I think people truly get confused on what the NCAA does and is in fact control over. I think most fans and viewers look at them as a governing body over all things university related as it relates to programs. That is just not true. If you can, and its available, look over what it is that the NCAA actually does and what they can control.

JB, as of right now, or at least until the past few years, the NCAA controls whatever it wants to control. They have the final say in whether or not a team plays in the post season or can field a team in a given sport- or even have that sport for that matter.

But institutional control is everyone. Coaches, administrators etc. It is the institution's "job" to oversee them.
Outside of dealings with Student-Athletes and their respective Sports Programs, the NCAA has not control over them.

I want to thank THP for letting us discuss this. I think that is awesome. When things like this take place, the beauty of the Internet is it allows the public to instantly share their thoughts.

Kevin

I think people truly get confused on what the NCAA does and is in fact control over. I think most fans and viewers look at them as a governing body over all things university related as it relates to programs. That is just not true. If you can, and its available, look over what it is that the NCAA actually does and what they can control.

You need to read Death to the BCS. What people think or the NCAA states what they control vs. what they really control are two vastly different things.

JB, as of right now, or at least until the past few years, the NCAA controls whatever it wants to control. They have the final say in whether or not a team plays in the post season or can field a team in a given sport- or even have that sport for that matter.
Because those games and postseason games are sanctioned by the NCAA.

You hit on something there. There seems to be a discrepancy as to what he was told. In the report it says that he was told there was some inappropriate contact, and other places he was told what really was going on in the shower. If he was really told what was going on in the shower than I don't think he went through the proper channels at all.

Agree 100%, in a case like this there is really no such thing as proper channels. You have to do the right thing period.

I think people truly get confused on what the NCAA does and is in fact control over. I think most fans and viewers look at them as a.........
JOKE!!!

This is just not the case. Keeping a program out of the post season and a bowl game is about actual sports related matters. The NCAA has a very strict rule set to which what it can be involved with. The entire purpose of the NCAA is to govern competition and competition related matters. While the story is a sports backdrop, this is NOT a competition matter.

I want to thank THP for letting us discuss this. I think that is awesome. When things like this take place, the beauty of the Internet is it allows the public to instantly share their thoughts.

Kevin

Trust me , I agree. I have no problem with this being discussed on THP. I would just perfer it to not show up on my front page. Because I want to respond and participate, but if I do I would start to get angry (at the people at PSU and the situation - not the people here). I just want to stop having this story make me angry.

You need to read Death to the BCS. What people think or the NCAA states what they control vs. what they really control are two vastly different things.
I have read it. A lot of information in that book is incorrect.

Outside of dealings with Student-Athletes and their respective Sports Programs, the NCAA has not control over them.

Right but the NCAA does have the capacity to take the privilege of having a team away. Sure they can have a club team, but it wont be sanctioned and no one with a sanctioned team will play them.

I have read it. A lot of information in that book is incorrect.

Completely disagree. Different thread for a different day, but as far as pretty much everything I have heard or researched or read, that is pretty accurate.

Please dont take offense to this, but you are again incorrect on what the NCAA does control. I have read that and it takes snippets and things out of context throughout. The NCAA is about a competition matter. This is NOT a competition related issue at this time.

Completely disagree. Different thread for a different day, but as far as pretty much everything I have heard or researched or read, that is pretty accurate.

Flat out incorrect. As someone that was employed in this world for a portion of my career, there are so many falsities in that it made some actually laugh.

Right but the NCAA does have the capacity to take the privilege of having a team away. Sure they can have a club team, but it wont be sanctioned and no one with a sanctioned team will play them.

Not without cause for a matter involving competition in some realm.

Please dont take offense to this, but you are again incorrect on what the NCAA does control. I have read that and it takes snippets and things out of context throughout. The NCAA is about a competition matter. This is NOT a competition related issue at this time.

None taken- and we can agree to disagree- but as a former scholarship athlete - I know how much of my life they controlled vs. how much they said they did. All I'm saying is the NCAA controls far more than what is stated. And the death penalty for Penn St. Football is a possibility.

None taken- and we can agree to disagree- but as a former scholarship athlete - I know how much of my life they controlled vs. how much they said they did. All I'm saying is the NCAA controls far more than what is stated. And the death penalty for Penn St. Football is a possibility.

Of course they controlled your life by a governing body as it pertains to leveling a playing field in terms of competition.

The NCAA has already stated they will not be involved with this.

The NCAA has already stated they will not be involved with this.

This is correct. Until there is some correlation between this and a NCAA matter, their hands are tied. This could be a huge publicity win for the organization that is hated such as the NCAA, and they know that. Handing down swift penalty would be an absolute PR win. But unfortunately they are not able to. The public perception will do that anyway and the university can absolutely take their own actions and keep their team off the field (which the NCAA would love).

Of course they controlled your life by a governing body as it pertains to leveling a playing field in terms of competition.

In terms of finances and I'm just talking a part time job. In terms of who you can and can't speak to. It goes beyond simply competition.

In terms of finances and I'm just talking a part time job. In terms of who you can and can't speak to. It goes beyond simply competition.

ALL of those things are related to competition. As someone that tried on many occasions to skirt those rules, they are in place for a reason and when broken down make sense. What you are describing directly falls in line with controlling a level playing field for competition.

This is correct. Until there is some correlation between this and a NCAA matter, their hands are tied. This could be a huge publicity win for the organization that is hated such as the NCAA, and they know that. Handing down swift penalty would be an absolute PR win. But unfortunately they are not able to. The public perception will do that anyway and the university can absolutely take their own actions and keep their team off the field (which the NCAA would love).

I can see your point- with out the boosters or some money changing hands.... understood man. JB you win again. And I say that sincerely. I'd post a happy icon but this thread is no place for that.

Right, and I am sure that the NCAA has been chomping at the bit to shut the football team down, like you said, it would be a big win in the world of Public Opinion for them.

As someone else mentioned, I expect the feds to get involved. Apparently Obama thinks if it's true, it's outrageous.

Kevin

Right, and I am sure that the NCAA has been chomping at the bit to shut the football team down, like you said, it would be a big win in the world of Public Opinion for them.

war.eagle. - good points man- I was thinking with my heart and not my head.

Back