Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
Great. One of my potential colleges.....sweet.

Sick

One person doesn't define an institution. Disgusting? Yes. Defines Penn State? No.

One person doesn't define an institution. Disgusting? Yes. Defines Penn State? No.

That university is a lot more than an Atheletic Director and football coach. This is sad because it will reflect onto the administrators and professors at the school who bleed for the institution, regardless of the football team.

I have to say I agree. JoePa needs to go. As an educator, it is inexcusable that no one went to the cops. As a mandated reporter it is not only your duty to report something like that to your superiors, but to also follow up and make sure progress has been made.

From what I have read Paterno fulfilled his legal obligation by reporting the 2002 incident that was brought to his attention. Fulfilled his moral obligations are up to debate.

Unfortunately this is very common behavior in education systems (not the abuse but the sweeping it under the carpet).

I have to say I agree. JoePa needs to go. As an educator, it is inexcusable that no one went to the cops. As a mandated reporter it is not only your duty to report something like that to your superiors, but to also follow up and make sure progress has been made.

They interviewed him after the last Penn State win and he was barely coherent as far as his speech.....it was bad. Penn State needs an overhaul

I need to say that I was not implying one person defines an institution. It's a huge university filled with quality students and educators. But the few involved with this situation leave a lot to be desired. Penn State is going to be damaged by this.

Kevin

They interviewed him after the last Penn State win and he was barely coherent as far as his speech.....it was bad. Penn State needs an overhaul

Yup. As much as I hate to say it, I'm shocked that he didn't follow up on it. He should be canned.

Yup. As much as I hate to say it, I'm shocked that he didn't follow up on it. He should be canned.

Absolutely. I mean I know he's been there forever but c'mon. He needs to go.

Absolutely. I mean I know he's been there forever but c'mon. He needs to go.

There is no excuse. After reporting it, you're telling me that it NEVER CAME UP AGAIN IN CONVERSATION? NEVER. No chance. This guy was like one of JoePa's son's. They discussed it again. And everyone closed their despicable eyes.

This is totally disgusting and really there is little need to be finger pointing at this point, the investigators will get to the bottom of this and the guilty parties will be punished. This is much more of a criminal issue than it is a Penn State issue.

This is totally disgusting and really there is little need to be finger pointing at this point, the investigators will get to the bottom of this and the guilty parties will be punished. This is much more of a criminal issue than it is a Penn State issue.

Well, you do have the Vice President of the university and the athletic director allegedly covering up the crime. It's not a leap to think they acted with the university in mind.

Kevin

Yes, there is some serious soul searching to be had by the athletic administration with this guy. But when JoePa reported the incident (which was brought to him by the witness of the horrible crime) to the athletic director, I'm not sure if he wanted to go to the police right away because it was just that...alleged...however, I do agree that this had to come up in later conversation and that something more needed to be done.

The souls of all who hurt children are damned internally. Joe Pa will go to hell eventually. Once Joe was informed of the crime he had a moral responsibility to follow up and make sure the criminal was exposed, arrested and handed over to the legal system. Joe Pa can play god on the football field, however, God is not a football fan or a fan of sick people who rape children and their confederates who cover up their crimes.

That university is a lot more than an Atheletic Director and football coach. This is sad because it will reflect onto the administrators and professors at the school who bleed for the institution, regardless of the football team.

I'd agree with you for every other university but PSU is different with JoePa. He IS PSU, right or wrong. Heck he's got more power than the AD and the University President combined. While he did do the bare minimum to avoid getting in trouble with PA's strict children welfare awareness laws, common sense would dictate doing more than what he did. IMO he and the university turned a blind eye to something that needed more than just that because of the relationship with Sandusky.

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

I agree Hanks. JoePa is PSU.

I'd agree with you for every other university but PSU is different with JoePa. He IS PSU, right or wrong. Heck he's got more power than the AD and the University President combined. While he did do the bare minimum to avoid getting in trouble with PA's strict children welfare awareness laws, common sense would dictate doing more than what he did. IMO he and the university turned a blind eye to something that needed more than just that because of the relationship with Sandusky.

Well, you do have the Vice President of the university and the athletic director allegedly covering up the crime. It's not a leap to think they acted with the university in mind.

Kevin

My thing is this, those 2 chose to try the cover up, the university did not instruct them to do this, they hung themselves. Yes they probably thought that it was the thing to do to protect the university but poor judgment on their part does not tarnish Penn State in my eyes. JMO

The souls of all who hurt children are damned internally. Joe Pa will go to hell eventually. Once Joe was informed of the crime he had a moral responsibility to follow up and make sure the criminal was exposed, arrested and handed over to the legal system. Joe Pa can play god on the football field, however, God is not a football fan or a fan of sick people who rape children and their confederates who cover up their crimes.

This is said with all due respect...I don't want this to turn into a sermon...seems a bit too far in a forum that really (IMO) should be free of religious doctrine...we are on the same side here, but bringing religion into the discussion seems a bit harsh.

That being said, we agree that this is a disgusting act, and JoePa, along with all of the athletic administration who knew about these allegations, should have done more to uncover such heinous behavior.

Please don't think that I was defending JoePa or the PSU adminstration who sheltered this monster. There are going to be a lot of people hurt by the actions of a few bad men, who had nothing to do with it.

This will shake penn state to its foundation.

Please don't think that I was defending JoePa or the PSU adminstration who sheltered this monster. There are going to be a lot of people hurt by the actions of a few bad men, who had nothing to do with it.

Not at all. I was just saying that JoePa and psu aren't your typical coach/college pairing. After reading all 23 pages of the indictment, I think there's no way Sandusky beats any of the charges and the only deal that is going to be made is going to be a plea deal for the least amount of jail time. The Feds don't go to that amount of trouble for that amount of time unless they have something

I became a PSU fan during the '87 Fiesta Bowl while rooting for everything that was right with PSU and Joe Pa vs everything that was wrong with Miami and Jimmy Johnson.

This hurts. As grotesque as this is I hope Joe Pa gets exonerated as much as possible from this ridiculous mess. He did report and, as narrow minded as it seems, I hope he assumed it was out of his hands at that point.

Gross spot and I really don't know what I'm spewing right now. I'm sick.

God and the euphemism that I used to compare Joe Pa to god has NOTHING to do with religion. Anybody who turns a blind eye to this type of crime deserves no mercy. Joe Pa's inflated ego and godlike status will not save him here on earth. The families of these children should sue the tar out of PSU, Joe Pa and everyone else involved. May Joe Pa's family suffer financial ruin and disgrace for his ignorance. After all, the families of the victims will suffer forever and if JP would have followed up, additional victims could have been saved.

Now if I was a religious person, I would recommend forgiveness or attempt to cover everything up, but I am hardly religious.

This is said with all due respect...I don't want this to turn into a sermon...seems a bit too far in a forum that really (IMO) should be free of religious doctrine...we are on the same side here, but bringing religion into the discussion seems a bit harsh.

That being said, we agree that this is a disgusting act, and JoePa, along with all of the athletic administration who knew about these allegations, should have done more to uncover such heinous behavior.

Back