forgiving. Shots off the toe still flew nicely, and still had decent distance.

The irons are visually stunning, the black with the dark colors of the Miyazaki are a nice combo. I cant say enough about these shafts. I had never gamed an iron with a graphite shaft, but I really like the feel these had. I had my thoughts pre-round about graphite shafts in an iron, and wasnt sure how I would adjust to them, as they are not for everyone, but I liked them, seemed to have a less "harsh" feel (if that makes any sense).

I really want to get a few more rounds with these, there is always a honeymoon phase with new irons, but again, the results were there today. I had some great shots with the Blacks, and as a fan of GU irons, these just did it for me. I could definitely see gaming these in the future.

Nice write up W.E. It shocks me a little when you say you straightened your fade up with these. I guess that is my old school mind thinking about the graphite shafts. I am really curious about these, and cannot wait to give them a shot.

Thanks for the input WE. November 15th won't come soon enough if you ask me. Can't wait to see these in person and give them a try. Are they a similar size and shape to the Burner 2.0's?

Nice write up W.E. It shocks me a little when you say you straightened your fade up with these. I guess that is my old school mind thinking about the graphite shafts. I am really curious about these, and cannot wait to give them a shot.
I was surprised as well. But that has more to do with my swing than it does the iron. With the graphite shaft, I felt my swing was a bit smoother, with a much better tempo especially at my transition from backswing to downswing.

Thanks for the input WE. November 15th won't come soon enough if you ask me. Can't wait to see these in person and give them a try. Are they a similar size and shape to the Burner 2.0's?
They seemed to be similar in size and shape. I want to say that I think the Black Irons sole was a little wider than the 2.0s, but did not have my 2.0s with me (Had the V2s in the bag today :blob:).

Any idea what the weight difference is from the shafts in your 2.0's to the Miyazaki's?

Any idea what the weight difference is from the shafts in your 2.0's to the Miyazaki's?

I dont know the difference, but could probably look it up. Miyazaki's were significantly lighter, wasnt sure how I would like it, but was pleased with how they felt.

I dont know the difference, but could probably look it up. Miyazaki's were significantly lighter, wasnt sure how I would like it, but was pleased with how they felt.

Don't worry about it. You answered the question by telling me they were significantly lighter. Sorry about all the questions but after following your reviews in some other threads and then feeling the excitement in your posts today I am really interested in these irons and more so the shafts. Thanks for all the info.

Don't worry about it. You answered the question by telling me they were significantly lighter. Sorry about all the questions but after following your reviews in some other threads and then feeling the excitement in your posts today I am really interested in these irons and more so the shafts. Thanks for all the info.

Ok, glad it answered it. Definitely excited about the Black line Cleveland is pushing out, it's rare I get this excited about equipment after limited time with it. But, it felt good and I liked what I saw today.

Thanks for the input here war.eagle. You hit them well.

war.eagle, I just read your thoughts and can't help but ponder right now. I need to hit these!

war.eagle, I just read your thoughts and can't help but ponder right now. I need to hit these!

Me too. Normally I dismiss WE as a Team THP suck up but his thoughts on these irons have me in ponder mode big time

Thanks for the input here war.eagle. You hit them well.
Thanks JB. Enjoyed having the opportunity to hit them.

Ponder away Hawk. We seem to have had similar experiences with the V2s, with that said, I think you would love hitting these. I think you would see some good results.

Me too. Normally I dismiss WE as a Team THP suck up but his thoughts on these irons have me in ponder mode big time
HAHA. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

On a serious note, they are a great set. Loved that the ability to pick them up and swing away with good results.

HAHA. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

On a serious note, they are a great set. Loved that the ability to pick them up and swing away with good results.

And on a serious note thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am really excited about the Cleveland stuff this year

I was thinking about how much I love my CG16 irons yesterday and it would be hard to drop them to game another set. Well I believe these new black irons from Cleveland would totally justify a move away from my beloved CG16 irons. If they are have as forgiving and fun to play they will be a winner!

I think what is making me seriously ponder these has to be the graphite shafts. I don't think at this point I would trade my cb2s in for something else with steel shafts.

Tapatalk

I saw these irons on Friday when our sales rep visited. I wish I had taken pictures but didn't know he was bringing all his new gear to show us. These irons have a titanium face which I found looked/felt interesting. If I remember correctly, they are going to be a bit pricey at $899 steel $999 graphite for a set of 7. Can't wait to try them out.

Last edited:
I saw these irons on Friday when our sales rep visited. I wish I had taken pictures but didn't know he was bringing all his new gear to show us. These irons have a titanium face which I found looked/felt interesting. If I remember correctly, they are going to be a bit pricey at $899 steel $999 graphite for a set of 7. Can't wait to try them out.

Yikes! That's a bunch of cash! That would be a cold wet blanket for me.

Yikes! That's a bunch of cash! That would be a cold wet blanket for me.

I think that falls in close with a few others sets right now, no?

It does, and again, just like with the black driver, you are getting a premium shaft as stock. I really think you need to take that into consideration. JMO

I had a feeling that it would be a grand in the graphite. I was expecting 8 clubs though.

Not as baad as the XF's. Them things is PRICEY!

Back