Are tee boxes supposed to be level?

They should be level. Over time, they start to crown if not maintained. If that happens, they have to be redone. The work on a golf course never ends.

Oh, I forgot to add, several of the ladies tee boxes are not tee boxes at all, just 2 tee markers put out to one side of the fairway, and that's it. I have told the course manager several times that they really need to address that. If I were one of those ladies who play regularly at our course, I would be PO'ed.

The ladies tee boxes on my local course are horrible! You almost need a hammer to get the tee into the ground. It is so bad that my girlfriend needs me to put the tee in for her. If it wasn't so close or so cheap then I wouldn't even play there.

My home course was built in 1959 and over time, things have changed. Not every tee box is level any more, but I don't see it as a big deal. You play the course as you find it.

Last edited:
At my home course, I've noticed that the tee boxes are no longer level. I will frequently get set up for a drive and notice that my feet are above or below the ground where the ball is. Or, my personal favorite, one foot is noticeably higher than the other.

I know that I could move the re-tee the ball in a different spot, but there are some holes where I can't find one leve spot at all...

Is this normal for most courses?

Same thing for my home course. Annoys the jibbys out of me when it's supposed to be level. Is sad and can (IMHO) screw up your tee off.

Tappin' for world peace!

Tee boxes should be level....I've never seen one built with slopes or unevenness. Your boxes are in need of some sprucing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they are and this drives me Bleepin' crazy. The should also have some flippin' grass on them, be closely mown so the grass doesn't get between the club face and the ball at impact, be moved often enough that you aren't standing in a divot field trying to hit your tee shot, and not be aligned to put you in the woods/water/whatever. Tee box maintenance is probably my biggest complaint with the courses in New England that I play. (Maybe this belongs in rant of the day, cause I could go on and on...)

I found something more irritating today. An uneven mat at the driving range. I tried turning it, but it was worn down on all four sides.

I figure if I keep going back, uneven tees shouldn't bother me after a while...

I've been noticing this quite a bit lately and it's annoying me. I've actually just been moving to a level part of the tee box to take my shot if it's bad enough. I cannot stand when the ball is above or below my feet on the tee.

At my home course, I've noticed that the tee boxes are no longer level. I will frequently get set up for a drive and notice that my feet are above or below the ground where the ball is. Or, my personal favorite, one foot is noticeably higher than the other.

I know that I could move the re-tee the ball in a different spot, but there are some holes where I can't find one leve spot at all...

Is this normal for most courses?

This annoys me, particularly when they move the tees to a corner of the tee box where there's a significant slope in one direction or another. If there's no level ground I will search for a spot where the ball is slightly above me feet so it moves slightly right to left.

I've been noticing this quite a bit lately and it's annoying me. I've actually just been moving to a level part of the tee box to take my shot if it's bad enough. I cannot stand when the ball is above or below my feet on the tee.

I'm the same way. Some of the tees at my course are like that.

This is my number 1 or 2 pet peeve. They should be level and courses should spend money to make sure they are

It's so annoying when you can't find level ground! I have this problem on a few holes.

First hole on one of my home courses slopes from back to front.

So first, your right foot is higher than your left, and second, you are trying to hit a ball teed up near your front on the upswing with a driver. SO ANNOYING!

I cannot stand uneven tee boxes but they are appearing more and more around here....

this is a problem at my home course,some of the tee's are a joke.because it's a 9 hole course they built a few new tee's for the 2nd time round and they couldn't be further away from being flat.also some of them he has built in such a way that you can't get the bigger machines onto so he cuts them onc ein a blue moon,its a joke.it's like teeing up in the rough.seriously gets me pissed off!!!!

I have a friend who used to be a supervisor for golf course construction. He has always said that tee boxes should have no more and 2 degrees of slope in any direction. I would think that would not even be noticeable. There are a few tee boxes where I play that are uneven, but since I'm a lefty they usually slope in my favor so I don't complain.

Definitely annoying when tee boxes are uneven - that's a big pet peeve of mine.

Same here. There are two courses I play that have a couple tee boxes that have uphill lies which promotes a draw/hook. Needless to say, the preferred shot on these two holes are fades...

I am glad to see a thread on this topic. I have began to notice this and it bothers me, I move the ball around some to try to find a place I am more comfortable with.

At my home course the tee boxes are fairly level, although I have played some local courses that they aren't. The manager and the pro at my home course do like to mess with the angle of the markers though. Set them slightly off kilter so they aren't perpendicular to the landing area. Funny guys!

My course has 6 or 7 things wrong with it that people whine about frequently, but all of them except occur only if you miss the fairway so they don't bother me much (i.e. hard bunkers, unplayable lays under trees, etc). One of those 2 is poorly cut fairways (spots with 3 inch grass in the middle of the fairway? Really??), but the one that bothers me the most and will be the most influential factor in me switching courses when I have the option is this one of uneven tee boxes. There is 1 box that is in just terrible condition all around, but it is almost impossible to find perfectly flat spots to hit from on over half the boxes. It just makes it so much easier to hit a ball confidently off the tee when you aren't worrying about altering stance or aim. They should most definitely be flat!

This is my #1 all time pet peeve. It's the only time during the round I except to feel total comfort with my footing/balance during a shot.

I have the same problem at my course. Some of the tee boxes are arched (high in the middle, low on the sides). I notice it more some days than others. It just depends on where they place the tee box markers. Sometimes it is wicked annoying.

The flatter, the better. On top notch courses the tees are immaculate. One of the courses north of Atlanta has holes cut in the back of the par 3 tees to practice putting while you wait to hit. Those are some of the best tees that I have ever been on. I have been on lots of tees like the ones described in previous posts as well.

i hate this! ill even move my ball back a good distance if the tee box is level or if its all hacked up to bad.

Back